Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomneo

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
Hi

I made it work with 34WK95U on MacBook Air M1 Ventura 13.1 in clamshell mode with 5160x2160 resolution over Thunderbolt connection. I had exactly the same symptoms you describe: in clamshell mode, the monitor screen will flicker on for half a second (in a weird stretched out resolution) and then turn off and say "no signal" as the laptop goes back to sleep.

The steps:
  1. Reset your monitor to the factory defaults using the display menu. In the monitor menu make sure that DisplayPort is set to 1.4 version (factory default is 1.2) - this is required for 5160x2160 resolution.
  2. Connect the monitor to your Mac using Thunderbolt cable. The monitor will be detected as LG Ultrawide 5k with the maximum resolution 5160x2160. Set the monitor as “extended primary” display. Now if you close the lid you will be back to the “no signal” issue. But the monitor is actually alive, it’s just set to incompatible resolution for some reason (thanks to LG or Apple, or both).
  3. Don’t close the lid. What you need now is a computer with a software capable of remotely logging into your Mac. I used another Mac and Apple Remote Desktop so the further steps assume that software (teamviewer or whatever should work too).
  4. In the settings enable the remote management of your Mac.
  5. Try to remotely login from another computer. If successful closed the lid.
  6. The monitor will go black but you should be able to see the desktop in the Remote Desktop. You already guessed what will happen next, right? :)
  7. Go to the screen settings and set the proper resolution. The monitor should go live now.
You don’t need to repeat these steps every time. From now on the monitor should behave as expected. The only downside I noticed is the time it takes to wake up Mac - could be around 10 seconds - you might need to press keyboard or mouse buttons several times. Also, you might not want the one to one 5160x2160 mode - the text is too small, I prefer to use HiDPI mode.

Let me know if you need more instructions or screenshots.

Best regards
D
Hi !!!

First THANK YOU for taking the time to write all this information, it's been hours with support and no help.

I ALMOST DID IT but I need you help please!

The weird thing is that now im connected via Thunderbolt and HDMI, and the thunderbolt is working in 3440 x 1440 , and have the 1720 x 720 HiDPI option.

BUT! when I try to disconnect the HDMI, it goes into that awful loop with the M1.

I TRIED your teamviewer option, but, every time I close the LID, its logs me out of TEAMVIEWER.

What can I do???? :/

Everything started when I tried to fix the resolution and chose the wrong one.

The weird thing is that now the Thunderbolt Display (1) is showing NO resolution option, only the HDMI BUT it works in the thunderbolt. ALL WEIRD:

:/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 15.19.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 15.19.58.png
    688.9 KB · Views: 388

tomneo

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
UPDATE: I sort of 'fixed' the Thunderbolt situation I was experiencing (see prob description in prev post) by powering up the Macbook Air M1 in "safe mode" and then connecting the LG monitor, and when it began to cycle through the same problem (flash on and go dark and Display Settings on MBA not able to see the LG monitor long enough to adjust settings) I held down the "command" key and "F1," and then I was able to see the display settings for the LG, and I made sure to set to "default" resolution. I un-mirrored the displays, and they worked.

I rebooted the MBA, and now the Thunderbolt cable works just like the display port cable. In other words, using the Thunderbolt, I get 5120 X 2160 (text is too small but sharp), and the next size is 3008 x 1269, but then the text is a little too large (although still sharp). I can live with 3008 X 1269 - because it is sharp. So Thunderbolt and Display port cables give the same sharp image at the same resolutions. However, Thunderbolt is better because it is better for cable management since the thunderbolt powers the MBA and I can use the extra USB ports on the monitor. Oh, and not sure it was needed, but I set the Display port to 1.2 instead of 1.4.

Other than the limited resolution options (due to Macbook Air M1), I like the monitor. The colors are great, plus I need a bright monitor because the home office has windows everywhere and I have a lot of sunlight in the room. Most large monitors have more limited brightness and get washed out. Plus, the colors really are great - I can match the MBA monitor.

