Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
iTMS a victim of its own success

Given Jobs's comments about trouble sorting out the licensing for iTMS Europe, I wonder whether it is a victim of its own success. Originally the big 5 agreed that Apple could do its experiment on its little niche of the market - US Mac customers.

After the rampant success, lots of other players seem to have found it really easy to get licences off the big 5 with sometime better deals than Apple (slightly cheaper, or in Europe).

I wonder whether the big 5 thought, "OK, the subscription model's not working, let see if we can do tight DRM but with per-song sales with other players and make some money off that" As a result they are still blinkered to the fact that it is not the per-song model that makes iTMS successful but rather the relatively open DRM and being closer to owning the music you buy. As a result they are holding Apple back on the licensing for Europe to see whether they can get away with stricter DRM.

Who knows?

Sanj

Javdogjavdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2003
Santa Cruz
Insomnia not cured by reading macrumors.com

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
they cant let you do that because then you could have backed it up or something.

I am pretty sure that e-bay guy went to crazy lengths to do it legally. Up to and including subsequently deleting the file.

Buymusic.com is interesting because its music files (Windows Media?) won't work on an iPod, so you save a quarter, right, but what good does it do you?

I do think that this is a Windows related shutdown coming up. Apple likes to keep us drooling. I use an iBook, but, like most Macusers, I would derive a certain satisfaction from seeing the Windows community be exposed to and craving more of the Mac platform.

I keep reading how several competing sites will challenge the iTMS this fall. The bottom line is iTunes for Windows would blow them all away, as long as we could get people to use it.

Free distribution of iTunes for XP would go a long way to sell more iMacs! Que no?

One Love.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by Genie
of course kazaa has outages too...

oh...maybe it doesn't.

Kazaa runs on 200 MILLION servers around the world! And at any given time, MOST OF THEM ARE DOWN!

Originally posted by Cochrane
The latter would be rather pointless. Since these protected AACs can only be read by iTunes (and the Quicktime Player, but that's no real music app) still using Musicmatch Jukebox would mean that you have to use one app (iTunes) for downloading and playing, and another (Musicmatch) only for your iPod.

Stop there.

Is it just me, or is that the most anti-Apple thing Apple could do?

Guys, this is nothing. Servers go down every once in awhile for maintenance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.