Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idkwhat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
I just got an M3 Pro Pro, having finally upgraded from a 2014 Air. Though perhaps minor to some people, maybe the biggest downgrade in the design of the two computers is that on the M3, that little notch cut out of the bottom case of the laptop so that you can easily stick a finger in there and open it no longer functions as it should and did on my 2014 Air. That is, if I'm not extra careful opening it that way the bottom half of the computer comes up with it at first and then bangs down again on the table after. It's of course avoided by simply being careful every time I open the computer but that minor design element and how well it worked was always one of my favorite little things about MacBooks.
Do other people have this same experience? Maybe after some "breaking in" period with the computer it will function better? The computer feels lighter in a potentially cheapish way than my 2014 Air or my previous 2009 or 2010 Pro so maybe that's why.

edit: when pushing the monitor back to adjust the bottom of the computer also lifts up, this is likewise non ideal.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I just got an M3 Pro Pro, 16". This sucker is HEAVY (though not disagreeable to me, as I prefer the extra mass). I give it the finger several times a day, and the hinge feels easy and smooth, no lifting up the lower case portion.

idkwhat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
I just got an M3 Pro Pro, 16". This sucker is HEAVY (though not disagreeable to me, as I prefer the extra mass). I give it the finger several times a day, and the hinge feels easy and smooth, no lifting up the lower case portion.
yeah I was thinking the 16 inch ones wouldn't have that problem due to weight. but my air didn't have that problem either and it is lighter. you'd hope all sizes and models could be engineered to get the perfect lift to open thing going. I'm hoping that the hinge gets less stiff after enough use maybe and thus exerts less force up on the bottom half of the case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.