Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I recently went on a trip to Montreal.
Because I didn't want to have to pay Data rates in Canada (because I only needed GPS), I mapped out a walking route on Google Maps. Because I wanted to be able to read street signs, etc. I really enlarged the map on my iMac, took screenshots of the various neighborhoods and walking routes of Montreal, then stitched them together in PhotoShop, creating one big map (photo) that contained all of the points of interest I wanted to see.
I then emailed the pictures to myself (as backup) and my travelling companion, so she'd have them on her phone as well.

When we got there and I opened the first map, it opened fine, but I could only zoom in so far...then when I tried to pinch out to zoom in more, it WOULD zoom temporarily, as long as I kept my fingers on the screen, BUT as soon as I took my fingers off the screen, it would zoom out the photo....not all the way down to the original "full view" size, but there was a point where my phone wouldn't let me zoom in any more. However, my friend, on her Android phone was able to zoom in on people's moles, if need be.

ANY idea why my iPhone stops my zooming capability on these pictures, yet my friend's phone zooms down to ant level?

Thanks,

Justin

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe it's just something Apple put into iOS for some (unknown) reason, from what I recall. I think I recall someone talking about an app that allows for this, but I can't recall which one it might be at the moment.

As a sidenote, you should have been able to use Google Maps in offline mode by downloading some maps of areas that you needed beforehand. Alternatively I believe some apps like Maps.me or HERE maps provide similar offline mapping abilities.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I believe it's just something Apple put into iOS for some (unknown) reason, from what I recall. I think I recall someone talking about an app that allows for this, but I can't recall which one it might be at the moment.

As a sidenote, you should have been able to use Google Maps in offline mode by downloading some maps of areas that you needed beforehand. Alternatively I believe some apps like Maps.me or HERE maps provide similar offline mapping abilities.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I know that GM will allow you download maps for offline use, but I created my own maps under Google's "My Maps" tab, and for some reason, Google hasn't allowed those to be downloaded for offline viewing yet. So, that's why I chose to send myself really large pictures, so I could just zoom in; to no avail.

I'll have to look into Maps.me and HERE maps.

Thanks again.

J.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I know that GM will allow you download maps for offline use, but I created my own maps under Google's "My Maps" tab, and for some reason, Google hasn't allowed those to be downloaded for offline viewing yet. So, that's why I chose to send myself really large pictures, so I could just zoom in; to no avail.

I'll have to look into Maps.me and HERE maps.

Thanks again.

J.
You can potentially try using the zoom feature from Accessibilty settings to zoom more than normal. It's not completely a quick thing, but could be a useful workaround if nothing else is working and you really need to do it. It should be as described at http://osxdaily.com/2014/07/01/zoom-instagram-photos-iphone-trick/

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.