Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite One

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
So I'm currently iOS 8.3, but I really want to utilize Apple Music and can't. Would you recommend an iOS firmware upgrade download for say iOS 8.4 or iOS 9.0 or should I just wait it out? I'm not terrible worried about some performance degradation (as long as it doesn't put me back to anywhere near iPhone 4s performance... that was way too slow!), but rather glitches and battery life as I'm out and about a bit and really need to rely on the battery due to not having access to a charger for multiple hours at a time. All of your input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Yeah update to ios 10.2 its a great firmware im currently using it and bugs and glitches are rare and performance is top notch but battery life is a sacrifice you have to charge it twice a day but if you actually want to get a full day out of your phone just put it in low power mode

Infinite One

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
What features do you sacrifice in low power mode?
[doublepost=1484598794][/doublepost]Also how much space does iOS take up if you use the iTunes computer installation package as my phone is really starting to run low on storage space, thanks!

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
What features do you sacrifice in low power mode?
[doublepost=1484598794][/doublepost]Also how much space does iOS take up if you use the iTunes computer installation package as my phone is really starting to run low on storage space, thanks!

To say the least i really don't know about space but what i do know is the low power doesn't really effect much accept it reduces the CPU usage and reduces some on screen effects

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here is some info on low power mode:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205234

Unfortunately your options are to stay on iOS 8.3 or update to 10.2 as Apple currently isn't signing any other versions of iOS for the iPhone 5s. In my experience battery life can generally be greatly improved by turning off "background app refresh" for any apps that you don't absolutely need it and deleting the Facebook App (if you have it, that App used to use up to 60% of my battery life every day even if I didn't open it at all).
[doublepost=1484602136][/doublepost]Also, as I understand it performance of iOS 10.2 on the iPhone 5s is good, but it will take up slightly more storage space than iOS 8.3.

Reactions: SSAJ

Infinite One

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
Oh ok thanks that's good to know, so how is battery life (approximately) in hours by turning off background app refresh and deleting Facebook?

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Oh ok thanks that's good to know, so how is battery life (approximately) in hours by turning off background app refresh and deleting Facebook?

Without turning on low power mode and with background refresh turned off and Facebook on the phone im able to get a full day out of my phone with charging it twice and yeah im an hardcore user

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.