Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Anyone else thinking about this?

An 13” Air with a decent size option (512 gb) cellular (which IMO sets it apart from the Mac), and keyboard (education discount):$ 1478 before taxes

256 GB Pro with just WiFi and the keyboard is $1528.

I’m currently using >256 gb on my iPhone, so that is something to keep in mind.

I ran into a similar situation when buying my Mac this year. Ended up getting a loaded Air (1TB, 16GB, 15”). I love the thing. And it was cheaper than these iPads

512gb Pro with Cellular and Keyboard is $2k. The pricing on these is just bonkers IMO!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless one has a specific use case that would definitely make use of the Pro features, (video, music, architecture type jobs etc) I don't see the point in paying the price for the Pro. The Air will be fine.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It depends on what you need the GB for (i.e. can you swap to cloud?). Otherwise it comes down to if you value cellular higher than OLED. Since you didn't mention OLED being an important factor to you (or other features like Face ID, ProMotion, quad speakers, weight), the Air is probably the better choice.

Reactions: leifp

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
I also feel a fully loaded Air would be the better buy. The Pro this time is mainly all about OLED, if that’s something you can do without it’s better to get more storage and screen size in my opinion.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I think for Macs that the Air models make more sense.

But in this case for the iPads? I think the Pro makes more sense. The price you're willing to spend is similar, but way newer chip (longevity + presumably AI features in iPadOS 18), very bright OLED displays, lighter and thinner, much better looking and lighter Magic Keyboard with additional function row, etc.

Yes, you lose cellular - but do you honestly use cellular that much, or are you more likely to use the device in a place with Wi-Fi? I think most people fall in the latter category. For those few times when there isn't Wi-Fi, I will setup a personal hotspot.

And 256 GB vs 512 GB? Yes, this could be a valid point... but... I think for most people the most storage goes to photos and videos. It couldn't hurt to delete some. And if you really don't want to delete anything: paying a little bit for additional iCloud storage to offload photos and videos would be way more economical than going for the higher storage model.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
If you look at and use the pro you won't use the Air, it was true for prev gen devices. Everything from the displays ability to not attract fingerprints, the sound and the Pro motion of the display.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I think for Macs that the Air models make more sense.

Yes, you lose cellular - but do you honestly use cellular that much, or are you more likely to use the device in a place with Wi-Fi? I think most people fall in the latter category. For those few times when there isn't Wi-Fi, I will setup a personal hotspot.

And 256 GB vs 512 GB? Yes, this could be a valid point... but... I think for most people the most storage goes to photos and videos. It couldn't hurt to delete some. And if you really don't want to delete anything: paying a little bit for additional iCloud storage to offload photos and videos would be way more economical than going for the higher storage model.

Of course, the Pro has a cellular option (but no sim slot). Also the with cellular iPads have an inbuilt GPS. Using a map app which stores its maps data on the iPad, when there is not cellular, the GPS allows a mapping function. Very handy for some ...

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
And the better keyboard ... Apple could have introduced a better keyboard for the thicker iPads, but as usual, one has to pay for the privilege and buy the Pro for the better keyboard. It would have been simple to bring in another keyboard for the rest of the iPads, one with more alloy and haptic plus the function row.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I think they've separated themselves in performance and price that the decision is a little easier to make now. Your price comparison is a Cellular Air vs a Wifi Pro, it's not a realistic comparison because you either need cell or not. Processor and Storage are also a need so I feel they figure themselves out once you apply your realistic needs. We ALL want the higher refresh rate OLED but when you compare need vs need in Air vs Pro, there is a $400 difference to get that OLED. Is it worth the difference? Only you and your wallet can decide. ;)

Reactions: AlexMac89

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Prices between the new iPad M2 Air and the new iPad M4 Pro are a bit strange.

The storage costs are the same to 500GB, but going from 500GB to 1 TB costs double with the iPad Pro. It costs $200 to upgrade from 512 GB to 1 TB in the Air. But to do the same in the Pro, it costs double - $400 to go from 512 TB to 1 TB.

Also it costs 33% for cellular on the Pro ... $200 compared to the Air's $150.

If one buys more than half a TB in M4 Pro iPad, its better value to get the 2 TB. As much as that hurts ... the 512 GB is the only one that resembles sensible to me.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Pro.

The ProMotion and OLED are the reasons for me.

OLED has many advantage for sure. But as far as brightness goes, the Air is just as bright. And compared to other non Apple screens, the Air's is top class outside of the OLED ones. And compared to non Apple OLEDs in pads, the Air's one has brightness advantages, and its mini LED is top class for a non OLED. My wife spends lots of time reading with pictures on the iPad ... but doesn't play games or watch movies. And we have a 77" G3 OLED LG TV, its better than any iPad for watching a movie!

I am wondering about the benefits of Pro Motion. Is that about games, or does a fast swipe make a big difference? My wife's 10.5" iPad Pro has pro motion ... but I wonder how its swipe speed is compared to today's new Air? Outside of games, does Pro Motion make a significant difference to utility, rather than a split second swipe speed?

