Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Even though I like Jon I still think it’s odd that Apple decided to mix their devices and services with opinionated content like this. It’s a bit like if FOX news started to sell TV’s that could only show FOX news

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
What? I can think of several series that are some of the best I've ever seen. Just incredible. So there's that. Add to that, Netflix producing mediocre programing, over and over, and over.....
Those shows would have sold to someone else and the world would keep turning.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Even though I like Jon I still think it’s odd that Apple decided to mix their devices and services with opinionated content like this. It’s a bit like if FOX news started to sell TV’s that could only show FOX news
Apple is a big corporation. Its news and media outlet should follow rules of the market: hold the center for maximum reach. Which means: "do not go too left, do not go too right". Stewart perhaps crossed the center line and his show was losing viewership (I don't watch his shows and have zero interest in them; just my assumption but I know he was actually losing viewers). In that sense, there was no value in keeping his show. Once a show becomes too radical, in order to keep or raise viewers' number, it sooner or later mutates into a clickbait show of varying degrees, in which case it is doomed to fail when it becomes too radical and uncomfortable to watch. Maybe ok for its niche, but not for general masses.

Last edited:
Reactions: ninecows

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
It’s a mistake to defend him. No one is disputing how the Chinese government treats people. But their political ideology shouldn’t disqualify victims of one’s sympathy. Only a monster has no empathy for those unfairly under the threat of violence and death. I’m unclear on why that isn’t absolutely obvious.

What's not "obvious" is this: telling the truth doesn't mean one is not sympathetic. To the contrary, putting it in such stark terms highlights the depravity of the CCP machine. You think this pearl-clutching is helping Chinese citizens? It isn't.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Not nearly as filthy and reprehensible as the practice of communism which has killed TONS of people

If the people of china rise up and remove the communists I’ll change my tune 100%
sadly, probably they will not. History of China is not that simple and CCP's history is not that simple either.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
And yet 100% true. Or do you need to rewatch Chinese authorities literally sealing and welding Chinese people inside their apartments during the pandemic?
It’s not the full story obviously. The restriction was imposed on the accommodation of someone who had been to Wuhan. It was soon seen by the government as an over-reaction, and the metal bars used to secure the door were removed.

But if you want to use The Sun as your source of facts, I’m not surprised you have that bias. Taking anything out of context is not the brightest thing people can do.

Reactions: b17777

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
What's not "obvious" is this: telling the truth doesn't mean one is not sympathetic. To the contrary, putting it in such stark terms highlights the depravity of the CCP machine. You think this pearl-clutching is helping Chinese citizens? It isn't.
There’s a whole thing called diplomacy that deals with this. When it comes to Chinese government it’s all about gaining trust and not publicly exposing their (very mildly put) shortcomings when it comes to eg human rights etc.

Just telling the truth can destroy a lot here. Am I ok with that? Not really, but those are the rules and I don’t make them.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Just for FYI: China always has been a merchant state. Means it pays zero attention to democracy or human rights as far as merchants make money. While CCP is called communist, it lost long ago any communist ideas (public ownership of means of production, land for collective farms, state prices, equal incomes). All that is gone. The only remaining thing is that long ago, CCP fought GoMinDan (another nationalist party) and won and in order to get support, transformed into a communist party and by 1978 that experiment was over either. The current result is just a political regime which forgot about its communist roots and generally sunk into corruption of unheard proportions, yet actually developing economy (a classic merchant state). You can criticize it as much as you want but if merchants are happy, they will stick to what works (CCP).

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Well, sure, maybe not the best ratings but that’s now why he was cancelle.
I mean he can say whatever he wants. But unless Apple is lying about his poor ratings, it makes no difference

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Bring him and the Colbert Report back too.
I still think that Colbert leaving for The Late Show was one of the biggest losses for TV comedy. He was brilliant in Colbert Report, and quite boring in The Late show.

I hope Jon brings back some of the good old comedy take on daily news. This area has been a complete sh*tshow ever since that Trevor guy took over and ran it to the ground.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Good for you John. Its sad that they couldn't handle that you were not a follower and had views of your own.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Good for you John. Its sad that they couldn't handle that you were not a follower and had views of your own.
Or they released him to let him fly….

"I wanted a place to unload thoughts as we get into this election season."

