Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I’m really thinking of trying a Fold, probably the Pixel Fold. I’m an iPhone user for years and years, back from the 3GS although went Android in between, but not for about 10 years now.

I have Mac, iPad, iCloud+ (for photo 2Tb), Apple TV, purchased movies and TV via Apple etc, so definitely more of Apple. But I don’t mind changing.

The issues I can see is photos. I have 2Tb and all synced in iCloud, all my personal videos and photos, organised and synced. I’ll be keeping everything else Apple so suppose I could copy from phone to my Mac to be synced? Does anyone else do this? I wouldn’t want to start using Google photos as it’s all organised in Photos/iCloud on Mac.

Also all my purchased Apple movies and TV. I don’t believe there is an “Apple app” to play on Android. Can you play via web, don’t think can download though, which is poor of Apple really to not open up this revenue stream.

Apple Watch is the other big miss. I use everyday, it’s never off really. I know you can get Android version which I would have to for notifications mainly. Have invested in a lot of bands so maybe this is big miss.

Don’t think there’s any specific apps I’d miss, most on Android anyway, wouldn’t say I’ve spent too much on apps and always have iPad anyway.

Any other oddities I’ve missed? With WhatsApp now, and hopefully RCS on iPhone, video and messaging isn’t to bad, prefer FaceTime, but WhatsApp would suffice.

Really interested to know what others have done like me. Anyone just have an Android phone and rest of iPads, Mac, Apple TV etc, how does it all work?

Reactions: danb1979

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
You seem to be trying to talk yourself out of it. The real question is why are you wanting to switch? Is it just the form factor of a folding phone? Is there something about Android you find appealing or something about Apple that is making you want to leave the walled garden? Grass is always greener, but as a serial flip-flopper myself, don't spend too much money just because you are in a rut.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I’m really thinking of trying a Fold, probably the Pixel Fold. I’m an iPhone user for years and years, back from the 3GS although went Android in between, but not for about 10 years now.

I have Mac, iPad, iCloud+ (for photo 2Tb), Apple TV, purchased movies and TV via Apple etc, so definitely more of Apple. But I don’t mind changing.

The issues I can see is photos. I have 2Tb and all synced in iCloud, all my personal videos and photos, organised and synced. I’ll be keeping everything else Apple so suppose I could copy from phone to my Mac to be synced? Does anyone else do this? I wouldn’t want to start using Google photos as it’s all organised in Photos/iCloud on Mac.

Also all my purchased Apple movies and TV. I don’t believe there is an “Apple app” to play on Android. Can you play via web, don’t think can download though, which is poor of Apple really to not open up this revenue stream.

Apple Watch is the other big miss. I use everyday, it’s never off really. I know you can get Android version which I would have to for notifications mainly. Have invested in a lot of bands so maybe this is big miss.

Don’t think there’s any specific apps I’d miss, most on Android anyway, wouldn’t say I’ve spent too much on apps and always have iPad anyway.

Any other oddities I’ve missed? With WhatsApp now, and hopefully RCS on iPhone, video and messaging isn’t to bad, prefer FaceTime, but WhatsApp would suffice.

Really interested to know what others have done like me. Anyone just have an Android phone and rest of iPads, Mac, Apple TV etc, how does it all work?
Not sure Pixel Fold is a good choice if your use to a feature rich OS as they are "less is more" approach :)

A simple solution on photos, screenshots etc etc is to synch all gallery photos to onedrive, then its easy to access from your Mac, but I am sure others have better solutions :)

Email if you use apple will need app specific passwords for you android mail app

There is never enough content on Apple TV for me to keep a full time subscription let alone download something LOL

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You seem to be trying to talk yourself out of it. The real question is why are you wanting to switch? Is it just the form factor of a folding phone? Is there something about Android you find appealing or something about Apple that is making you want to leave the walled garden? Grass is always greener, but as a serial flip-flopper myself, don't spend too much money just because you are in a rut.
Not really I don’t think, I’m just trying to think of the pros and cons, and what I’ll lose, or be more awkward having Android as a phone.

Yes it’s more of the form factor I think, Apple is a long way away from fold, and price imagine will be through the roof.

So as a flip-flopper what do you find the hardest? What about photos (do you use iCloud sync?), anything that miss/doesn’t work on one way or other. Any apps that miss either way?
Not sure Pixel Fold is a good choice if your use to a feature rich OS as they are "less is more" approach :)

A simple solution on photos, screenshots etc etc is to synch all gallery photos to onedrive, then its easy to access from your Mac, but I am sure others have better solutions :)

Email if you use apple will need app specific passwords for you android mail app

There is never enough content on Apple TV for me to keep a full time subscription let alone download something LOL
I’ve tried Android and it’s not too bad, bare system is fine, Pixel seem to have one of best OS, clean, in past Samsung I had was littered with their stuff.

I’m talking more of the stuff I’ve purchased, movies and TV, rather than the aTV+ service. It’s access for those, and ability to download.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
For photos I use Onedrive to sync automatically in the background on all OSes. I then organize and edit with Lightroom/Photoshop. Of course I pay $10/mo for Adobe and $100 a year for Microsoft, so not the most cost-savings way to go.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
For photos I use Onedrive to sync automatically in the background on all OSes. I then organize and edit with Lightroom/Photoshop. Of course I pay $10/mo for Adobe and $100 a year for Microsoft, so not the most cost-savings way to go.
Thanks, so I could use OneDrive or Google drive to save photos on the Pixel Fold, then when on Mac, login to Google drive/OneDrive and copy to my Mac photos library, and delete from the Drive?

Will it keep all tag info, of location data etc to? Sounds like a decent workaround tbh, as I’m happy to copy to iCloud via Mac Photos.

Thanks

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Just means can’t see all on phone, have the 2Tb option iCloud and using over 1Tb for photo/video library.
How often are you looking at a 1tb library in full? And how have you organised the photos, Apple Photos just keeps everything in Library and you can duplicate them into albums?

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I love my Pixel Fold - so much so my iPad went in favour of the fold.

Still have my 15PM as can't do without it due to having an AWU; but also it works best in my car as well.

My Fold is my 'work device' but it's the one I use to read my books on Kindle, read magazines etc...

If you can have one as well as an iPhone; go for it, unless you don't need an iPhone etc

Just get a decent screen protector for the front (Spigen) and a decent case that protects the spine as well (Spigen again) and you'll have a superb device...

Reactions: MrMister111

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Thanks, so I could use OneDrive or Google drive to save photos on the Pixel Fold, then when on Mac, login to Google drive/OneDrive and copy to my Mac photos library, and delete from the Drive?

Will it keep all tag info, of location data etc to? Sounds like a decent workaround tbh, as I’m happy to copy to iCloud via Mac Photos.

Thanks

Just back up to Google Photos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.