Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Let's say that I have an AirTag registered to my iPhone, and I want to lend it to a friend so that they can track something (like their luggage for a trip).

Can my AirTag be disassociated/deregistered from my iPhone/Apple ID so then they can register it to theirs?

And then they can deregister it when they are done, give it back to me, and I re-register it to my Apple ID?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Obviously with the caveat that we haven’t been able to try this in real life, yes I believe that this is quite possible.

I’m not aware of anything that suggests you cant move airtags between accounts (as long as you go through the procedure you described of disassociating first).

Reactions: phillytim

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Obviously with the caveat that we haven’t been able to try this in real life, yes I believe that this is quite possible.

I’m not aware of anything that suggests you cant move airtags between accounts (as long as you go through the procedure you described of disassociating first).
Should be as easy as restoring your other apple products, remove your Apple ID from the air tag and the other person should be good to go.

Reactions: KeithJenner
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.