Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Before anyone tries to buy a new iPad Pro with an OLED Display let’s focus on Performance. What Do we expect 10% to 20% in an iPad Chasis with no active cooling ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
LOL as expected the usual downplay of expectations post from Ms FUD. Waiting for the post after the release why we all should be upset or immediately leave everything behind and buy the new thing.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Before anyone tries to buy a new iPad Pro with an OLED Display let’s focus on Performance. What Do we expect 10% to 20% in an iPad Chasis with no active cooling ?
A faster CPU can reduce the heat load by competing a task faster. That kind of thing won't show up in artificial benchmark tests, but in the real world we do specific tasks that start and then complete. When the CPU can get work done sooner, it spends less time generating heat.

realtired

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2024
A faster CPU can reduce the heat load by competing a task faster. That kind of thing won't show up in artificial benchmark tests, but in the real world we do specific tasks that start and then complete. When the CPU can get work done sooner, it spends less time generating heat.
Agreed. Each generation of Apple silicon has seen small performance boosts but also improvements to power efficiency. The newer iPads will see tasks being completed faster and with less power, meaning less heat generated.

Reactions: kitKAC and Tagbert

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am going to get an iPad Pro. The only thing I am waiting for is seeing what the M3 brings to the table. My 2013 iPad Air has been retired for several years. It works but it is no longer updated and has none of the goodies I have learned to like on My iPhone 14 Pro Max, like Apple Pay. What I am wondering is it SOP to wait awhile to get past any brand new device problems or just go ahead an order one when available. I know what I am looking for, at least 1TB of storage, 1 or 2 TB of storage also comes with 16 GB pf RAM (M2). In the past I have always purchased the maximum amount of storage since it cannot be upgraded. I have 1TB on the iPhone and to date I have not used even 1/2 of it. When I purchased the Mac Studio that changed how my memory storage was distributed. The decision about WiFi or wireless was made for me by Verizon when they rolled out 5G-mmWave. I run about 12 mbps on my home DSL, and over 300 MBPS on 5G-mmWave. On the iPhone when at home I am on my WiFi system, 12mbps is fast enough. But when I am downloading anything, like apps, and new OS's I use 5G so much faster. Normally what happens is I wait until there is an Otterbox Defender case for the new device. But The iPad is not going to leave my desktop much, I have the iPhone for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.