Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
What’s so special about this GPU?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What’s so special about this GPU?
From what I know people have been queuing up for GPUs at MicroCenter since the summer of 2020 when GPUs were impossible to get (which hasn't changed).

From what little I've come across the RTX 3080-TI is a very capable GPU and a lot of people were waiting for that as well

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
From what I know people have been queuing up for GPUs at MicroCenter since the summer of 2020 when GPUs were impossible to get (which hasn't changed).

From what little I've come across the RTX 3080-TI is a very capable GPU and a lot of people were waiting for that as well

Yea I think this is a daily occurrence. I happened across a line a few months ago. When the RTX 3080 was already out for a while. I was just going to pickup an SSD. When I found out they open at an absurdly late 10AM on a weekday. Anyways, they were there just hoping a GPU would be in stock. Then the groans as the manager came out and said there weren't any except for those with a ticket for one or something like that.

Funny thing is. When I went to build my new computer. I just thought I'd check if there were any GPU in stock. There were stacks of them. Then I'd found MSRP doubled too. So the manufacturers boosted prices to scalper prices as well. I just skipped the GPU.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yea I think this is a daily occurrence.
When I was building a PC back a few months ago (about Feb), I was chatting with a sales rep at microcenter and he told me that people lined up for GPUs every morning, and that was happening since the summer of 2020 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I remember the good old days when GPUs were good and relatively inexpensive. The last one I purchased was the most expensive I have ever bought GeForce 2070 approx $500.

Ha ha.....LOL:

MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC Graphics Card, 8GB GDRR6, PCIe 4.0, Ray Tracing, VR Ready, Nvlink Torx Fan 3 Ampere Architecture, 3X DisplayPort, 1x HDMI 2.1 8K w/ Mytrix HDMI Cable​

a steal at $1800. ?

Last edited:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
This is why I'm rebuilding my entire VR Rig around my existing 2080 Super. No way I'm getting a new video card right now, and if this keeps up it looks like I'll always be an entire generation behind.

On the other hand, I was able to walk into a Micro Center and pick up a Ryzen 5900x at MSRP because they are not selling them online and are limiting them to 1 per customer in-person. Same day I could had ordered one from Amazon marked-up well over $200 above MSRP. So kudos to Micro Center for that policy on the CPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Probably because $1800 is cheaper than scalper prices they’d have to pay if they wait. I’d love to be a GPU company in this climate, you could set your prices to ridiculous levels, make 500 gpus worldwide and still sell out.

3080ti is as fast as a 3090 for a cheaper price.
Not quite.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Probably because $1800 is cheaper than scalper prices they’d have to pay if they wait. I’d love to be a GPU company in this climate, you could set your prices to ridiculous levels, make 500 gpus worldwide and still sell out.

Not quite.
Close enough for US Govt work. :p

Reactions: JMacHack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.