Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'll let you know, as given the headroom I plan to upgrade till the end.

Yeah, there’s a lot of performance headroom on the M-series iPads.

I plan on getting refurb or clearance 128GB cellular M1/M2 iPad Pros to replace my parents’ older iPad 7th gens. With the discounts, there’s not much price difference compared to 256GB cellular iPad 10th gen.

Reactions: Digitalguy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Lack of RAM can be responsible for poorer performance. With 8GB we are past the point were it can be a bottleneck over an update cycle. Just like 6GB is not going to be a bottleneck for the 2018 iPad pro during the supported life of the device (4 I am not 100% certain yet). Especially with Apple continuing to make 4GB iPads until now (and I bet the next base iPad will still be 4GB RAM).
And I am not even considering the fact that M1 has access to swap memory, since Apple has zero transparency about that and we don't have a clou about how much it can swap or if it does only when some specific RAM intensive apps call for it.
As for battery life, the impact of software is unpredictable. You may have lost hope, but nothing prevents Apple to improve battery life with software instead of degrading it. Likely? No. Possible, yes.
Lack of RAM can be responsible por poorer performance... when updated. Almost always. When weren’t updates required? Twice. With the 3rd-gen iPad and its lackluster A5X and 512MB combo, which was so underpowered that it prompted Apple to upgrade it within six months. The other time? The iPhone 6 (especially the 6 Plus). Even on iOS 8, the A8 with 1GB of RAM wasn’t enough to power the 6 Plus’ added pixel count, and the device struggled (again, even on iOS 8). Once RAM hit 2GB, it was never a bottleneck for original iOS versions, until Apple started to divert. Even the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, long and widely regarded as sheer Apple greed in terms of RAM starvation was absolutely marvellous on iOS 9 with its 2GB of RAM. Every other device is fine. Perhaps some newer 3GB devices like the 9th-gen iPad can be the third category (released too late with too little RAM), but then, if you respect the device’s original iOS version, RAM is fine. When was RAM a serious issue for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro? On iPadOS 13 onwards. When were the 3GB of RAM troublesome for the iPhone Xʀ? On iOS 16 onwards.

But an original device would almost never struggle if Apple weren’t abhorrently stingy with RAM (like they were with the 6 Plus).

As far as battery life goes, no chance. They aren’t interested. It’s the #1 issue that users report with the bottom end of the chain in terms of support, and they don’t care. It’s a finished issue, like a to-do ticket which has been thrown out. They aren’t fixing that ever. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think Apple will ever prove me wrong.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The M1 is almost identical to what an A14X would have been. It has only a few changes, mainly to support thunderbolt and an additional display controller. That isn’t enough differentiation to really warrant spinning a whole new piece of silicon.

Indeed. The M1 chip is a rebranded A14X with additional controllers added to it.

The first ARM Mac was running the A12Z even.

Reactions: bcortens

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If OLED was important, people could have switched to Samsung, therefore it isn't an important feature.
How do you figure that? do you think that a Samsung is the same as an iPad? I don't.

OLED should be better for people who watch a lot of videos on their iPad. It gives a much better luminance range than the IPS or miniLED screens of earlier models. That may not matter to you but it will to quite a few people.

I expect there will be other changes for the Pros beyond OLED. I have a 2018 IPP that is beginning to show its age and I am at least entertaining the idea of upgrading. I'll see what else changes and what the price ends up being.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Can someone explain it to me because I just don’t get it. There are people (on this forum) who own M1 or M2 iPad Pro and are eagerly waiting for new M3 iPad Pro. What kind of stuff are you doing with your M1 or M2 iPad Pro that you need even more processing power? Not a rhetorical question.

Totally agree, I got the M1 and it's totally wasted on iPad OS. It runs any game available too. May get Death Stranding.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Can someone explain it to me because I just don’t get it. There are people (on this forum) who own M1 or M2 iPad Pro and are eagerly waiting for new M3 iPad Pro. What kind of stuff are you doing with your M1 or M2 iPad Pro that you need even more processing power? Not a rhetorical question.
Not enough NPU TOPS 😏

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Totally agree, I got the M1 and it's totally wasted on iPad OS. It runs any game available too. May get Death Stranding.