I do not use it in the clamshell-closed mode, so I did not compare the Thunderbolt v Displayport cable on that. Also, I haven't experienced "wake-up" issues - it seems fast and stable. I will likely update later after more time to compare.
THANK YOUUUUUU AFTER 4 HOURS YOU SAVED ME :)

Reactions: ac1califas

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi all, I was almost decided to jump into the LG 40WP95c (40", 5k2k) but found a thread in reddit where many people report issues with flickering and barndoor (which I don't know what it is) with that monitor. Any happy/angry user of this monitor around? Any bad report on the LG 34 version? I also have a good offer to get the Dell 4021qw (~200 less than the LG) which uses the same panel, so now I'm doubting.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Finally I decided on the Dell. Kinda happy with it, it's massive, crisp, and nice set of features/connectivity. A bit deception in terms of viewing angles, but I guess is common with monitors of this size. I'm running the default 5120x2160 using thunderbolt, font is OK to me, I'm used to small font. While waiting for the mini M2 Pro, using it on a 2019 Air so I can only run 30Hz at the native resolution.

Reactions: jdoll021

ac1califas

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
@ChrnoXIII, I agree with @grmlin. I’m getting a MBP M2 Max for the same reason, I don’t want to mess around with “hacks” or workarounds and just want to have my three displays working with the laptop out of the box. If you want to put in the time and effort, then you can do as @anthonymoody suggests and peruse this or some of the other ultrawide threads for workarounds.

That said, I have the LG 34” 5k2k ultrawide and I’m loving it so far. I haven’t had a chance to try it out on a MBP yet, but I’ll update when I give it a shot. However, there are some people on this thread who have used it solo with an MBA or used it with an MBP and have loved it. A few even said they didn’t notice a difference between their 27” retina iMacs.
Yes, that was my thinking. I got the MBP M2 Max - and the monitor works great. It has many resolution options to choose from and the text is sharp, not blurry. Also the LG 34" 5Kx2K is bright. It looks great next to the MBP M2 Max screen (my office has a lot of sunlight so a bright screen is needed or else it looks washed out). But for those that want to use it in clamshell mode, the MBP M2 Max works great with the LG 34" 5Kx2K.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Has anyone compared or upgraded to the 40" LG 5k2k from the 34" 5k2k? If so, how did you find they compare?

kikote

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Hürth, Germany
Has anyone compared or upgraded to the 40" LG 5k2k from the 34" 5k2k? If so, how did you find they compare?
I did have the LG34 and have now the LG40. Image quality is nearly identical but the LG40 does work better with the MAC...It wakes up instantly in comparisonn with the 34 model... No problems so far.
Besides the waking time, the LG 40 is a pretty decent update. The 40 inch and the curved screen makes it a productivity beast... The best ergonomics i have had so far ( Iam using an ergotron monitor arm). I am driving it with a 3840x1620 HiDpi resolution and it has been a real joy so far.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The slow wake-up really is annoying. Had the same problem with my ThinkPad though

Chrysalis99

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
How long are you guys considering the wake up to be slow? I just got the 34BK95U and its a tad slow, around 4 seconds, but I dont find it too annoying. *shrugs*

I'm using mine in clamshell mode and very happy. I get all the resolutions mentioned throughout this thread without additional software (Switch..Better Display). Im mainly using 3840X1620 and everything is crystal clear and sharp as a tack. Absolutely stunning display. I've played some video and changed the resolution to 5120x2160 and didnt notice any quality differences. Both are beautiful.

I do have one very annoying problem not related to the display or MacBook. One of the audio programs I use daily is annoyingly small at 3840X1620 and there is no way to make it bigger. Im forced to use 2560X1080 to see it well which makes everything else annoying B I G. Im contacting their customer support to see what can be done, if anything.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
mine sometimes takes 15 seconds or something until I see an image. It first shows everything on the internal screen of the MacBook, than things move, and some more seconds later I finally get an image.

Nothing too bad, I just use a screensaver so it almost never bothers me during a work day.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Should the monitor be set to Displayport 1.2 or 1.4? What is the difference?

Also, if connecting the monitor to a dock that has both Displayport 1.4 out and Thunderbolt, which is the better option for this monitor?

Last edited:

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
Should the monitor be set to Displayport 1.2 or 1.4? What is the difference?

Also, if connecting the monitor to a dock that has both Displayport 1.4 out and Thunderbolt, which is the better option for this monitor?

