Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harrishtweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Having spent £1,460 on a new iPhone 15 Pro Max last December, four months on it starts rebooting unexpectedly. Genius Bar in the local Apple Store diagnoses it as a failing mother board. It is repaired quickly at no cost to me, but 4 months and the motherboard fails? It has been in a Mous protective case since purchase, and has not been dropped, bumped, thumped, or even put down heavily. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Have I just been unlucky, or is Apple's quality slipping?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I would say unlucky. Did they replace the mother board when this first happened? I have had almost every iPhone form the very beginning and never had an issue like this. If this was usual, these forums would be lighting up! My 15PM has worked without flaw, just like my other iPhones.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Harrishtweed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Thank you. I have had a 5, a XR, and a SE, and all seemed to be bulletproof, so had no qualms about buying the 15. The problem was remote diagnosed last Wednesday, confirmed and repaired at the Genius Bar on Saturday, so they evidently had no doubts as to the problem. Lets's just hope it was a duff motherboard!

Reactions: Jackbequickly

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'd probably get a better case to protect the phone. The solder points in the phone can weaken with drops.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised for iPhone 14 onward. The newer chassis design allows for easier replacement of logic board.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.