Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
So make the battery bigger and give us even more battery. That'd do away with the camera bump too.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Thanks, I don't want to hold an iPhone 16 Brick Max either.
Ahhh... the good ol' days! lol
phone.jpg

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Yeah, it doesn't even last a week for me. Gonna stick with my PalmPilot.
I know you're joking but that has actually been 100% my comparison ever since my first smartphone. My first pocket device was a Palm V that I bought soon after launch and ever since then (1999) I've had a smart device in my pocket at all times that I've used for calendar, contacts, ebooks, games, taking notes etc. I used to travel a lot for my work and when I had the Palm V I could catch a flight on Monday morning with it fully charged, do a 5 day working week of note taking in meetings and other stuff (ebooks, games) in the evenings and pretty consistently I would get the first low battery warning on the plane home on Friday evening typically as I was reading an ebook.

Now the comparison is absolutely absurd of course, the Palm V didn't even have a screen backlight let alone a colour screen or any of the wireless connectivity capabilities that a modern smartphone has but ever since my first smartphone I've always thought how amazing it would be if smartphones with all their extra capabilities could ever one day get to the same sort of battery life that the Palm V had. With something like the last few generations of the Pro Max we are actually getting tantalisingly close. I'd say that with the same sort of usage pattern as I had with my Palm V I can get very close to 3 days between charges on my 15 Pro Max.

With a decent increase in battery capacity (as has been pointed out other manufacturers are able to get > 5,000 mAh batteries in their phones) plus some more increases in component efficiency and I can see the day coming when an iPhone would actually have the same sort of battery life as my old Palm V and given how much more an iPhone is doing that would be pretty amazing in terms of technology progress.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
With a decent increase in battery capacity (as has been pointed out other manufacturers are able to get > 5,000 mAh batteries in their phones) plus some more increases in component efficiency and I can see the day coming when an iPhone would actually have the same sort of battery life as my old Palm V and given how much more an iPhone is doing that would be pretty amazing in terms of technology progress.
Apple’s strategy seems to be to trade any efficiency gains for new features (e.g. Find My, Always-On Display, AI features) or thinness instead of multi-day battery life. So I don’t see that changing, barring dramatic advances in battery technology.

Otherwise I’m with you, the weeks-long battery life of Palm devices was much more enjoyable.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
They should be careful with batteries. Samsung already tried and failed, putting users in danger.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
More battery is a plus we have been asking for this for years maybe Tim cook and his gang are finally listening
One can hope. A friend of mine works in the sector and according to her, by far what consumers want most from a new smartpohone in 2024 is better battery life -- by a factor of nearly 2:1 over anything else. If Apple ever introduces a phone with truly insane battery life, there's their next landmark rollout.

Reactions: tridley68

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
It's a $1200 phone so ofc it's "fine".
13PM had the best battery life when it was released, other Android flagships like S22U couldn't even get close it. now 15PM loses to $800 phones in terms of battery life.
unfortunately 15 Plus also had amazing battery life, so Apple decided to kill that one as well.
Add Batterygate to all this and you can see Tim Cook's strategy.
I have never had any complaints with battery life with an iPhone since the x

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Please don’t let it be the same battery life with a smaller battery, that never works in the real world, the pro max should have a 6,000 mah battery by now.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I’m on the 15 Pro, used it all day playing music in the garden (been up for 14 hours so far) and I’m at 80%. Usually I have it optimized to 80% so I’ll start that again, battery is amazing after 9 months.
The A17 Pro allows itself to chew through more Watts when on the high power cores for better performance than the previous two chips despite being on a more efficient process that keeps the Watts down on the low power cores. If you push your devices you will get worse battery than the previous two gens being pushed (but much better performance), simply playing music I can see it using almost nothing but the speakers Wattage.

This situation is also likely why so many people have different experiences with 15 Pro battery life. Personally if i'm playing a game in the sun I'll get worse battery life than my old 13 Pro but a better experience as the screen is brighter and the game is smoother. If I just listen to audiobooks while walking around the 15 will last beyond a day.
This is a pretty great video on the chip-

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Give me a camera that can record better spatial video closer to what you get with the AVP than the iPhone 15 is capable of now and Apple will get my money. Anything less and I’ll hold off until the 17 or 18.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Always good to have longer battery life. But Apple could maintain the weight of the phone by using a smaller battery giving same battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.