Unless you have a dock that can’t handle it, absolutely set it to DisplayPort 1.4. Won’t be able to run at native or scaled resolution, or take full advantage of the ultrawide, on DisplayPort 1.2. Less throughput. I learned that the hard way.

I’m not sure about your second question since I’m still kind of learning myself, but if I understand the technology correctly, then it depends on what you’re trying to do. If you’re going to plug a thunderbolt supported monitor or a high resolution monitor with peripherals installed, you’ll want to use the thunderbolt port for the extra throughput. If your monitor doesn’t support thunderbolt and you won’t have peripherals attached, I’d save the thunderbolt port and go with the DP port.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
mine sometimes takes 15 seconds or something until I see an image. It first shows everything on the internal screen of the MacBook, than things move, and some more seconds later I finally get an image.

Nothing too bad, I just use a screensaver so it almost never bothers me during a work day.

Yeah, I have a similar problem. Annoying but doesn’t impact me significantly.

My real big problem is that I use it with my work pc and windows sucks at managing multiple monitors. Even worse with delayed screen wake. All of my apps and windows are scattered all over the place (and recently desktop icons too). I have to spend 5-10 minutes every morning cleaning it all up. Don’t know why Microsoft can’t be bothered to implement something like the MacOS workspace feature. It’s great having a workspace assigned to a monitor, but it’s still all there in its own workspace with an easy to swipe gesture after you unplug the monitors.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

My real big problem is that I use it with my work pc and windows sucks at managing multiple monitors. Even worse with delayed screen wake. All of my apps and windows are scattered all over the place (and recently desktop icons too). I have to spend 5-10 minutes every morning cleaning it all up. Don’t know why Microsoft can’t be bothered to implement something like the MacOS workspace feature. It’s great having a workspace assigned to a monitor, but it’s still all there in its own workspace with an easy to swipe gesture after you unplug the monitors.
I’ve actually turned off the option for separate spaces on each monitor since with it on, windows can’t span from one display to the other.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015

Oh yes, Windows 10 was an absolute disaster, 11 a bit better but still a buggy mess. I had to turn off all energy saving options as I had to reorganize my desktop setup a zillion times a day otherwise. It was also great fun when the scaling bugged out and I had to set it to something else and back to fix it.

It's absolutely unbelievable that Microsoft can't fix this broken mess.

MacOS is just infinitely better than Windows in dealing with HighDPI screens. It's not even funny

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
I’ve actually turned off the option for separate spaces on each monitor since with it on, windows can’t span from one display to the other.

Sorry, are you referring to MacOS? If I had two 27” monitors, I might do the same on the Mac. I find it’s not an issue with the ultrawide though. I can have large windows on the ultrawide while keeping other apps (email, task app, etc) open on my side monitor.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
Oh yes, Windows 10 was an absolute disaster, 11 a bit better but still a buggy mess. I had to turn off all energy saving options as I had to reorganize my desktop setup a zillion times a day otherwise. It was also great fun when the scaling bugged out and I had to set it to something else and back to fix it.

It's absolutely unbelievable that Microsoft can't fix this broken mess.

MacOS is just infinitely better than Windows in dealing with HighDPI screens. It's not even funny

Agreed. Maybe someday IT will upgrade us to windows 11. Hopefully before I retire! 😂

roman.stapunov

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Belarus
Yes, that was my thinking. I got the MBP M2 Max - and the monitor works great. It has many resolution options to choose from and the text is sharp, not blurry. Also the LG 34" 5Kx2K is bright. It looks great next to the MBP M2 Max screen (my office has a lot of sunlight so a bright screen is needed or else it looks washed out). But for those that want to use it in clamshell mode, the MBP M2 Max works great with the LG 34" 5Kx2K.
Can you post a screen shot of available resolutions(scale options)? Are you using connection via Thunderbolt or HDMI?

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2023
Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

I have an entry-level M2 Mac Mini that I'm using for business purposes (I am a copywriter). I just ordered the LG 34BK95U-W yesterday.

Does anyone know if recent MacOS updates have resolved the issue where entry level Mac Mini M2 can't have as high of a HiDPI or resolution on this monitor as the pro and max?

