Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
For me it feels so much like it, not that the M3 is a failure by any means but history repeats itself with the M4 being launched so soon after M3’s release like the A6X to the A5X. Plus there is plenty more devices with the M2 and the A5 back then and although there was a lack of A6 silicon devices afterwards there will be plenty of M4/A18 devices ( A17 Pro kinda also reminds me of the A11 Bionic if Apple puts it only on iPhones)

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
For me it feels so much like it, not that the M3 is a failure by any means but history repeats itself with the M4 being launched so soon after M3’s release like the A6X to the A5X. Plus there is plenty more devices with the M2 and the A5 back then and although there was a lack of A6 silicon devices afterwards there will be plenty of M4/A18 devices ( A17 Pro kinda also reminds me of the A11 Bionic if Apple puts it only on iPhones)
Interesting thought! In terms of release timing, yes. But in terms of why they’re releasing M4 so soon, I think it’s completely different. The A5X struggled to drive the Retina display in the 3rd gen iPad, and also apple wanted to move the whole iOS line to lightning from the 30 pin connector. Both of those combined meant that we got a shorter cycle with the 3rd gen ipad. The reason for the M4 coming so soon is the N3E architecture coming online, whereas the N3B used in the M3 was always a stop-gap until N3E came online.

So it’s kinda similar, but kinda not!

Last edited:
Reactions: Homme and dexterie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.