Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
Hey all! I was wondering which one makes more sense to get. Apple right now has the M1 iPad Pro 11 in. for $600 in the apple refurbished store. That makes it a really compelling option versus the newest iPad Air, which they come about to the same price for me. My main worry is that the iPad Pro M1 is 3 years old now and it won't be supported for much longer (no more than 3 more years). I also know that the Air has the M2 chip, but I think that doesn't really matter because it's all running iPad OS, but still nice to have a newer chip. My question is if the M2 iPad Air 11 in. or the M1 iPad Pro 11 in. is the better buy. I want something that will easily last me 5-6 years. Thanks for all the help!!

Reactions: JSRinUK

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
Definitely the Pro. It has 4 speakers instead of 2 and most importantly a 120 Hz screen. The M2 is not much faster than the M1 which is still amazing.
makes sense! What do you think about future support for the M1 iPad Pro?

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I’m currently considering a new iPad, and this is one of the comparisons I’m looking at too.

I’ll be interested to read what you go for.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
makes sense! What do you think about future support for the M1 iPad Pro?
By the time the M1 is obsolete the M2 will be old and slow as heck as well. You will be able to enjoy the M1 for a long time. I own the M1 iPad Pro and it‘s blazing fast, no signs of slowing down, even with the bigger 13 inch screen. Apple is still selling the M1 MacBook Air through resellers and it‘s their most popular chip so it’s not going to become obsolete anytime soon. Also don‘t forget they‘re still selling the normal iPad and iPad Mini which both have slower chips than the M1.

I also forgot the Pro has Face ID which is very comfortable to use compared to Touch ID on the Air.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeatCrazy

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
I’m currently considering a new iPad, and this is one of the comparisons I’m looking at too.

I’ll be interested to read what you go for.
Will keep updating! I think this is a popular question as I kept seeing this question all over Reddit 😅

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
By the time the M1 is obsolete the M2 will be old and slow as heck as well. You will be able to enjoy the M1 for a long time. I own the M1 iPad Pro and it‘s blazing fast, no signs of slowing down, even with the bigger 13 inch screen. Apple is still selling the M1 MacBook Air through resellers and it‘s their most popular chip so it’s not going to become obsolete anytime soon. Also don‘t forget they‘re still selling the normal iPad and iPad Mini which both have slower chips than the M1.

I also forgot the Pro has Face ID which is very comfortable to use compared to Touch ID on the Air.
I think the Pro might be the one! Thanks for your help. I’ve been going back and forth the past few days.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I think the post above has settled any lingering doubts I had.

For my use case (it’ll be mostly media consumption, I feel), it’s going to be many long years before it’ll be unable to stream and play videos. I think the M1 pretty much guarantees that.

I‘m going to give myself most of the weekend to “cool off” my thoughts and browse reviews, but I expect I’ll be buying before the end of Sunday. :)

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
I think I’ll wait till next week when the iPad Air comes out. I am wondering if Apple is going to bin (not sure if that’s the right word) the performance like they did on the new iPad Pros that have the lower storage. Curious see the performance difference.

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
I think the post above has settled any lingering doubts I had.

For my use case (it’ll be mostly media consumption, I feel), it’s going to be many long years before it’ll be unable to stream and play videos. I think the M1 pretty much guarantees that.

I‘m going to give myself most of the weekend to “cool off” my thoughts and browse reviews, but I expect I’ll be buying before the end of Sunday. :)
Similar use case here! Planning on also picking up Apple Pencil Pro to take notes. I also don’t care that it’s refurbished because apple’s refurbished is basically brand new.

Reactions: Porterhouse

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
Similar use case here! Planning on also picking up Apple Pencil Pro to take notes. I also don’t care that it’s refurbished because apple’s refurbished is basically brand new.
Yes, having a new battery in it is the primary criteria for me and Apple’s website says it will.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I’d go with the Pro for Face ID, quad speakers, ProMotion, higher brightness, minimally larger screen (11.0” instead of 10.9”), unless the landscape camera is important to you. M1 vs. M2 shouldn’t make much of a difference.

I’d go with the Pro for Face ID, quad speakers, ProMotion, higher brightness, minimally larger screen (11.0” instead of 10.9”), unless the landscape camera is important to you. M1 vs. M2 shouldn’t make much of a difference.
Yes, having a new battery in it is the primary criteria for me and Apple’s website says it will.
Yeah these are the exact factors I'm considering. Except I'm looking at the 12.9 so that even adds in Mini-LED

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Blooming on all non OLED screens. The mini LED on the 12.9" inch was a better screen than the 11" screen, according to reviews.
Blooming is specific to mini-LED. And mini-LED does provide better HDR brightness, which is why reviews say it's better. However if you don’t care much about HDR but can't unsee the blooming, then mini-LED is worse. It's fairly common for different tech to be better in one way but worse in another way, and then it's a matter of individual preference and usage whether it's overall better or worse.

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
Thanks for the help! One of the biggest factors was the 120hz screen! I don't mind the camera, and I think the M1 is lots of power.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I think the screen sizes/pixel counts are actually identical.

M1 Pro is the better value for Promotion, speakers, FaceID.

I think the screen sizes/pixel counts are actually identical.
No the iPad Pro 11" are actually 11". The former iPad Air and current iPad Air 11" are both actually 10.9". That was just a name change

Similarly the iPad Pro 13" is actually 13". The former iPad Pro 12.9" and current iPad Air 13" are both 12.9"

But this is all negligible. Honestly I don't know why they do that

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
What do you think about future support for the M1 iPad Pro?
According to MacTracker, all Pros, dating back to the iPad Pro (iPad Pro 12.9", 2015) is still getting security patches. That's 9 years of support.

For the M1 iPad Pro, 11 inch, that was released in May 2021. I would expect it to get security patches up to around 2030, and to be able to access high security websites (like banking/ finance websites) until around 2033.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
But to answer your question on which one is better to get:

1. Do you use processor intensive apps for commercial purposes? If so, get the iPad Air M2 IF the screen quality doesn't matter.

2. Do you need the larger screen? Get the iPad Pro; otherwise get the iPad Air (the screen is slightly smaller).

3. Do you need the quad speakers or 120 hz display? If so, get the iPad Pro; otherwise get the iPad Air.

4. Do you absolutely keep your machine as long as possible before replacing the machine? If so, get the iPad Air (since it's newer, it should be usable though the mid 2030's), otherwise get the iPad Pro (usable until the early 2030's).

Reactions: JSRinUK

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
You could always try to get a good deal on a m2 pro. I just picked up a 128gb m2 pro for $630

RedMango22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2024
According to MacTracker, all Pros, dating back to the iPad Pro (iPad Pro 12.9", 2015) is still getting security patches. That's 9 years of support.

For the M1 iPad Pro, 11 inch, that was released in May 2021. I would expect it to get security patches up to around 2030, and to be able to access high security websites (like banking/ finance websites) until around 2033.
Thanks! This helps some worries that I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.