And for those of you who have this monitor and an entry level m2 Mac Mini (or MBA)....can I ask what settings you're using (resolution/etc) and are you using BetterDisplay?

I got my M2 Mac Mini from Costco and I think I'm within the return policy window (not 100%). I could technically return the M2 and get the M2 Pro—but that's another $900 and considering how I'm a writer...it just seems like a ton of money to pay for much clearer text.

I might be using InDesign in the future to design sales brochures for clients. So that's another reason I rationalized this monitor purchase.

Thanks!

Edit: Do you think the M2 Mini Pro might come down in price a little bit after the upcoming Apple Event in a few weeks?

Last edited:

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2023
@henrys I got it working! Everything is looking crisp at 3840x1620 on my LG 34BK95U-W ultrawide, powered by my M1 Air ?

My setup:
  • M1 MacBook Air
  • macOS 12.3.1
  • LG 34BK95U-W
  • Interface: Thunderbolt 3 cable (using either DP 1.2 or 1.4—doesn't matter)
  • Resolutions available to me: 3840x1620, 3414x1440, etc.
Basically what you need to do is this:
  1. Install BetterDummy
  2. Create a Dummy (i.e. a virtual display) with a "Custom Aspect Ratio" of whatever resolution you want (e.g. 3840x1620)
  3. Set that Dummy's "Mirroring Target" to your LG 5K (i.e. mirror the virtual display to your actual display)
And voilà, you have your LG 5K running at whatever resolution you picked ? I've gotta say, running an ultrawide at HiDPI is incredible for productivity. I had previously purchased a Studio Display and, while nice, I returned it after 2 weeks because what I really wanted was more screen real-estate. That's when I bought the LG.

Hi, are there any drawbacks of creating and using a dummy in BetterDisplay? I read through most of this forum thread and I think I recall someone saying that using a dummy screen will prevent you from turning on HDR?

And I realize I'm a bit late to the party, considering you made this post over a year ago. Is the method you described still working? I don't get my monitor until next week sometime.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
AFAIK it’s a hardware limitation, and software based fixes are glitchy.

I personally would not want to mess around with a hacky solution and would either get a Mac Mini Pro or different 4K monitor instead.

BTW, mine still works great with my M1 Max 👍

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2023
AFAIK it’s a hardware limitation, and software based fixes are glitchy.

I personally would not want to mess around with a hacky solution and would either get a Mac Mini Pro or different 4K monitor instead.

BTW, mine still works great with my M1 Max 👍

I was able to get Costco to allow me to return my Mac Mini M2 (entry level) for a full refund.

Just placed an order for a M2 Mac Mini Pro.

Can I ask what resolution you're running on your M1 Max and the 34BK95U monitor? And are the resolution/etc options on the Pro and Max the same? Or does the Max have more? Are you using BetterDisplay?

And considering how I have been using a LG C2 OLED as my monitor for the past few weeks (104? PPI)....do you think I will be impressed with the 34BK95U and Mac Mini Pro M2 (in terms of text clarity and color)?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
no idea if the screen will impress you, also can't say if it works differently with the M2 Pro, never tried that one. But I don't think so.
It's not the best screen, it has pretty intense image retention issues that can be annoying, it's only 60Hz, and it's not as sharp as a 27" 5K screen. It also doesn't have to colors and contrast of an OLED. But I like the ultrawide form factor. Don't know if I would get one again though. My wife uses a 30 or 31" 4K screen which is also really good.

Regarding the resolution:
View attachment 2076464

that's the one I use and like the most. Looks pretty similar to 125% I used with Windows.

Kaszebe

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2023
Thanks. Is there any way to mitigate the image retention? Does LG consider that a defect and are some panels more susceptible than others to image retention?

This is strictly a work computer and it will only be used with my Mac....so am hoping if there are any image retention issues...I won't notice it because I have the same workflow daily.

Have to admit...the colors on my LG C2 42" OLED are looking pretty good. But I would prefer to have another daily driver for work considering how OLED is just as susceptible to burn in. Might as well save this tv for my bedroom or playing videogames.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Well, that’s an issue with that panel I think. But other that burn in it’s not permanent and goes away eventually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.