Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I’m still on the fence. The only thing that makes me want to is the oled screen. I have both a 11” and 12.9” and would need both magic keyboards and the new pencil so upgrading for me would be very expensive. I just can’t imagine needing anything more than what I currently have.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m still on the fence. The only thing that makes me want to is the oled screen. I have both a 11” and 12.9” and would need both magic keyboards and the new pencil so upgrading for me would be very expensive. I just can’t imagine needing anything more than what I currently have.

I have the M1 12.9 and while the new Pro is attractive, I don't think I'll upgrade due to the cost of buying new accessories - MKB, Pencil, case to use when not wanting to use the MKB. For me, I don't see the change in user experience being worth the significant cost.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wouldn't overextend if it isn't financial feasible to make a purchase - you could only replace one and alternate upgrade years/releases which is a strategy @rui no onna has discussed before. These prices on these are a serious consideration. What do you do on your iPads? Is there one where you consume content more or create artistic items on more? That would be the one to benefit from OLED.

That said, I do find the discourse around the display somewhat amusing. The iPad ostensibly exists for the display; it's a display you hold in your hands. So any time there is an improvement to the display it elevates the entire iPad experience - this was very true of the transition to Retina, less so the movement to 120hz and mini-LED. All that to say, I think a screen alone can be enough of a reason depending on the person.

Personally, I'm moving from a 12.9" iPad Pro M1 to an 11" iPad Pro. I wanted to consolidate my larger iPad Pro and iPad mini, but I would have been willing to upgrade 11" to 11". Depending on configuration you'll be getting more RAM, faster CPU/GPU (depending on your needs), a new battery, and a MUCH improved display on the 11" and considerably improved on the 12.9" (I found the blooming and off-axis viewing on the miniLED quite disappointing).

I am cautiously optimistic about battery life. Apple stated that the M4 can deliver the same performance at 1/2 the power I believe. I'm hoping that for casual use the M4 will prove more efficient and that dark mode on OLED can make a meaningful improvement to battery life as I personally found the M1 battery life to be a disappointment.

I just can’t imagine needing anything more than what I currently have.
If this is really the case and your current devices serve you well then leave it alone and think of how much nicer the next versions will be in 2025/2026.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
The only thing I'm salty about is they made the keyboard how it should've been to start with. It's retains the nice soft texture on the outside while giving a complete MacBook-like feel on the inside. It makes the old one look like a toy and a complete rip off. Honestly, that's the biggest reason I'd want to upgrade. Also shaving half a pound or whatever it is would be nice.

If my 2021 setup (iPP, MKB, Pencil) sells for what I want, I'll upgrade, but I see no reason to give it away. I'll just keep it and buy a 2024 since it's been 3 years since I've bought a new iPad anyway.

OLED, while nice, still not really a must for me as OLED for me is most useful for gaming and the iPad still isn't really there for that...MiniLED still gives a great HDR experience and deep blacks.

But no, I'm not in any hurry and I'll definitely wait for a discount if I buy one at all. I've been using my 14" M1 MBP a lot lately and have not really missed the iPad. We'll see what WWDC brings.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I wouldn't overextend if it isn't financial feasible to make a purchase - you could only replace one and alternate upgrade years/releases which is a strategy @rui no onna has discussed before. These prices on these are a serious consideration. What do you do on your iPads? Is there one where you consume content more or create artistic items on more? That would be the one to benefit from OLED.

That said, I do find the discourse around the display somewhat amusing. The iPad ostensibly exists for the display; it's a display you hold in your hands. So any time there is an improvement to the display it elevates the entire iPad experience - this was very true of the transition to Retina, less so the movement to 120hz and mini-LED. All that to say, I think a screen alone can be enough of a reason depending on the person.

Personally, I'm moving from a 12.9" iPad Pro M1 to an 11" iPad Pro. I wanted to consolidate my larger iPad Pro and iPad mini, but I would have been willing to upgrade 11" to 11". Depending on configuration you'll be getting more RAM, faster CPU/GPU (depending on your needs), a new battery, and a MUCH improved display on the 11" and considerably improved on the 12.9" (I found the blooming and off-axis viewing on the miniLED quite disappointing).

I am cautiously optimistic about battery life. Apple stated that the M4 can deliver the same performance at 1/2 the power I believe. I'm hoping that for casual use the M4 will prove more efficient and that dark mode on OLED can make a meaningful improvement to battery life as I personally found the M1 battery life to be a disappointment.

If this is really the case and your current devices serve you well then leave it alone and think of how much nicer the next versions will be in 2025/2026.
Information is delivered to you via the display ... that does not make the display the be all and end all of the iPad. There are diminishing returns to improving the display at this point. So this is going to be personal preference, but wht can you do on the OLED that you can't do on the previous iPad Pro? Pixel peeping the OLED display in pitch black darkness is not, IMO, a compelling use case. The mini LED iPad Pro 12.9 continues to look great in the vast majority of scenarios.

Back in 2021, I bought the iPad Pro 12.9 (5th Gen), Wi-Fi only, in the 1TB size when it was released, along with the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.

