Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London
It connects to wifi ports right? So would steve maybe allow skype to make a mini skype application for the iPhone? I don't know it this has been said before or not but oh well..

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
he may do, but he has said it is Apple only software going on it, so if they sort a deal out with skype like they did with google it may happen

but i think there is more chance of iChat going on there

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
iChat for sure.
This phone will come out and a couple months later a new version will be released that will have had all the kinks taken out of it and several things added on to it.
This is just what companies do. Products evolve. Fortunately, I'm in the UK and by the time the iPhone reaches these shores we may well be on the second version.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I'm guessing that there may be some sort of contractual agreement with Cingular to stop Apple from letting people make "free" phone calls over the wifi. This would be horrible for Cingular as many people could just use skype 50% or more instead of having them use the cell network.

stephenhkim

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2004
Orange County, CAL
I'm guessing that there may be some sort of contractual agreement with Cingular to stop Apple from letting people make "free" phone calls over the wifi. This would be horrible for Cingular as many people could just use skype 50% or more instead of having them use the cell network.

Therefore, the 18 months. Get it?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California

I doubt it since there are a few WM5 phones that have wifi, with users seeing no issue of using skype. However, the only issues they have see on Cingular locked/branded models is the fact cingular forces their homepage on you.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
From what I've seen of Apple's strategy with the iPods and, to a some extent, with the Macs, they seem to be marching steadily towards one goal: eliminate any reason for not buying one. With the iPods, this meant a steady stream of newer, smaller models to counter the "but its too expensive" crowd. With the Macs, Apple has bent over backwards to remind people we still run MS Office and we've got a ton of even better native apps too (plus Apple caved in an started giving away Boot Camp, the ultimate offer of appeasement).

If Apple feels the lack of Skype is a real reason people aren't adopting the iPhone in droves, then Apple will definitely do something about it. Personally, I see them working on the price/size issue first. Apple could probably make a pretty good impact on the phone market with a more traditional candybar phone without all the web-browsing/video iPod features. Sort of an iPhone nano at about $199. Maybe they could even strip out the cell phone bit and go wifi-skype all the way! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.