Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I'm looking for a good router with VPN capabilities, that's easy to manage and should work with macOS built in VPN solution. WiFi is separate so I don't need any WiFi capabilities.
10 persons will use this network so it's not a very demanding task.

It was a couple of years since I worked with this, and at that time I used WatchGuard Firebox. They are still around, but probably overkill for this situation.

Easy to manage, easy to setup, good for Gigabit network, those are the needs. :)

Any suggestions?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have tried VPN with the lower end edge routers X and the Omada routers and found them slow and hard to integrate with the built in Mac VPN solution. May I suggest running a VPN on a raspberry PI or Zima board. I found this solution to be very robust, easy to maintain, sucure and works with MacOS. There is a ton of info out there on the web on setups.

Reactions: carlsson

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I love the Amplifi Alien routers. They do everything you asked for, and easily.

I actually had them in mind, but was unsure if they only worked with Ubiquitu WiFi Access points?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
They are Wi-Fi access points, but you could just use them as a router and connect another WiFi system to the Ethernet port. I missed that you don’t need the WiFi. U inquiry probably has better router solutions that don’t include WiFi.

Reactions: carlsson

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Depends on what type of VPN your are looking for. One of those so called “privacy” VPN that only obfuscate your IP address or a VPN server so you can access your network securely.

Personally, I dumped consumer grade [redacted] routers many years ago in favor of open source enterprise class firewall software https://pfsense.org Has a bit of a learning curve, but orders of magnitude more capability than consumer junk without the enterprise price. Supports both so called “privacy” VPNs and several VPN servers to access your network securely. At the moment, I prefer TailScale MESH VPN. They have a free tier up to 100 devices and it will traverse any level of NAT, including CGNAT. Clients for every platform on earth. Works automagically.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Depends on what type of VPN your are looking for. One of those so called “privacy” VPN that only obfuscate your IP address or a VPN server so you can access your network securely.

Personally, I dumped consumer grade [redacted] routers many years ago in favor of open source enterprise class firewall software https://pfsense.org Has a bit of a learning curve, but orders of magnitude more capability than consumer junk without the enterprise price. Supports both so called “privacy” VPNs and several VPN servers to access your network securely. At the moment, I prefer TailScale MESH VPN. They have a free tier up to 100 devices and it will traverse any level of NAT, including CGNAT. Clients for every platform on earth. Works automagically.
I personally would love to run pfsence but where I live electric is very expensive and have not found a power efficient platform to run pfsence. I do agree the line of consumer routers are pretty poor. I was running an edge router X until it died and it seems like that line is about to be abandoned so now I running a Omada router which is just OK. If yo know of a power efficient pfsence platform that is also inexpensive I love to here your recommendation.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
If yo know of a power efficient pfsence platform that is also inexpensive I love to hear your recommendation.

Depending on your bandwidth needs:

• Lowest cost of entry is to repurpose an existing x86_64 PC ($0)

• Second lowest is to purchase a used fanless mini pc off evilBay ($50+)

• If you are a gambler, you can buy a bare bones system directly from China ($100+)

• Of course, you can purchase a new or used Netgate appliance (New: $200+, Used: $100+)

• I personally run a Protectli FW4C appliance on my 375mbps symmetric service. (New: $300+, Used: $100+)

24h @ 20W (max) @ $0.15/kWh = $2.16/mo =~ $0.07/day

Last edited:
Reactions: dimme

Binary Wizzard

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
I recommend Firewalla: https://firewalla.com/

Easier to administer than the likes of pfSense, OpnSence, etc. You basically download their app from the App Store, scan the QR code at the bottom of the device, then follow their wizard. There's also a webGUI.

In terms of VPN, their have OpenVPN, Wireguard, AnyConnect and Site to Site.

They have a subreddit and they are very responsive there, also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.