Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
A loose keyboard/mouse/display on stage is not an option.

If having a Studio and a MacBook on stage is acceptable then surely having a Studio and an integrated monitor, trackpad and keyboard is also acceptable?

There are lots of options, here’s the first search result:

This seems so much simpler, especially if latency is of any concern at all.

npn

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
I just confirmed what I mentioned above, using NoMachine. I have NoMachine running in server mode on my MacStudio M2 Max, and in client mode on my Early 2015 MacBook Pro. The MacStudio behaves exactly as it would if I were sitting in front of it, sound comes out of the speaker, display is unaltered, I see the mouse movement, and the results of my typing, etc. I am just controlling it from my MacBook Pro sitting a few feet away.

Reactions: StuAff and b17777

jjl1579

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
Late to this party but I have the same issue, needed to take my studio on the road and I want to run it from my M1 pro. From what I gather there were only 2 options since the machine will need to be powered on a few times and none of the services are running unless you put the Studio into a headless mode ( no password, no FileVault, screen sharing on, i.e. zero security) . super bad idea. Use an external monitor and keyboard, the keyboard needs to be USB, since Bluetooth service is not running until you log in. My solution is a 5-inch to 7-inch HDMI monitor, a mini keyboard and mouse, one Thunderbolt cable, and I'm in. The keyboard and mouse I use on the laptop anyway, so the only additional piece is the mini HDMI monitor used to log in, and that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.