Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Apple is currently offering $580 for trade-ins on existing iPad Pros and I am looking to maximize trade-in benefit towards the probable new iPad Pro coming after May 7th event.

Has anyone tracked anywhere the reductions in trade-in values that Apple offers the closer to and immediately following new product announcements?

Additionally, anyone know of non-Apple trade-in companies that offer more than what Apple does? And are reputable?

I checked Gazelle and they are offering $409

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Apple is currently offering $580 for trade-ins on existing iPad Pros and I am looking to maximize trade-in benefit towards the probable new iPad Pro coming after May 7th event.

Has anyone tracked anywhere the reductions in trade-in values that Apple offers the closer to and immediately following new product announcements?

Additionally, anyone know of non-Apple trade-in companies that offer more than what Apple does? And are reputable?

I checked Gazelle and they are offering $409

What iPad kind? There is a huge dif between a 256gb 11 inch wifi and a 2tb 12.9 cellular. I use Jay Brokers, out of Atlanta. They give better prices than Gazelle, usually. Though not as much as selling it yourself on eBay. But, less risk.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
What iPad kind? There is a huge dif between a 256gb 11 inch wifi and a 2tb 12.9 cellular. I use Jay Brokers, out of Atlanta. They give better prices than Gazelle, usually. Though not as much as selling it yourself on eBay. But, less risk.
12.9 1TB Cell M2. The prices are staggeringly low for trade-in on that model. I may just hold off and unless the OLED comes through w/ M4, hold onto it longer.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
12.9 1TB Cell M2. The prices are staggeringly low for trade-in on that model. I may just hold off and unless the OLED comes through w/ M4, hold onto it longer.
So, brand new your configured iPP is $1999. You should easily be able to sell it for $1300.00 to $1500.00.
Screenshot 2024-04-29 130726.png

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So, brand new your configured iPP is $1999. You should easily be able to sell it for $1300.00 to $1500.00.
View attachment 2373022

Private sale, yes. But if you go through a trade in company, its a lot less.

In excellent condition, Jay Brokers shows $789.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Private sale, yes. But if you go through a trade in company, its a lot less.

In excellent condition, Jay Brokers shows $789.
Yes, the very reason I would sell over trade-in. I’d rather have the $1300 to $1500 than $789 any day for a device I paid $2000.00 for. Even if it took a little more effort, selling over trade-in is a no brainer.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I happened to start the Apple trade-in process on April 23 (right after the announced the event) for the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9-inch, it's $410 and I received the gift card an hour ago.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, the very reason I would sell over trade-in. I’d rather have the $1300 to $1500 than $789 any day for a device I paid $2000.00 for. Even if it took a little more effort, selling over trade-in is a no brainer.

Reward and risk. I peronally am willing to take less, because less chance of getting ripped off by a company than a private seller. At Jay Brokers, 30 transactions over the years, no issues. Gazelle has also been safe to use.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I happened to start the Apple trade-in process on April 23 (right after the announced the event) for the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9-inch, it's $410 and I received the gift card an hour ago.

Ugh, I have had more problems with Apple gift cards. I've gotten gift cards right from the store, processed by an Apple employee, where if I tried to use it, it would say its an invalid payment. Customer service would then have to spend a day "fixing" my card. A lot of people have reported this issue. Its happened to me on a number of occasions. Gift cards can be a horror to use sometimes.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Ugh, I have had more problems with Apple gift cards. I've gotten gift cards right from the store, processed by an Apple employee, where if I tried to use it, it would say its an invalid payment. Customer service would then have to spend a day "fixing" my card. A lot of people have reported this issue. Its happened to me on a number of occasions. Gift cards can be a horror to use sometimes.
Isn't that the truth! I waited almost a month for a refund to go back to my Gift Card. I had to email Tim Cook to get into contact with someone from Customer Relations. I just had to go and change my mind about what 15 Pro color I wanted.

Reactions: Rafterman

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Most definitely! I heard terrible experience when it comes to using the gift cards. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me as I have multiple gift cards on hand. Second, people misplaced or forgot their gift cards (I'm sure some companies love that). I wish Apple handles non purchase trade-in better since both parties have my email address and name.

Reactions: Rafterman

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Reward and risk. I peronally am willing to take less, because less chance of getting ripped off by a company than a private seller. At Jay Brokers, 30 transactions over the years, no issues. Gazelle has also been safe to use.
Personally I don't sell via ebay. Only via local ads or sometiems via local ebay equivalents where buyers don't have the stupid power to ripoff sellers afforded by ebay (I only buy on ebay). But trade-in where I live is even worse than in the US, so it will never be an option. I prefer to keep a device that sell it for a small fraction of its price.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
my 2018 11 inch ipad pro apple will give me 235 for it, I know, ridiculous but it is what it is, should I trade it in before the may 7th event or hope that they increase the trade in value after

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.