Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I've seen a brief discussion about this elsewhere, but I can't seem to understand how the promotion works.

What happened is I was charged for the MacBook Air I ordered AND, separately, for the gift card.

I'm also attaching a screenshot for reference, here is the translation:

Subtotal€ 2.109,00
Free shipping€ 0,00
Total including taxes€ 2.109,00
Total savings€ 150,00

In detail:

The M2 MacBook Air, with a few extras, costs € 2.109 on the Italian store. I had € 745 in old gift cards, which I applied to the order, bringing the total to € 1.364.

€ 1.364 were charged on my card and then, separately, € 150 were also charged.

The previuos discussion I read seemed to imply that the amount of the promotional gift card is subtracted from the price of the Mac and then added as a separate item to make accounting and returns easier, which could kind of make sense. The problem is that I'm still seeing the configuration I chose at the same price on the store, so nothing was subtracted.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (which could absolutely be the case) I paid full price for both the Mac and the gift card, so I honestly don't understand the promotion.

Any good soul here willing to help me understand?

Edit (November 12th):

The € 150 charge was reversed after a few days, without me even asking about it, which leads me to believe it indeed was an error and that it was picked up by their accounting department.

The gift card is in my inbox and the Mac has shipped 🥳

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Based on the breakdown you posted, it makes sense to me. You're paying full price for the MacBook, which will broken down with whatever payments and credits you're using, and you will also receive the gift card, displayed on the last line.

mhnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Based on the breakdown you posted, it makes sense to me. You're paying full price for the MacBook, which will broken down with whatever payments and credits you're using, and you will also receive the gift card, displayed on the last line.

The gift card was part of the Black Friday promotion, though, so why am I paying full price for both the Mac and the gift card?

The way I see it, for the promotion to make sense, either:

1. I pay the full price for the Mac and get the gift card for free;
  2. The Mac is discounted by the amount of the gift card, which I then pay separately;
Option number 2 does make more sense, because if I return the Mac I don’t also get a refund for the gift card which I may have already used.

The problem is that I paid the full amount for Mac, without the discount, and then the full amount for the gift card in a separate payment.

mhnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
You were charged correctly. The reason Apple does it that way is so that people don't try and take advantage just to get the gift card.

I think like we’re trying to express the same concept 😊

English isn’t my first language, though, so I might not be expressing myself correctly.

What you just said absolutely makes sense, and I feel it would be what I described as option number 2 above.

What I’m trying to say is that if in this very moment I attempt to buy a Mac with the same configuration, PLUS a € 150 gift card - all this while the Black Friday promotion has obviously ended - I’ll spend the exact same total amount.

That’s what I don’t get, there was no price reduction in the first place, so the amount of the gift card was just added on top of the full price of the Mac.

Last edited:

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I think like we’re trying to express the same concept 😊

English isn’t my first language, though, so I might not be expressing myself correctly.

What you just said absolutely makes sense, and I feel it would be what I described as option number 2 above.

What I’m trying to say is that if in this very moment I attempt to buy a Mac with the same configured, PLUS a € 150 gift card - all this while the Black Friday promotion has obviously ended - I’ll spend the exact same total amount.

That’s what I don’t get, there was no price reduction in the first place, so the amount of the gift card was just added on top of the full price of the Mac.
You are saying you were charged based on your credit card records? Because the screenshot of the order summary doesn’t show a charge for the gift card.🤔

mhnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
You are saying you were charged based on your credit card records? Because the screenshot of the order summary doesn’t show a charge for the gift card.🤔

The screenshot is just what I see on the Apple Store app.

But yes, my card shows two charges:
  • One for the full amount of the Mac (minus the Apple credit I already had)
  • One for the gift card

mhnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I just added a note to the original post, the issue has been resolved.

Thanks, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.