Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
I wish Apple would be consistent with naming across the board. Their most expensive Apple Watch is called ultra not pro. Apple Pencil Pro actually makes sense because it offers utility the USB version doesn’t.
Ultra fits better with sports and health.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Your point ultimately is?

Mac pundits are allowed to have different priorities, concerns, or attitudes about different products.

I think the attitude of treating the iPad Pro as a Lexus instead of a Toyota is an apt one because that's acceptance of the status quo and what Apple has been doing with the iPad—that is, incremental improvements that do not materially make it substantially better for professional use cases, alongside a failure to reimagine or retool stuff that was half-baked years ago (multitasking remains wacky) or low-hanging fruit that hasn't been touched (the freakin' Calculator application.)

But this also ties into the recurring issue people seem to have with Apple. To Apple, "Pro" means nothing more than high-end. That the high-end jives with professional needs and wants is sort of besides the point half the time versus boosting ASP.
My point is Gruber can have this take because the Mac is his main computing device. If someone was arguing macOS needed to be simplified to accommodate touch I doubt he’d be on board.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
No, a professional chooses the right tool for the job. Computers are not tied to desks work or indirect input anymore which suits a range of professions. A carpenter will always need a hammer and a screwdriver in the toolbox.

I think what is being advocated is that an all in one macOS + iPadOS running iPad Pro can be the entire "toolbox" and can accomplish both the hammer and screwdriver jobs

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No, a professional chooses the right tool for the job. Computers are not tied to desks work or indirect input anymore which suits a range of professions. A carpenter will always need a hammer and a screwdriver in the toolbox.
Let’s be real here… it is about the money. It’s a reason Apple is in the position they are in… I can respect they want users to buy two devices instead of one. It is what it is. But given Apple have crazy amount of resources to throw at a problem… leads me to believe they are alright with the status quo.

And I think any sane individual would do the same if they were in Apple situation, the folks asking for this “macOS on an iPad” has nothing to lose (it won’t affect their revenue)… it would be Apple taking the loss.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
the folks asking for this “macOS on an iPad” has nothing to lose (it won’t affect their revenue)… it would be Apple taking the loss.

The issue I have here is that it's completely clouded their ability to make "the best products possible for customers"

It seems clear that development on iPadOS is hamstrung by not wanting to make it a full blown "can do everything macOS can do" device ... to protect Mac sales (and vice versa)

This is not a good long term direction for Apple
It's short term thinking and a serious deviation from making "the best products" which is what got them here.

Reactions: Rogifan

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I don’t believe there’s nobody at Apple who could figure this out.

they want users to buy two devices instead of one. (…) given Apple have crazy amount of resources to throw at a problem… leads me to believe they are alright with the status quo.

Did all the smart folks at Microsoft figure it out? After throwing lots of resources at the (alleged) problem, did the Surface devices set the computing world on fire?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
"But what if we’re thinking about this wrong?"

..admits a few sentences later he still has and uses a 2018 iPad Pro. Yeah, no. Nice try Gruber.

He thinks it's a phenomenal product totally worth buying, only his own actions indicate otherwise.

We aren't thinking about it wrong. The asking price for these devices is patently absurd for the 'hamstrung' OS.
It's a Lexus running Toyota OS.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I wouldn't say apple needs to give macOS but a desktop button to activate on the iPad. basically like dex on Samsung tablets. I love my iPad for what it does and my usage and my Mac is also used a fair amount as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Did all the smart folks at Microsoft figure it out? After throwing lots of resources at the (alleged) problem, did the Surface devices set the computing world on fire?
But Apple had iPadOS. I’d argue it’s easier to add functionality to a touch OS than it is to make a mouse OS good for touch.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

Would you say macOS is better than Windows?
And would you also say iPadOS is better than Windows (for tablets)?

It's easy to see that two better OSes on better Apple hardware would make for a FAR more compelling combo device than the Surfaces

And that said - I know several people who've LOVED their Surfaces (real estate folks)

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I think what is being advocated is that an all in one macOS + iPadOS running iPad Pro can be the entire "toolbox" and can accomplish both the hammer and screwdriver jobs
I think it is better that these tools should develop along their respective trajectories to best support different professionals and computing needs. A jack of all trades will not be favored by many professionals. Every single tool I can think of is specialized for a job to meet professional standards.

An iPad pro with Macos will only, at best, take sales from MacBook Air. I bet most MacBook airs and iMacs are for light computer usage while many “pro” gravitates towards Apples other Macs.

