Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
It’s the weight that matters. iPhones are like bricks these days compared to the halcyon days of the 6 series. So praying this pro max 16 isn’t getting any heavier.
And yet people complain apple make devices thinner…
I’d rather they make devices thinner and give them 100watt charging

• Disagree
Reactions: Chidoro and DOD250

obesechess

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2023
I know most people don't like this. But I happen to be one who buys the Pro Max because I want a large phone. This size increase looks perfect to me. Glad to see the phone is getting wider and not just taller.
I am the same - I was going to buy a 15 Pro Max to replace my 12 Pro Max before I saw the rumors, but I have cartoonishly large thumbs so I'm gonna hold out for the 16, I think.

Reactions: Saturn1217

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
I mean, it’s the most efficient way to house the triple cameras by far.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it
It's not efficient at all - the huge protuberance is awkward, makes the phone wobble when laid "flat", and catches on pockets. Efficient would be making the enclosure thick enough to fully house the cameras while having a completely flat back. The extra space could drastically increase battery life. Who cares how "thin" a phone is?? (other than Jony Ive, whom we have to thank for so many awful designs)

Reactions: nfl46 and JulianL

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
We’re tired. Imagine being an iPhone designer at Apple and making well over $200K for this…must be nice.

Really is getting pathetic now, it's about time they came out with something completely new as the design is getting very stale now.

What are the designers thinking? Lets move the button a millimetre or add a single button and call it a job well done for a year. A lot may not like Samsung on here but at least they change things now and again.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like very minimal increase. Larger screen in almost similar sized dimensions/body is good.

bigglow

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
I'm getting mine 5 months from today on day 1.

Will be replacing my 2.5yo iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I do like the size of my 15 Pro Max - but I think I'm at my limit. I don't really want anything much bigger. I'm not a yearly upgrader anyways and have no plans to upgrade to the 16 - or until an upgrade actually feels like an upgrade again....

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
It's not efficient at all - the huge protuberance is awkward, makes the phone wobble when laid "flat", and catches on pockets. Efficient would be making the enclosure thick enough to fully house the cameras while having a completely flat back. The extra space could drastically increase battery life. Who cares how "thin" a phone is?? (other than Jony Ive, whom we have to thank for so many awful designs)
It would be fascinating to see what that would deliver even just as an internal prototype. I wonder whether Apple has ever built such a beast as a test article. Even a non-working dummy accurate in dimensions and weight would be an interesting thing to play with.

The 15 Pro Max is 8.25mm thick and that includes the thickness of the display, the screen glass and the back plate so I'd guess the thickness of the battery itself is only about 4mm. The camera and lens bump adds about another 4mm so a phone as you envisage could double the battery thickness and more than double the battery volume because the extra 4mm battery thickness wouldn't need to reserve space for the PCB, connector, speakers etc. My guess is that you could get somewhere between 2.5x and 3x the battery capacity in such a phone.

I would be worried about the weight but if that could be offset somehow, maybe by finding lighter materials for the back plate, then sign me up!

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
We’re tired. Imagine being an iPhone designer at Apple and making well over $200K for this…must be nice.

View attachment 2378891
I would imagine that iPhone designers are working on multiple future brand new designs in parallel for new generations. Apple is very good at timing on the WHEN to have a new design like going from the iconic Notch to the iconic Dynamic Island.

Reactions: nfl46

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Even if the iPhone 16 Pro max become 6.9” it would still be much look smaller to even the smallest 7 inch tablet out there with 16:9 aspect ratio.. since it has more of a square and more area than 20:9… so it would still be just a phone with a long screen not a tablet or bulky on your bag to carry with and can be insert in pocket easily.. 7 inch and above with 16:9 needs a bag not the phones with 21:9 aspect ratio..

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.