Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest series of custom silicon chips designed for the Mac come just over a year after the introduction of the M2 chip in 2022, so how much better really is M3?

Apple-M3-chip-series.jpg

With the introduction of the M3 series, encompassing the M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips, Apple once again set new benchmarks in performance, efficiency, and capabilities for the Mac. The transition from M2 to M3 is marked by significant enhancements, primarily thanks to Apple's move to a 3nm process, among other key architectural improvements such as a completely redesigned GPU.

When unveiling the M3 chips, Apple mainly focused on how they compare to the M1 series of chips, rather than their direct predecessors from the M2 series. As the third major iteration of Apple silicon, it may not be clear how significant of an improvement the ‌M3 chips are‌ over the ‌M2. Apple offers a range of devices with the M2 and M3 chips, so the extent to which the ‌M2‌ is better than its predecessor could also be an important consideration when purchasing a new Mac. Read on to learn about all of the differences between the two series of chips.

M2 vs. M3

The Apple M3 chip represents a significant advancement over its predecessor, with the headline upgrade being the transition to a more advanced fabrication process that is just 3nm in size, down from 5nm on the M2 series of chips. This is evident in the M3's increased transistor count, jumping from 20 billion in the M2 to 25 billion, a 25% increase that contributes to its enhanced capabilities.

M3-Chip-Apple-Event-Slide.jpg

Benchmark tests underscore this progression, with the M3 outperforming the M2 by about 17% in single-core tasks and approximately 21% in multi-core tasks. In GPU performance measured by Metal benchmarks, the M3 exhibits a notable improvement of around 15% over the M2.

The M3 chip introduces an all-new GPU architecture. This architecture includes Dynamic Caching, a breakthrough feature that optimizes GPU memory allocation and utilization, adapting in real-time to varying task demands. This enhancement not only boosts graphics performance for intensive applications but also bolsters the chip's overall energy efficiency. This is particularly beneficial for graphics-heavy tasks like advanced video editing, 3D rendering, and gaming. It also features support for AV1 video decode to provide more efficient and higher-quality video from streaming services.

Despite similarities in the 16-core Neural Engine between the M2 and M3, the M3's adoption of a 3nm process leads to more efficient execution of machine learning and AI tasks. Additionally, the M3 maintains up to 24GB of unified memory, just like the M2, but leverages the new process for more efficient memory bandwidth utilization.

One other notable difference between the M2 and M3 chips is their energy efficiency. The 3nm fabrication process enables the M3 to achieve higher performance without a proportional increase in power consumption, making the chip particularly appealing for laptop users who value a balance between power and battery life.

Overall, the M3 chip is a considerable upgrade from the M2, distinguished by its higher transistor count, improved performance in CPU and GPU tasks, and superior energy efficiency. While the M3 offers clear advancements, the extent of its superiority does not necessitate an immediate upgrade for current M2 users, especially if their existing workflows are still completed comfortably. For new buyers or those upgrading from older models, the M3's improvements in performance and efficiency will be much more pronounced.

M2 Pro vs. M3 Pro

The M3 Pro presents something of a mixed picture. Despite having fewer transistors than its predecessor (37 billion compared to the M2 Pro's 40 billion), the M3 Pro leverages its 3nm technology to achieve moderate performance improvements, but in some ways the chip is a step back.

M3-Pro-Chip-Feature.jpg

In single-core tasks, the M3 Pro shows a 18% improvement over the M2 Pro, much like the M3 compared to the M2. In multi-core tasks, the M3 Pro shows a modest improvement of approximately 8%. The M2 Pro offers either six or eight high-performance cores and four energy-efficient cores. In contrast, the M3 Pro comes with either five or six high-performance cores and six energy-efficient cores. The increase in energy-efficient cores in the M3 Pro suggests a focus on maintaining high performance while optimizing for power efficiency, which could be particularly advantageous in battery-dependent or thermally constrained environments compared to its predecessor.

The M2 Pro is equipped with either 16 or 19 GPU cores, while the M3 Pro scales back to 14 or 18 GPU cores. In GPU performance, there is a decrease of about 5% compared to the M2 Pro due to its reduced number of cores. Despite this, the new GPU architecture, inclusive of hardware-accelerated ray tracing, mesh shading, and Dynamic Caching, could still yield notable performance improvements in specific real-world workflows, especially those that leverage these new technologies.

The M3 Pro's unified memory bandwidth of 150GB/s, compared to the M2 Pro's 200GB/s, might impact tasks heavily reliant on rapid memory access, although the overall efficiency gains from the 3nm process could balance out some of these constraints.

Overall, the M3 Pro presents a complex predicament: It offers a clear advantage in single-core CPU performance and a slight edge in multi-core performance, but a step back in GPU performance and core counts. The M3 Pro is a potentially suitable choice for users who prioritize CPU performance and can benefit from the specific advancements in its new GPU architecture. For many current M2 Pro users, especially those whose workflows are heavily GPU- and memory bandwidth-centric, the M3 Pro does not constitute a worthwhile upgrade at all.

M2 Max vs. M3 Max

The M3 Max comes with an impressive 92 billion transistors, a significant increase from the M2 Max's 67 billion, allowing for more complex and efficient processing capabilities. The M2 Max features eight high-performance cores and four energy-efficient cores, while the M3 Max adds an extra two or four high-performance cores. This increase in the number of high-performance cores in the M3 Max indicates a shift towards providing better raw processing power compared to previous generations that had the same number of CPU cores as the M1 Pro and M2 Pro chips... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: M2 vs. M3 Buyer's Guide: How Much Better Really Is M3?

