Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
You wrong, because I’m Big Sur I didn’t have news app because I did an upgrade to Big Sur and I went to apple store and downloaded news app and got stuck with it.

I never seen it before and wanted that ry it out because I have apple one. So I know for a fact when you come from older OS that never had it in the first place when you upgrade it doesn’t install the app. Dec 2020 I didn’t have this all and I’m running Big Sur since beta 1 when it came out in June

if I never went to apple store on Jan 2021 and downloaded my self to this day I would never have had the news app.

For same reason I dont have memo voice on my iOS device and everyone else has it with iOS 14.
The ONLY way to remove system application like News, Home, Stock, etc on Big Sur is to exactly like i pointed early.
You have to dance with disable sip and authentication root, and make volume writable. Then you can remove anything you don't like and bless new volume.

Reactions: Yebubbleman

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Not a meaningful effect.
Activity Monitor shows over the last 12 hours News has used more "Energy" (i.e. CPU time) than any other app except my web browser, and it's a pretty close second.

Considering I've never in my life read an article and probably last launched it a year ago... that's totally unacceptable.

It also had a gigabyte of article images in my Library folder, though that dropped down to 100KB when I opened News.app to try and figure out if there was any way to disable it.

(By the way I like Apple's news service, but I do all my reading on my iPad or iPhone. Never with my iMac)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The only way you're removing a stock app from Big Sur (i.e. any app that comes by default in a standard installation of Big Sur) is by doing what @sashavegas outlined. It's a massive pain in the ass and, in many ways, it's not worth doing, especially since the app is not very large and its existence doesn't eat up enough resources to really matter on any Mac capable of running Big Sur to begin with. Ignoring its existence is the best way to go. Also the most stable solution.

As for iOS and iPadOS, when you delete a stock app from your home screen, you are not technically uninstalling it from your device. Much in the same way as with Catalina and Big Sur (and Monterey thereafter), the stock apps live in a read-only volume. All you are doing is removing the app from your home screen and its settings from the settings app. It is still on your device and "downloading" it from the App Store to put it back is nothing more than issuing a command to un-hide it.

Reactions: jagooch

MarciaFunebre

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
The Console is plastered with error messages regarding the NewsToday2 daemon.
I would love it if there was a way, a script or something that prevents that useless crap from running in the first place.

AlanEsh

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2021
The app impact is insignificant. Disabling ceritificated root removes a strong safety feature. You can remove widgets from showing up and turn of Notifications. This whole thing it silly.
I don't call 5GB of data over the past week "insignificant". I -never- open Apple News on my Mac, and it used about 10x as much data than any other app over the past two weeks.

I have just disabled the widget, will see if it reduces the data and cpu hogging, but it certainly hasn't stopped "NewsToday2" from loading and pulling more data. Will keep an eye on it for a few days.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I do not like how the Apple News App. loads every time I reboot my M1 MacMini. I not a fan of it at all. I gave the pay version as well as the free version a chance. But I don't like Apple shoving it onto my desktop.

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
I stopped even glancing at Apple News after seeing a feature article on Stephan Miller on its front page several Saturdays ago. I subscribe to news sources I choose to read. Apple News is not one of those. I can't even imagine Steve Jobs ever forcing Mac Owners to read a less than mediocre rag like Apple News. If you read Jobs' biography it becomes immediately apparent that quality, both inside and out, both seen and unseen are/were at the foundation core of his very being. I doubt he would even allow this piece-of-junk news source on the devices he represents, let alone force every Mac user to have it on their devices, like it or not.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
I stopped even glancing at Apple News after seeing a feature article on Stephan Miller on its front page several Saturdays ago. I subscribe to news sources I choose to read. Apple News is not one of those. I can't even imagine Steve Jobs ever forcing Mac Owners to read a less than mediocre rag like Apple News. If you read Jobs' biography it becomes immediately apparent that quality, both inside and out, both seen and unseen are/were at the foundation core of his very being. I doubt he would even allow this piece-of-junk news source on the devices he represents, let alone force every Mac user to have it on their devices, like it or not.
I'm not sure what the article on Stephen Miller (former advisor to Trump) was about, or whether it was positive or critical of him (or neither). But you seem to be complaining that there would be ANY article about him at all (positive or negative). He was an advisor to the president, so what's wrong with having an article about someone who was in such a position of power?

emulator

macrumors 6502a
He forced iTunes on us. Also if your whining was less biased, maybe it'd had some validity.

Reactions: Nicole1980

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
He forced iTunes on us. Also if your whining was less biased, maybe it'd had some validity.
Agreed

On the broader point, I lean more mod/democrat, but I think the problem with the U.S. now is that liberals shut out all voices of conservatives and don't listen to them, REALLY LISTEN to them, and the same goes for conservatives who immediately shut out sources they view as liberal.