Reactions: kltmom

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wouldn't say apple needs to give macOS but a desktop button to activate on the iPad. basically like dex on Samsung tablets. I love my iPad for what it does and my usage and my Mac is also used a fair amount as well.

I agree. I don’t think superimposing macOS on iPad would be the proper solution

but iOS is long in the tooth in so many ways and not even talking tablet specific feature even focused on iPhone :

notification “organization“ is an unmitigated disaster
messages is serviceable but has not changed in forever barring stickers and emojis and staying off SMS compression and limitations
settings is a nightmare for anyone not tech savvy and overwhelming
iOS icons same for 10 years now since ios 7
camera app way too basic. The overlay looks boring
music App was a disaster when they shoehorned in Apple Music service. Better now but no UX gain over Spotify barring curated playlists which is more content than UX
phone app is dreary in call with the monotone grey backdrop in ios 17 why did they stop letting people customize that
accepting, ending, or holding call is confusing for average user
control center has not been refined since its inception
autocorrect somehow always gets worse

just because I know how to navigate around these things doesnt mean I’m pumped about it.

If they are trying their best to convince us iPad is another class of computer, and not simply the best tablet (which has merits, fwiw) or a blown up version of iPhone that's a luxury, they haven't done a great job showing us that.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
An iPad pro with Macos will only, at best, take sales from MacBook Air.

A. We don't know that
B. If it did, who cares? If one device meets the needs of a customer who previously "dealt" with two devices, great!

Making the best products for the customers is what got Apple here

Artificially segmenting things so people "have to buy more" is a road to nowhere long term

Also - keep in mind - the combo device need not be the only offering from Apple!
They'll still, I'm sure, sell various discrete devices on both sides (mac and ipad)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, Microsoft attempted to with Windows RT… and I believe they were on the right track. But received a lot of criticism… they couldn’t really see it through, had to resort back.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
A. We don't know that
B. If it did, who cares? If one device meets the needs of a customer who previously "dealt" with two devices, great!

Making the best products for the customers is what got Apple here

Artificially segmenting things so people "have to buy more" is a road to nowhere long term

Also - keep in mind - the combo device need not be the only offering from Apple!
They'll still, I'm sure, sell various discrete devices on both sides (mac and ipad)
A. Likely as these devices do not have Mx Pro, max and ultra SoC and larger amount of RAM.

A combo device would be possible, but it should not be a iPad (pro) but a separate class of device with no compromises. I wonder if that rumored foldable 20 inch device could be such a combo device.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
He is entitled to his own opinion
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but when they broadcast it and make it their brand, we're entitled to have opinions of that and broadcast our counter opinion on a much smaller scale :p

No?

Reactions: Rogifan

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
It seems clear that development on iPadOS is hamstrung by not wanting to make it a full blown "can do everything macOS can do" device ... to protect Mac sales (and vice versa)
To me, it seems clear that it is not. iPadOS development is hamstrung by not making a bad product, which is what would affect Apple’s revenue. A "can do everything macOS can do" device would have many compromises that ultimately would affect the iPad experience.

Apple has a huge proportion of the tablet market, and a tiny proportion of the PC market. If that “everything” device would be feasible, they would have a lot to win. And they would have a lot to lose because a competitor could make it real. So maybe the explanation, after years of success of the iPad and failures of the ”tabletPC” concept, is that this potential device is not feasible.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014

..admits a few sentences later he still has and uses a 2018 iPad Pro. Yeah, no. Nice try Gruber.

He thinks it's a phenomenal product totally worth buying, only his own actions indicate otherwise.

We aren't thinking about it wrong. The asking price for these devices is patently absurd for the 'hamstrung' OS.
He meant it’s not for him; not for his workflow, not for his tasks, not for his taste.

Prices are not absurd to me. What you call “hamstrung” OS is its main point to me. I would never spend 2000€ on a MacBook Air, and I will gladly spend it on an iPad Pro. And millions of people make that decision too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Here’s the latest Connected podcast where Federico Viticci talks about iPadOS and the software review he wrote. Good listen. He brings up a good point that when people were criticizing the state of the Mac a few years back that was all OK but criticizing the iPad is some how not OK. I appreciate what he writes because it comes from the right place. It’s coming from someone who loves the iPad not someone who wants to turn it into a Mac.

https://www.relay.fm/connected/502

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

I have a hard time with those who don’t use an iPad Pro as their primary device telling those who do that they’re wrong. Sure if you’re just an occasional user (or just use it for consumption) iPadOS is fine.…because you’re essentially using it as iOS.

Reactions: ct2k7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.