It seems like they did the right thing for themselves and for him. They didn’t try and censure him like Fox do with their puppets.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I never found him especially funny, seems to me his programme was aimed more at getting applause from an audience that already agrees with him than in getting laughs (and for the record, I am very much the audience that agrees with him), but I still don't like this attitude from Apple, even if it's entirely understandable and unsurprising.

I don't think any of us would expect them to host people saying disparaging things about the Chinese government, that's not in their economic interest, but that being the case they shouldn't pretend to be support truth-speaking.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I never found him especially funny, seems to me his programme was aimed more at getting applause from an audience that already agrees with him than in getting laughs (and for the record, I am very much the audience that agrees with him), but I still don't like this attitude from Apple, even if it's entirely understandable and unsurprising.

I don't think any of us would expect them to host people saying disparaging things about the Chinese government, that's not in their economic interest, but that being the case they shouldn't pretend to be support truth-speaking.
When did he say disparaging things about the Chinese government?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the article in NYT
But Mr. Stewart and Apple executives had disagreements over some of the topics and guests on “The Problem,” two of the people said. Mr. Stewart told members of his staff on Thursday that potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence were causing concern among Apple executives, a person with knowledge of the meeting said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Monkey

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
Apple should have never gotten involved in TV show and movie production, there were and are plenty of video streaming apps without Apple. Apple could have put the same money, focus and attention into AAA gaming for Mac and living room—the biggest gaping hole in Apple's ecosystems.
They could also have done more to help customers who have needs which cannot be afforded normally. Apple could make such a difference to people like me who cannot work because of illness and I rely on a small amount of money from my fixed income. My life and those of thousands of others could be much improved dramatically.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Unfortunately the worlds social behavior has changed because every year people are becoming more and more offended by the smallest of comments or words and this has caused companies/businesses to be very very cautious of who they deal with and how they deal with them because they are afraid of being accused of supporting the accuser (person who caused the offense) or afraid of being boycotted by customers/consumers and advertisers.

A very very good example of this is the issue that affected Bud Light beer when they used the face of a transgender influencer on their cans/bottles. Many many consumers were offended by this thus chose to boycott the brand which caused the sales of the beer to nose dive drastically and shares in the company to drop. Wrongly or rightly about the issue of transgender, the point of issue here is that many many consumers were offended and chose to boycott the brand. Many many companies and businesses will be cutely aware of this cause and effect issue with bud light, many many consumers were offended so they boycotted the brand. Which translates to, if you offend the consumer/viewer, expect to be boycotted which is something I have no doubt Apple is cutely aware of this and therefore chose to cancel Jon Stewart show rather than have viewers offended and boycotting Apple TV.

Reactions: ninecows

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
When did he say disparaging things about the Chinese government?
He didn't. That's the point. He wan't allowed to.

A report from The New York Times claimed that the disagreements were over some planned guests, show topics related to China, and topics related to artificial intelligence.

I'm extrapolating based on the above rumour. Here's the logic:

1. It was going to be negative. The shows wasn't called Things That Are Awesome With Jon Stewart.
2. Anything about China is about the Chinese government, because it's a dictatorship. It could have just been about issues in China with, for example, conditions in factories, something not directly government controlled, but really that's still going to be seen as criticising the regime, because, again, dictatorship.
3. Apple has a clear financial incentive to keep the Chinese regime happy.

Reactions: Velin

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
U
He didn't. That's the point. He wan't allowed to.

I'm extrapolating based on the above rumour. Here's the logic:

1. It was going to be negative. The shows wasn't called Things That Are Awesome With Jon Stewart.
2. Anything about China is about the Chinese government, because it's a dictatorship. It could have just been about issues in China with, for example, conditions in factories, something not directly government controlled, but really that's still going to be seen as criticising the regime, because, again, dictatorship.
3. Apple has a clear financial incentive to keep the Chinese regime happy.
You lost me on your rant when you incorrectly called China a dictatorship. If you are going to say something, make it informed.

• Haha
Reactions: mazz0

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
I guess Apple's support of free speech, human rights, and privacy only applies to the US. When they have something to lose, it's not worth doing anymore.

None of those things exist in one of Apple's biggest growth markets and the place where most of their products are made - CHINA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.