Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russtic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Hull, UK
The iPhone trademark may well belong to apple after all thanks to their registration of the iEverything range.

The UKs EasyJet has been highly successful in challenging those who use easy
as part of their name. Apple may well have the same challenge.

Personally I think they have a good case, as most people associate the i____ with Apple because of the wide recognition of the iPod.

A detailed report on this can be found ..
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/iphone_trademark/

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
only problem with i____ argrument is iPhone was started to be used in 1999 well before the i___ crazy started from apple so in this case they do not have it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The writer of this article did not due his due diligence and research. Cisco did NOT market an iPhone in 2004. It pasted an iPhone sticker on an existing product for legal submission for their case but the "iPhone" was not marketed before 2006. The writer is taking Cisco's word for it because of their website, which was altered to specifically counter Apple.

Cisco had to uphold their trademark by actually making and marketing a phone called an iPhone within six years of their 1999 purchase date of the trademark.

They failed to do so.

So Steve Jobs left 'em in the lurch and announced the Apple iPhone.

Tough titties Cisco. I hate party crashers. So will the judge.

As to the "i" belonging to Apple -- their first generation iMacs were produced in late 1997, I believe -- along with the colored iBooks and the rest is history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.