Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My3kgt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2017
Hey guys, new to this forum but signed up hoping to find a solution to this problem.
I've had a 5s for years now running a jailbroken iOS 7.2 for a few years. Because of work I need to upgrade to at least iOS 9. Let the problems begin...
I originally started with downloading 9.3.5 and using iTunes to upgrade, failed right after extracting the files. Error 3194. Found a thread showing how to fix it by editing hosts file. Tried again, error 17 now, which also should have been fixed by the same hosts file edit. So gave up on iTunes.
Next tried a factory reset on the phone. I can reset network, settings, etc just fine, but delete data and settings, no good. Got about 1//4 of the way and went to black screen with that little loading circle in the middle of the screen. Sat like that for an hour, so I did a hard reset and got my phone working again.
Lastly I tried using imyfone program on my Windows laptop to upgrade or restore that way. Tried with both the ios9 ipsw file and by downloading newest iOS 10 thru the app, again it fails both times as soon as it's done extracting files.
Basically it's not bricked, but I seem to be permanently stuck on ios7.2.
Anyone else run into similar problems or know what may be stopping the updates/restores? Been working on it for about 4 hours now, would love any insight you could share! Thanks guys!

**Edit: it was a bad cable.... *Sigh.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.