Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I hope it is ok to discuss this topic here - I wanted to know the exact correlation between laptop use and male fertlity.

Does it affect your count only if you use it placed on the lap or even in general use like placing on the table or desk.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iWaugh said:
Does it affect your count only if you use it placed on the lap or even in general use like placing on the table or desk.

I don't know that any major studies have been done besides this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=15591087&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

And here, the measure is the association between laptop use on the lap and increased scrotal temperature. It's a proximal and not a distal outcome, so there's no measurement AFAIK of actual rates of infertility. So the correlation you want isn't available, to my knowledge.

But the only implication is heat generation on the lap. There isn't any other mechanism that has been supported by data, that I know of. So if you put it on the table, it should not pose a danger to your fertility....

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
iWaugh said:
I wanted to know the exact correlation between laptop use and male fertlity.

If you spend all of your time with your shiny new MacBook and no more time with your wife, you might, while technically not being infertile, be unanble to reproduce anyway.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iWaugh said:
I hope it is ok to discuss this topic here - I wanted to know the exact correlation between laptop use and male fertlity.

I read in a magazine that Apple computers don't have as much harm on your fertility as some PC's do...something with giving off something or other? Maybe it was BS...all I know is that this whole issue is not a Waughing matter.

;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I can't quite convince myself that this is necessarily a serious question, but assuming it is....

There are a number of contributors to infertility. One is genetic - some people just aren't as fertile as others, all other things being equal. Clearly, the laptop won't affect this.

The second is environmental - chemicals in the environment and diet which reduce sperm counts. Again, unless you eat it, the laptop won't affect this either.

Third is frequency of ejaculation. Do it too seldom, and the little guys get old and less mobile. If you spend so much time with the computer that you never... release, well, the laptop might be a factor. Do it too often, and there aren't enough of the little guys produced to keep up, as it were, so, if you spend a lot of time visiting non-family-friendly (ah, a deeper meaning to that phrase now) sites, then, again, the laptop might cause problems.

The final factor is the general temperature of the testicles. If you use the laptop on your lap without any padding and with it directly on your crotch, then, yes, it can definitely reduce fertility. Unless you live in arctic conditions, in which case it might just keep the little guys from freezing.

iWaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Thank you for the replies.

Actually it was a serious question. I had read somewhere (maybe I am mistaken and did not read correctly) that there was a increased incidence of IT professionals coming in with fertility issues and there was a male factor involved most of the time.

Recently there was some news that even keeping cell phones in trouser pockets can reduce the count etc.. so I was wondering if this count thing is only limited to portable on the 'lap'

Thanks again..

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iWaugh said:
Thank you for the replies.

Actually it was a serious question.
Ah, well, then sorry for doubting. Basically, as long as you're cautious about temperatures, you'll be fine with any equipment.
iGary said:
I could care less if my little swimmers are capable or not.
Really? You could? Because me, I couldn't. :D Sorry... pet peeve of mine. :o

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
max_altitude said:
I wonder if applying a bit of thermal paste would help...:p
No!!! It'll conduct heat right there! Oh, the humanity!

Unless you put in on like Apple. Then it's an insulator. ;)And yes, I know that's what you meant....

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jsw said:
Ah, well, then sorry for doubting. Basically, as long as you're cautious about temperatures, you'll be fine with any equipment.

Really? You could? Because me, I couldn't. :D Sorry... pet peeve of mine. :o

Grammar bitch. :rolleyes: :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.