I'm far from saying you'll agree with them, but at least really listen and hear where they're coming from. Most people on both sides of the aisle have genuine concerns they're trying to address.

With the kind of complete close-mindedness going on there's little hope for us.

digphotobyfrank

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
There is no winning today. I left Windows because it was constantly crashing and moved to Mac who, in about 10 years, became just as bad if not worse. The gated community and "we know better than you" attitude is no longer ignorable. I think the worst thing of all, besides Big Sur itself, has to be the apologists you constantly encounter who continue to be blindly devoted to a narcissist long dead and the operating system he touted as revolutionary but today is in fact mediocre at best. Those apologists, once beliving in the promise of a computer system for all do not seem to understand that the hippie counter-culter was not strong enough to survive the real world and in the end sold out to "The Man". Revenue is the only reason for deeming a news app as critical to the OS and thus unable to be deleted. That loyalty to money is lost (or ignored in shame) by the apologists who simply imply "it's for your own good", just ignore it.

Reactions: almeath

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The News service can be stopped with
Code:
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.newsd
and disabled with
Code:
launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.newsd
To enable it again
Code:
launchctl enable gui/501/com.apple.newsd

Reactions: katbel

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I do not like how the Apple News App. loads every time I reboot my M1 MacMini. I not a fan of it at all. I gave the pay version as well as the free version a chance. But I don't like Apple shoving it onto my desktop.
This. I remember when Microsoft was forced to unbundle apps from Windows by they EU. Now Apple is doing the same thing that got Microsoft in trouble!

I'd like to get rid of it as well. I noticed via Little Snitch that even though I haven't opened the app, it has still makes network connections. I have it blocked, but I'd rather just not have it on my computer.
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 3.05.08 PM.png

Reactions: katbel

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The only way you're removing a stock app from Big Sur (i.e. any app that comes by default in a standard installation of Big Sur) is by doing what @sashavegas outlined. It's a massive pain in the ass and, in many ways, it's not worth doing, especially since the app is not very large and its existence doesn't eat up enough resources to really matter on any Mac capable of running Big Sur to begin with. Ignoring its existence is the best way to go. Also the most stable solution.

As for iOS and iPadOS, when you delete a stock app from your home screen, you are not technically uninstalling it from your device. Much in the same way as with Catalina and Big Sur (and Monterey thereafter), the stock apps live in a read-only volume. All you are doing is removing the app from your home screen and its settings from the settings app. It is still on your device and "downloading" it from the App Store to put it back is nothing more than issuing a command to un-hide it.
Actually, now looking back at this, what I said here would've applied to macOS Catalina, but doesn't apply to macOS Big Sur or macOS Monterey. Both of those don't even mount the system volume with the OS. They instead mount a snapshot of it. And only Apple can change the contents of what's in that system volume. So, you can't even remove stock apps.

• Wow
Reactions: dakwar and jagooch

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
The News service can be stopped with
Code:
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.newsd
and disabled with
Code:
launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.newsd
To enable it again
Code:
launchctl enable gui/501/com.apple.newsd
Hi all,
Just recently I found this thread, so after a year ....

First let me report that the suggested "launchctl" commands do not work for me,
neither on Big Sur nor on Monterey, neither as administrator nor as root.
Most likely APPLE shut another door.

Then, the comments above saying that not reading the news would not harm anyone is a bit simple minded:
I wrote a little program that every hour deletes the incoming news files;
WELL .... the first cleanup deleted .... 60000 files and directories!!!!!
If that is no sheer pollution of both my systems and backups ....
I do not seem to remember any related question asked when I installed the current macOS systems.
Asking if you have any interest in the (USA) news is probably too much.
;JOOP!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
I looked at Apple News once. To me it seemed to lean away from center politically toward an extreme that I was not enamored with. Never looked again.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I looked at Apple News once. To me it seemed to lean away from center politically toward an extreme that I was not enamored with. Never looked again.

It gives you what you ask for. If you look at stories that are left-leaning, it gives you more of those. If you look at stories that are right-leaning, it gives you more of those.

mikegem

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Have just found this thread. I want to either delete News or block it from launching any processes. I have a GPU (RX 5700 XT). When I need to disconnect (eject) the GPU, I get a message that a process (NewsToday2) is using the GPU and has to be quit before disconnection. It's a pain, prevents me from shutting the GPU down when I want to reduce power draw.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I found this thread also hoping to find a way to delete the News app. I see some members just saying hide it or don't use it, my problem is I recently decided to use my old iMac as our family computer and I don't want my preteen kids finding and launching the News app reading about some mass shooting or all the other crazy stuff in today's news. This wasn't very well thought out by Apple (or maybe it was ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.