Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Who knows for sure. Some rumors are saying a new 27 iMac is still coming, but I'm guessing not. I think this is the permanent replacement. It has a couple advantages. An all in one was always a compromise. It saves a lot of desk space, but it compromises performance, using laptop grade components to avoid overheating. Many have derided iMacs as glorified laptops. But now that the age of bulky desktop towers is over, you can have the best of both worlds: true desktop level power but in a setup that doesn't take up that much more space on your desk than an all in one. Apple might have just been waiting until they could pack this much power into this small a form factor to kill off the big screen all in one.

Oh......and if you have to buy the computer and the monitor separately, you are almost definitely going to be spending more money. I almost forgot that part.

But then again.....maybe none of this is set in stone. If sales of the Apple Studio are disappointing, maybe they will reconsider and we will see a new 27 inch iMac. Maybe people will vote on this with their wallets. If sales are good, not only may we see the end of the 27 inch, but I could even see them discontinuing the 24 inch iMac. Again arguing all in ones are the product of a bygone era of hulking desktop towers. For non power users, they will say just get a Mac mini and a monitor. Maybe they will even make a 24 inch Studio Display to go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horizon Man

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I still think when they refresh the 24" iMac with the M2 chip there's a chance they announce its now available "in two great sizes" and do the 27", but its hard not to think Apple believe an M1 Mini & Studio Display is their solution for people who want larger screens.

That said, surely a 27" iMac won't take much in the way of extra cost to R&D if they just take the same internals and chuck in a 27" panel from the Studio Display?

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Part of me likes the idea of separating the monitor from the CPU - my late 2015 27" 5K Retina is still gorgeous - the computer itself is less than gorgeous. It is sad that upgrading the computer throws the baby out with the bathwater.

Going with the Studio and the 27" 5K monitor - 5-6 years down the road, I can buy a new 'Studio' and keep my monitor.

This first purchase will be painful $$-wise, but looking to future purchases, kinda makes sense.

Now I have to decide if buying a Max MBP 16 instead of the Studio - using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard - plugging into the 27" monitor - gives me some extra flexibility for maybe another $1k+.

The MB Pro will have its own idiosyncrasies - temperature - but being able to unplug and go has its benefits.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Part of me likes the idea of separating the monitor from the CPU - my late 2015 27" 5K Retina is still gorgeous - the computer itself is less than gorgeous. It is sad that upgrading the computer throws the baby out with the bathwater.

Going with the Studio and the 27" 5K monitor - 5-6 years down the road, I can buy a new 'Studio' and keep my monitor.

This first purchase will be painful $$-wise, but looking to future purchases, kinda makes sense.

Now I have to decide if buying a Max MBP 16 instead of the Studio - using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard - plugging into the 27" monitor - gives me some extra flexibility for maybe another $1k+.

The MB Pro will have its own idiosyncrasies - temperature - but being able to unplug and go has its benefits.
Has anyone tried Luna Display? They say Mac to Mac without Target Mode - units later than 2011 - running os after El Capitan...

mac-to-mac mode​

Extend your display to any Mac using Luna Display’s Mac-to-Mac Mode. Need a larger display option? Use any extra Mac computer as a second or extended display of your primary Mac computer. Dust off your old Macs and use them as an external monitor! Any combination of Mac models can be used for this Mode:
  • iMac + MacBook Pro
  • MacBook + MacBook
  • Mac mini + MacBook (MacBook as main display for Mac mini)

Mac-to-Mac Mode Features​

• Trackpad support for both computers
  • Keyboard support for both computers
  • Works with older Mac models (Secondary Mac)

Minimum Requirements​

• Primary Mac must be a 2011 model or later, and running macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) or later
  • Secondary Mac must be a Mac running macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) or later

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018

If there is a use case that you will have to be portable, get the Macbook.

Otherwise, the Studio is superior and cheaper than the Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.