Last edited:

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
It would be wise for Apple to differentiate their chips based on intended use. I do photo editing and videography so having a chip with better raw performance is important. My M1M Studio is perfect for this. But someone that does coding may benefit more from a different chip arrangement. It’s not just “more better faster” anymore. Chips are becoming more use-case specific (AI, graphics, ray tracing, etc) and I’d like to see that reflected in Apple SOCs.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It would be wise for Apple to differentiate their chips based on intended use. I do photo editing and videography so having a chip with better raw performance is important. My M1M Studio is perfect for this. But someone that does coding may benefit more from a different chip arrangement. It’s not just “more better faster” anymore. Chips are becoming more use-case specific (AI, graphics, ray tracing, etc) and I’d like to see that reflected in Apple SOCs.
Apple does differentiate based on intended use albeit in a very broad manner. Such is not really helpful to new users to Macs. I think articles such as this would benefit even more by forgetting the benchmark retort and showcase different hands on workflows which, in my opinion, would help give the reader and viewer of the article and video a better idea of a non-upgrade / upgrade purchase to the M2 or M3.

Last edited:

iMean

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
I do coding (Web, Desktop, Apps, Games). We benefit from raw power too.

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
I'll just note that this is a nonsense sentence:

The M3 Pro's unified memory bandwidth of 150GB/s, compared to the ‌M2‌ Pro's 200GB/s, might impact tasks heavily reliant on rapid memory access, although the overall efficiency gains from the ‌3nm‌ process could balance out some of these constraints.

The process doesn't play into this. If I have a design and shrink it, and leave all other things equal, my memory performance won't suddenly change. (Some internal latency might get slightly better as distances shrink? But in this context, meh)

Now, if you use an increased silicon budget for more cache or you had an architectural change that made your memory controller more efficient, then sure. But you could hypothetically do that in the old node, too.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Not that much faster than M1
At this point 😅 the only thing that will make a huge difference is RAM.
Actually, since the article was comparing the M3 range with the M2 range, and the M2 was already somewhat faster than M1, it depends what you mean by "much faster".

Plus - Hooray! your just-over-2-year-old M1 Pro MacBook Pro isn't obsolete yet... It's nice for Apple if people buy a new $2000 laptop every year but I suspect the majority of the mid-high end laptop market expects at least 3 years out of a machine, so most of their target audience are still using Intel Macs.

I think the main progress is that they've improved the placement of the M3 Pro w.r.t. the M3 Max so that its now clearly about battery life vs. performance. The "pro" hasn't gotten worse and the "max" now offers more than just a bigger GPU.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
I only run the basic Apple apps: Mail, Safari (with around 8 tabs), Numbers, Pages, Messages, News, and maybe Music. My most used tab in Safari is Wikipedia. I know I'm probably the 'litest' of users, but I like to be on the current generation chip. (I, also, upgraded to the M3 iMac because I worry that Apple could need to exit from their manufacturing hub and/or manufacturing would be interrupted in Asia.) Plus, trading in my M1 iMac they gave me $430 off the $1299 price ... so, $869 works for me!

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
This is so true... I think they should concentrate on supplying two or three bespoke solutions targeting particular workflows for their 'higher end' devices. And then I think the huge costs of those tiers would warrant the such high prices.

The more is better situation is only better for the jack of all trades lower tiers... were the consumer might try a bit of this, and a bit of that.

Now that they design and contract out the manufacturing of their own silicon.. this should be feasible.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

You can do photo and video on an iPhone and on a iPad. There is no “chip” for photo editing.

Besides, a M3 Max is better at everything than a M3 Pro, so there is no reason to pic a M3 Pro over a M3 Max at all.

Coding is just creating text files, you can do this on a toaster even. There is no dedicated M3 Pro chip for coding.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I just use outlook, safari, chrome, maybe excel, word, Citrix, iMovie, Fusion 13.5 and that’s about it. M2 Pro is fine for me unless I come across tons of disposable income soon.

Reactions: theorist9 and WC7

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not a power user but I do heavier lifting than email, word processing and web browsing. Quite a bit of photo processing and some video processing. I have a 2019 iMac (see signature below) and it still gets the job done.

Clearly, I don't need an M3 Ultra chip and 128gb of RAM. And I might be able to get by with a base M3 and 24gb of RAM. But I'd like some more headroom than that.

And I think the answer - at least for me - is in the M2 family. I do most of my photo work on the desktop. Given the not-very-large difference in price between an M2 Pro Mac Mini and a base M2 Max Mac Studio, I'm tempted to take advantage of holiday pricing and pick up a base Studio with 32gb of RAM.

Reactions: sauria and Wheel_D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Would have been helpful for this article to compare the specs and performance of the M3 Max to the M2 Ultra, since these are the currently available high end CPU options. Very likely the Studio won't get the M3 at all until Apple releases an M3 Ultra. So, not any time soon, apparently.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
They are today! M1 Air @ $749 is probably the best bang-for-buck in all personal computing.
I'm not talking about entry level models, I am talking about deals like BH Photos 64 GB/4TB M1 Max 16 inch. That laptop is not gonna go obsolete anytime soon. That's a better bargain for many than the M3 if all they want is a bigger screen. By the time Apple starts phasing support, you probably could score a second hand M7 or M8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.