I just now ordered the new iPad Pro 13” (M4 chip), Wi-Fi only, in the 2TB size, with Pencil Pro and Magic Keyboard.

Reasons? My current iPad’s battery has diminished in it’s charge level and has noticeable less battery life than when it was new. I also need (want?) the OLED display as I use the Adobe Creative Suite. Additionally, I’m also looking forward to the lighter weight of both the iPad and of the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: millydog

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
I’m absolutely upgrading. OLED destroys mini-LED, and the revamped MacBook-esque keyboard is long overdue. Landscape camera is huge too. New pencil is great. Hardware accelerated ray tracing is great.

My only issue is my M1 iPad Pro has mmWave 5G, so it does feel like a step backward with the M4 missing mmWave. But not a huge concern since Verizon is leveraging c-band now.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I wanted a miniled 11in back in 2021, but settled for the 12.9.

Now the better screen tech is in the 11in, I’m trading in my m1 for an 11in m4.

Also looking forward to better battery life and horizontal camera, and I will use the new features in the pencil pro and magic keyboard.

If I weren’t changing size I probably wouldn’t change - though I was pleasantly surprised by apple’s trade in offer.

Norbert Mikołajczyk

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2016
Definitely not, definitely not worth the upgrade from 12.9 M1.
I like it is lighter and it is OLED (but maybe it will be too easy to bend it?), but if I wanted to upgrade I would wait for ios18.
If ios18 won't be a revolution then the upgrade will be not worth it at all.
It's too expensive as a browser, reader and a paper holder ;)

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Yep, ordered a 13” 256GB and the new keyboard. Only question is wether or not I should get the 11” instead, but I have been happy with my 12.9” and iPad Mini combo for a while.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I will keep my M1 12.9 and probably get the M4 13 w/MK. I was leaning towards the 11, but the increased size of the keyboard and trackpad is pushing me to the larger size.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It certainly depends on the person. I remember when the iPhone X was released and there were many here who suddenly claimed LCD iPhones were rubbish because the screen was so much better on the X. Now we pretty much all have OLED iPhones and some of us used OLED and LCD side by side and in reality it was a load of fuss about very small improvements. It might be very different on a larger screen iPad of course, but I doubt everybody will be that fussed and these iPads will appeal to the niche that are willing to pay big money for a difference they can see.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Hmm, it's very tempting, but it's expensive and it still runs iPad OS so is still restricted in what it can do.

Reactions: The Clark

CouldBeWorse

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I’m upgrading from an m1. I could use more storage but what is really drawing me in is the nicer screen and keyboard. This will easily be the nicest screen I own which makes it worthwhile for me.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I am a somewhat heavy user of the front facing camera for Microsoft Teams and Zoom calls (largely for work). I have two iPads - an Air (11 Inch) and an M1 Pro (12.9 Inch). I really want the new landscape camera, along with the other upgrades. What I am actually considering doing is getting the 13" iPad Air, so I can reuse my current Magic Keyboard, and an 11 Inch iPad Pro, to get access to the new OLED screen. The upgrades would cost about $2,000 after trade ins, which seem very steep for all of this.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Got an M1 12.9" Pro. I'm in the "it's main limit for me is iPadOS" camp - it's a great little machine, but it could do so much more if I could run MacOS apps. I see no need to upgrade it, the OS/iPadOS apps limit it more than the hardware spec.

Bet that OLED is great though :)

Reactions: gusping

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Currently have an 11" M1, going to upgrade to the 13". I haven't used an iPad this size since the very first Pro, so curious to see if I like it better or end up exchanging for the 11 again.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
For me a thinner, lighter 12.9 is tempting, as is OLED, if there is a dramatic improvement over miniLED.

But mostly I’m waiting until WWDC to see what Apple announces for ipadOS 18. If it doesn’t fundamentally change the experience of using iPad, then I’ll see insufficient reason to upgrade and also rebuy my keyboards (Magic and Smart), Pencil and Smart Folios at a significant cost, and instead just contentedly sit tight with what I already have until the next cycle.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I own an 11" M1 iPad Pro. If I had the funds, I might consider the 13" iPad Air to finally try out that larger formfactor. But I don't and the iPad is still doing everything I want from it.

I splurged when I bought the iPad Pro and also got the Magic Keyboard and the Pencil. I love the versatility of the iPad in general, but the workflows are just too different for my taste between my Mac and the iPad. Too much friction to use the iPad as a portable work computer. My MacBook Pro is still much better at that. And I really tried, but it's just not for me. I would love to live in a world where I would ONLY have the iPad Pro and no Macs at all. But that's not feasible as well for me.

Therefore, I won't get a Pro again. I'm also annoyed how both Keyboard and Pencil aren't compatible anymore. It's the second time now that a Pencil is incompatible with the latest iPads. Enough is enough.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, the better screen is something I have been waiting for for some time, and I'd be happy with a new battery as a bonus.

The relocated camera on the long edge and the M4 processor are nice to have, but not things which would have gotten me to upgrade on their own merits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.