Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That discussion is a nothing. It is based on old SSD spec knowledge. They are using tools based on old SSD specs. Nobody knows how durable the new Apple SSDs are.

Also the way people use computers changed so much. People streaming videos and music and getting notifications and downloading/uploading much bigger files than ever.

This is not 2011 anymore. It’s 2021. Of course you writing much more data. Many people don’t keep track how much data they are writing or streaming.

Also, who of those people have not enough system memory compared to how much their apps want to use. We saw so many people stupidly saying 8GB enough man UMA changes the game man UMA uses less memory man. ???

Internet people ???

what grade are these SSDs? TLC?
I’m rusty but aren’t even the cheap ones meant to take a read / write (especially write) beating?

arobert3434

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Recent MacOS writes at an incredible rate. My MBP 16" comes in around half the numbers posted for the M1s and shows the same ratio of read and write roughly equal. So while there's something about the M1, it's only a single-digit factor over what is probably an order of magnitude for MacOS itself over earlier versions and other OS's.

I've spent a bit of time trying to track down where all the writing comes from. Activity Monitor's Disk tab is pretty useful. In my case 25% of the writing goes to launchd (I don't know if that's its own logging or that of processes it manages), then 20% to the kernel (same question), and another 20% to mds/spotlight. The remaining 35% are a mix of heavy-hitter apps like Safari (writing its cache, no doubt) and other system services. (EDIT: I have 32GB RAM and have never seen <10G free so swap shouldn't be at issue.)

I hope the fact that the M1 seems to exacerbate it will get Apple engineering attention directed to the causes.

Last edited:

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
That discussion is a nothing. It is based on old SSD spec knowledge. They are using tools based on old SSD specs. Nobody knows how durable the new Apple SSDs are.

Also the way people use computers changed so much. People streaming videos and music and getting notifications and downloading/uploading much bigger files than ever.

This is not 2011 anymore. It’s 2021. Of course you writing much more data. Many people don’t keep track how much data they are writing or streaming.

Also, who of those people have not enough system memory compared to how much their apps want to use. We saw so many people stupidly saying 8GB enough man UMA changes the game man UMA uses less memory man. ???

Internet people ???
What do you mean? The new SSDs literally have a limit that is specified by the manufacturer and that is being consumed at an alarming rate. What other "new spec" knowledge do you want?

Also, this doesn't appear to have anything to do with the amount of RAM, since people with large amounts of it in their computers are also experiencing this issue.
For me, this sounds like a (very) severe software issue that is resulting in absurd amounts of RAM memory being consumed, that eventually need to be swapped to disk due to its size. Still, I'd love to hear more about people that know more about this than I do.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
For the reported 1% wear in 2 months: That's 8+ years before TBW. Now, the 3% wear is worrying. To be fair though, MacOS and Mac apps aren't the only software writing data to the SSD. There are lots of possibilities; we'll have to wait to see what the root cause is (and it may not be one factor involved). One candidate that comes to mind is data/file syncing applications, cloud-based or otherwise. Depending on how these are configured, e.g. volume and frequency of syncs, they can be very hard on SSD storage.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
This is exactly why I never buy the first version of an Apple product. People wind up being guinea pigs and beta testers. Expensive!

And for something as major as a CPU architecture change, I'd give apple at least 3-4 versions to get the bugs worked out.

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
For the reported 1% wear in 2 months: That's 8+ years before TBW. Now, the 3% wear is worrying. To be fair though, MacOS and Mac apps aren't the only software writing data to the SSD. There are lots of possibilities; we'll have to wait to see what the root cause is (and it may not be one factor involved). One candidate that comes to mind is data/file syncing applications, cloud-based or otherwise. Depending on how these are configured, e.g. volume and frequency of syncs, they can be very hard on SSD storage.
I agree. I remember the Spotify bug before that kept writing data over and over.

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
For comparison this is from my M1 Air with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning: 0x00
Temperature: 48 Celsius
Available Spare: 100%
Available Spare Threshold: 99%
Percentage Used: 0%
Data Units Read: 7,105,688 [3.63 TB]
Data Units Written: 3,318,085 [1.69 TB]
Host Read Commands: 113,745,947
Host Write Commands: 50,687,410
Controller Busy Time: 0
Power Cycles: 169
Power On Hours: 70
Unsafe Shutdowns: 3
Media and Data Integrity Errors: 0
Error Information Log Entries: 0

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Launch day M1 MBA 8/8/16/512

GIbqpfz.png

This looks fairly normal to me.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
What do you mean? The new SSDs literally have a limit that is specified by the manufacturer and that is being consumed at an alarming rate. What other "new spec" knowledge do you want?

Nobody asked the specs or durability of the drives yet. Without this knowledge the discussion is like a waste of energy for people to lose their nuts about on the internet.

You also have to question the people who are seeing high “wear”. How much RAM do they have? Are they spending 20 hours a day on torrent and video streaming? Is there any slow down in the drive?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
what grade are these SSDs? TLC?
I’m rusty but aren’t even the cheap ones meant to take a read / write (especially write) beating?

Debating between TLC or even QLC since that's what the Q might be in SSD part # AP0256Q. Storage feels slow like eMMC on mine so wouldn't be surprised it's QLC. When an app is launched that's not cached in RAM it bounces several times before opening.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Consuming 1% of the warranty in 2 months sounds okay to me... that means the SSD's warranty is good for 200 months = 16 years, 8 months.

Was anyone really buying a computer thinking it could serve as their primary device for that long? How many people are still using computers from 2004 as their primary device?

Edit to add - this is just the warranty limit. I'd guess that most of the SSDs can survive 20+% more writes than they're warrantied for, so we're probably looking at it working for 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.