Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I'm on macOS 12.6. Plugged in multiple iPod Shuffles to iMac, it's recognized. Am able to selectively sync music and podcasts onto iPod Shuffle for me and the significant other. We iPod Shuffle users appreciate whatever lone Apple engineer is keeping it going, to the extent they are doing so.

iPod Shuffle still is the best hiking/workout wired music and podcast player, period. It was ultra low cost ($49), good storage size, excellent battery, and tough as hell, including the clip which has lasted probably a decade at this point -- amazing. No screen, just a few simple buttons you can press on the fly to forward, reverse, and control volume; you don't need anything else. I don't know if they designed the Shuffle to be so robust, but somehow it came out that way. I've dropped and smashed it scores of times. It just keeps on charging and playing. I love that little player with a pair of wired earbuds.

Reactions: msackey and Slix

jid963

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I'm on macOS 12.6. Plugged in multiple iPod Shuffles to iMac, it's recognized. Am able to selectively sync music and podcasts onto iPod Shuffle for me and the significant other. We iPod Shuffle users appreciate whatever lone Apple engineer is keeping it going, to the extent they are doing so.

iPod Shuffle still is the best hiking/workout wired music and podcast player, period. It was ultra low cost ($49), good storage size, excellent battery, and tough as hell, including the clip which has lasted probably a decade at this point -- amazing. No screen, just a few simple buttons you can press on the fly to forward, reverse, and control volume; you don't need anything else. I don't know if they designed the Shuffle to be so robust, but somehow it came out that way. I've dropped and smashed it scores of times. It just keeps on charging and playing. I love that little player with a pair of wired earbuds.
I completely agree on the shuffle with an old pair of corded earbuds being fantastic, but I'm struggling to get mine to work with 12.6

I'm running a new M2 Air and use my shuffle to listen to podcasts when I run. I can get podcasts to sync onto the shuffle, but they now plan in a random order. The only work around I've found is to create a station for the podcast, but that's so cumbersome I've resorted to just using my ancient MBP from 2009.

When I try to sync using the music app it opens up the finder app, is that consistent with your experience?

Reactions: Slix

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I completely agree on the shuffle with an old pair of corded earbuds being fantastic, but I'm struggling to get mine to work with 12.6

I'm running a new M2 Air and use my shuffle to listen to podcasts when I run. I can get podcasts to sync onto the shuffle, but they now plan in a random order. The only work around I've found is to create a station for the podcast, but that's so cumbersome I've resorted to just using my ancient MBP from 2009.

When I try to sync using the music app it opens up the finder app, is that consistent with your experience?
iPods sync with Finder these days, yes.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Hi everyone!

I'm syncing both a shuffle 1st Gen an iPod Classic last Gen and an iPod Nano 6th Gen. All of these are working with Mac OS Monterey 12.6.1 on my 2015 MacBook Pro just fine, except there was an issue at first getting the Nano to sync. The Nano would show up, but the sync would never complete. Eventually I found the answer was to just "reset to factory default" in the Music menu and after I did that it's syncing perfectly now. If you have any issues with your older iPod not Syncing with your new Mac or Mac OS version, try a factory reset to see if that fixes it!

As fas as the Shuffle goes, Wow I can't believe that the 1st Gen is still working so good, is still supported on my Mac, and still has a lot of battery life in it.

Unbelievable!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.