Not totally - improved performance for me when processing 4K videos in Lumafusion and very large RAW images in Lightroom.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I’ll chime in again. I don’t do photo or video editing at all. I also have the iPad Pro 12.9” M1 and have had zero issues with performance, slowdown. We (M1 owners) are at the mercy of app/game developers to optimize for the chipset and also for Apple to release OS updates that will utilize the hardware. But, at this point, nearly 3 years later I don’t see that happening.

Still games may run better on the newer M-chip line, but they still don’t come to console gaming with the same visual fidelity.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ll chime in again. I don’t do photo or video editing at all. I also have the iPad Pro 12.9” M1 and have had zero issues with performance, slowdown. We (M1 owners) are at the mercy of app/game developers to optimize for the chipset and also for Apple to release OS updates that will utilize the hardware. But, at this point, nearly 3 years later I don’t see that happening.

Still games may run better on the newer M-chip line, but they still don’t come to console gaming with the same visual fidelity.
Even with photo and video editing, when I had my M1 iPad Pro 12.9," it had no issues or slowdown with it. I'm not much into gaming apart from emulating a few older childhood 80s and 90s games - which also is no issue for any iPad, really. What really started heating up and slowing down my M1 iPP was using on-device photo generating apps.

For the last few years before I got my MacBook Air, I was using my iPP 12.9" (2020 and 2021 models) as my only computer. Every year, they'd release improved software and operating system, but it's still being very held back. I finally gave up and bought an M2 MBA. I miss using iPadOS for a lot of things (dedicated streaming apps, Fitness+, banking apps, FaceID, drawing and handwriting, etc), but it's a lot more practical to me to use a desktop OS right now as I can still access most of those things I listed, but also have the ability to use legacy programs, programming, etc without connecting to a service like Shadow PC or a local PC. (The reason I don't have both is because I find most of my usage very redundant between the two machines. Even my iPhone can do 99% of what I use my MacBook for).

The number one complaint I see about the iPad mostly online is how limited the OS is. On the other hand, everyone I know offline who has an iPad is completely happy with it just how it is - a larger version of their iPhone. There's ways for them to upgrade the user experience to make everyone happy, they just won't as it will affect MacBook sales, probably.

After 3 years of having an M1 iPad available, I'm hoping one of these years we see an iPadOS-renaissance of sorts, I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The number one complaint I see about the iPad mostly online is how limited the OS is. On the other hand, everyone I know offline who has an iPad is completely happy with it just how it is - a larger version of their iPhone. There's ways for them to upgrade the user experience to make everyone happy, they just won't as it will affect MacBook sales, probably.
Because the vast majority of users like the iPad for what it is. Online we see an echo chamber: the extreme minority who should buy (another) Mac and doesn’t, so it pointlessly requests MacOS on iPad... which would destroy the device.

Once you look at it from an outside perspective, you realize nobody wants that.

I want downgrading on iOS because I already don’t update anything and would like to roll back a couple of devices that have been forced out of their original iOS versions, especially considering iOS updates obliterate devices.

But people have become accustomed to their devices eventually worsening massively in terms of performance and battery life. People have accepted this. And people keep updating, with Apple breaking adoption records every year. People who would like to downgrade old devices... perhaps I can find more.

But then, why don’t they change their ways with their next device and refrain from updating? Maybe because they really don’t want that. We are an extreme minority. I have accepted that Apple will not do this. Maybe they should accept that the iPad isn’t for them once and for all.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[[[.]

But people have become accustomed to their devices eventually worsening massively in terms of performance and battery life. People have accepted this. And people keep updating, with Apple breaking adoption records every year. People who would like to downgrade old devices... perhaps I can find more.

[…]
Don’t think that’s true at all mostly because modern iPhones dont really worsen in terms of performance or battery life.

Our M1 Pro for example still performs admirably.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don’t really care about the SoC other than RAM. If Apple let me I’d have an A17 “Pro” chip with 16GB of RAM to save battery.

The iPad is a “magical pane of glass” per an old Apple presentation. It’s mainly the screen so any screen update is going to boost the experience and OLED will be huge (for me.)

I know it’s a contentious topic - but the mini LED 12.9” was a disappointment between the blooming and off-axis viewing.

Reactions: bloomfeld
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.