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I think they've separated themselves in performance and price that the decision is a little easier to make now. Your price comparison is a Cellular Air vs a Wifi Pro, it's not a realistic comparison because you either need cell or not. Processor and Storage are also a need so I feel they figure themselves out once you apply your realistic needs. We ALL want the higher refresh rate OLED but when you compare need vs need in Air vs Pro, there is a $400 difference to get that OLED. Is it worth the difference? Only you and your wallet can decide. ;)

I don't agree with your figures! I get a $300 difference! Because the Air ships with 128 Gb of storage, while the Pro ships with 250 GB. Apple's pricing for an upgrade to 250 GB on the Air is $US 100. Add that upgrade price to 250 GB to the Air, and its price is $699 v $999 so $300 difference. Apples to Apples!!

Also one could add another two years of life for the iPad. This may also be true with the battery, because I presume the M4 will use less battery compared to an M2 processor. But from a system upgrade viewpoint, if an M2 Air will get support for 5 years, then one could add 2 years to an iPad Pro? So 5 years /7 years times $999 = $713. If it's one year only, then 5/6 * $999 = $832. One might argue the real difference on that 5 compared to 6 years, is $832 compared to $699 or $133 dollars difference.

On longevity, maybe the Pro ain't so bad. But the 1 TB with cellular has a got a very bad value sting to it.

Last edited:

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I don't agree with your figures! I get a $300 difference! Because the Air ships with 128 Gb of storage, while the Pro ships with 250 GB. Apple's pricing for an upgrade to 250 GB on the Air is $200. Add that upgrade price to 250 GB to the Air, and its price is $699 v $999 so $300 difference. Apples to Apples!!

Also one could add another two years of life for the iPad. This may also be true with the battery, because I presume the M4 will use less battery. But from a system upgrade viewpoint, if an M2 Air will get support for 5 years, then I'd add 2 years to an iPad Pro. So 5 years /7 years times $999 = $713. On longevity, maybe the Pro ain't so bad. But the 1 TB with cellular has a got a sting to it.

I see your point about the memory vs price difference. Apple is fetching a premium for such a small upgrade in comparison.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I see your point about the memory vs price difference. Apple is fetching a premium for such a small upgrade in comparison.
And it's charging an extra $US50 for the Cell & GPS upgrade. I am unsure too if the Pro's Cellular option has all the capabilities that the M2 Air has. So for a Cellular version these two now current Air & Pro iPads, the difference is $US 350.

Or more ...

M4 Pro v M2 Air (using the 11" size):
For a 1TB cellular iPad M4 Pro the cost is $US 1,599. $500 more expensive. Ad the Cellular, its $US 1799. $550 more.
For a 1TB cellular iPad M2 Air the cost is $US 1,099. Ad the Cellular, its $US 1,249.

The Pro with the 1 or 2 TB can have the trick outdoor screen for $100 extra. I guess if that is worth $300 to a buyer, then one could argue the pricing of the 1 TB version of the M4 Ipad Pro is valid. Evidently it is a lot better outside, and a lot worse inside.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Prices between the new iPad M2 Air and the new iPad M4 Pro are a bit strange.

The storage costs are the same to 500GB, but going from 500GB to 1 TB costs double with the iPad Pro. It costs $200 to upgrade from 512 GB to 1 TB in the Air. But to do the same in the Pro, it costs double - $400 to go from 512 TB to 1 TB.

Also it costs 33% for cellular on the Pro ... $200 compared to the Air's $150.

If one buys more than half a TB in M4 Pro iPad, its better value to get the 2 TB. As much as that hurts ... the 512 GB is the only one that resembles sensible to me.

That’s due to the extra 8GB RAM on the iPad Pro—$200 for additional 512GB storage and $200 for additional 8GB RAM = $400.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I am wondering about the benefits of Pro Motion. Is that about games, or does a fast swipe make a big difference?

I do a lot of reading and can't stand the blurriness when scrolling up and down in webpages and PDFs.

This is very noticeable to me when I compare my iPhone 15 Pro Max and wife's 15 Plus. I wish it does not bother me as much so I could save some $.

Reactions: Melbourne Park

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Unless one has a specific use case that would definitely make use of the Pro features, (video, music, architecture type jobs etc) I don't see the point in paying the price for the Pro. The Air will be fine.
True but you’re forgetting about Pro-Motion. That makes a huge difference even for casual web browsing.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
You would be best served by going to an Apple reseller and holding/using both models, if you can. They are no longer “basically the same” in size, weight, and display quality. You should be able to figure out quite easily which fits your wants more… and whether the price difference matters.

Since you mention the keyboard in both instances, use that as well; it’s supposedly lighter for the Pro and with the function keys (huge for me; the one glaring omission on my iPP keyboard) and perhaps changed feel of the keys perhaps one annoys or pleases more than the other…

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Promotion is very nice but, paying so much extra just for that one option is something I think many will struggle to justify outside of MR.
Yeah, if OP is already very satisfied with the screen of his MBA, he should be satisfied with the iPad Air display as well.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I would hold off personally, wait to see what they announce at WWDC, not new software sectors BUT it's possible they'll announce new M4 exclusive AI features which you may want.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Promotion is very nice but, paying so much extra just for that one option is something I think many will struggle to justify outside of MR.
I get that but the difference with Pro-Motion isn’t a case of a feature you may or may not use from time to time, it’s something that stares you in the face constantly on an all-screen device. This is why I think it’s grossly unfair that the mid range iPad doesn’t have this.

Reactions: Pezimak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.