Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I remember typing on the M1 14/16 MBPs and hating the feel of the keyboards. They felt very stiff, especially compared to my 2019 16" Intel MBP and my M1 MBA.

I was at the Apple Store last week and I practiced typing on the new 14/16 M3 MBPs and the keyboard felt like it had more travel and even softer feel than the M1 machines.

Am I mistaken or was there a change made to the newer M3 models?

Last edited:

xennial

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Hi. Just signed up for this forum for this specific issue/question/topic.
I just received a new 16" M3 Pro last week, and sitting next to it is my 13.3" M1 MBP, which I bought new on clearance about a month ago - screen was a little small to deal with when not plugged into my desk monitor, so I ended up ordering the 16.
I was surprised to find a noticeable typing-feel-difference, because my understanding was that the keyboards were the same.
Keystroke length is similar or the same, but the initial press on the M1 keyboard requires slightly more pressure, and then feels like it kinda pulls your finger thru the rest of the keystroke, doing most of the work for you. I actually love the keyboard on the M1, and bummed the 16 isn't the same, to the point where I'm considering returning the M3 and just dealing with the 13.3 screen when I travel.
Edit: I'm new to mac, was under the impression that all the MBP's of a given generation are supposed to have the same keyboard, appreciate the correction if that's not the case (13.3 vs 14)

Last edited:

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Hi. Just signed up for this forum for this specific issue/question/topic.
I just received a new 16" M3 Pro last week, and sitting next to it is my 13.3" M1 MBP, which I bought new on clearance about a month ago - screen was a little small to deal with when not plugged into my desk monitor, so I ended up ordering the 16.
I was surprised to find a noticeable typing-feel-difference, because my understanding was that the keyboards were the same.
Keystroke length is similar or the same, but the initial press on the M1 keyboard requires slightly more pressure, and then feels like it kinda pulls your finger thru the rest of the keystroke, doing most of the work for you. I actually love the keyboard on the M1, and bummed the 16 isn't the same, to the point where I'm considering returning the M3 and just dealing with the 13.3 screen when I travel.
Edit: I'm new to mac, was under the impression that all the MBP's of a given generation are supposed to have the same keyboard, appreciate the correction if that's not the case (13.3 vs 14)

The 13" M1 MBP does not have the same style as the 14"/16" M1/M2/M3 series MBPs. The 13" M1/M2 MBPs use the same body as the older Intel MBPs (despite having the newer Apple Silicon processors). There is a huge difference in keyboard feel between the two body styles. My advice is to try to get used to the newer design because I don't think Apple is going back to the older design.

Are you sure the 16" size isn't the thing that's bothering you? Because I spent almost 1.5 hours at the Apple Store typing on the 14" and 16" and I found the 16" to be very uncomfortable compared to the 14", largely due to the placement of the forearms. The 14" felt much more normal and very similar to my 13" M1 MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.