Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Side Loading will be the end of secure iOS

If you think the app store keeps you safe then I have a lot of magic beans to sell you.
If anything opening up and allowing side loading would force app to stay more up on their game on security. It is surprising easy to get around app reviewer. Hell you could put something in your code that allows some deep access and massive security hole and the reviewers would never catch it. Big time if you put it on a delay function or with a remote configuration file/ feature flag. Turn it off during the review and then turn it on later. It would be installed on a multiple phones at that point and problem solved.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Customers voice is not ignored; we have the ultimate power to determine what products Apple makes by either buying it or not. If we don’t like the product that Apple is making we send them that message by not buying it.
Easier to say than to do... switching to another OS nowadays its not like changing underwear brand... Personally i still have an iphone 8 and an imac 27 2019, and no intentions to buy new gear as nothing new appeals me right now. However im alone, as there are still tons of persons buying a new phone because "battery is old" or "sometimes it crashes"... phones seems the only devices in the world that must be replaced instead of repaired...

Reactions: AppliedMicro

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Easier to say than to do... switching to another OS nowadays its not like changing underwear brand... Personally i still have an iphone 8 and an imac 27 2019, and no intentions to buy new gear as nothing new appeals me right now. However im alone, as there are still tons of persons buying a new phone because "battery is old" or "sometimes it crashes"... phones seems the only devices in the world that must be replaced instead of repaired...
If nothing appeals to you, then maybe you prefer to stay in the walled garden.

It really depends on how invested people are and whether they are willing to practice what they preach. It’s hypercritical to "do as i say and not as I do". If people don’t prefer the Apple Ecosystem, they are free to leave any time.

People can crap on all they want about 'how bad Apple is' not allowing side loading, but whinging about it and going straight back to the iPhone is just boring rhetoric imo. We all have choices.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
If nothing appeals to you, then maybe you prefer to stay in the walled garden.

It really depends on how invested people are and whether they are willing to practice what they preach. It’s hypercritical to "do as i say and not as I do". If people don’t prefer the Apple Ecosystem, they are free to leave any time.

People can crap on all they want about 'how bad Apple is' not allowing side loading, but whinging about it and going straight back to the iPhone is just boring rhetoric imo. We all have choices.
u misunderstood... i said nothing new APPLE stuff appeals me, so im stuck with "old" devices, and even if my iphone's battery is really really bad, ill rather change it than getting a new iphone. i still want to be in the apple ecosystem, dont care if walled or not, but i do it "my way" dont buying new stuff. while most people upgrades/replaces phone like being in an endless inertia. And if this inertia will never slow down, apple will continuosly raise prices, zero innovating, and lowering overall quality, because people will still buy... Dunno if someone here noticed that iphones (and competition's phones) are the almost the only consumer products that raised almost +200% price in 15 years. Just to compare, in those years i had 3 tv's: 42" lcd, 55" led 3d, 75" 4k, all similar quality, all similar price. Similar example can be extend to cars if we exclude recent events, and too many other hi-tech stuff. NOTHING raised its price so high like phones and the fact an iphone 15 is 100X times technology packed than iphone 2g means nothing as every other device's technology is upgraded too: tv's and cars are the perfect example.

Reactions: steve09090

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
u misunderstood... i said nothing new APPLE stuff appeals me, so im stuck with "old" devices, and even if my iphone's battery is really really bad, ill rather change it than getting a new iphone. i still want to be in the apple ecosystem, dont care if walled or not, but i do it "my way" dont buying new stuff. while most people upgrades/replaces phone like being in an endless inertia. And if this inertia will never slow down, apple will continuosly raise prices, zero innovating, and lowering overall quality, because people will still buy... Dunno if someone here noticed that iphones (and competition's phones) are the almost the only consumer products that raised almost +200% price in 15 years. Just to compare, in those years i had 3 tv's: 42" lcd, 55" led 3d, 75" 4k, all similar quality, all similar price. Similar example can be extend to cars if we exclude recent events, and too many other hi-tech stuff. NOTHING raised its price so high like phones and the fact an iphone 15 is 100X times technology packed than iphone 2g means nothing as every other device's technology is upgraded too: tv's and cars are the perfect example.
Fair enough. Interestingly, at least here in Australia, houses have also increased at least 100% in the past 15 years.

And there are definitely reasons why devices have increased that much. Being inflation (obviously) payment for ongoing patents, increased (added) technology, not just replacement parts like screens and software. But I take your point and there is definitely a solid, and compelling argument to keep doing what you’re doing. The iPhone 8 is a brilliant phone and the only reason I can see why people should upgrade is if their use dictates that. For example, I wanted the LiDAR as it was useful for doing floor plans. But as a phone, the iPhone 8 did/does the exact same thing as my iPhone 12 Pro or 15 Pros did/does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.