Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biko65

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Italy
I guess I'm not the only one asking this question right now: an hour ago, the doorbell rang and DHL delivered the MBA M3 24GB 1TB.
Just yesterday, we saw on the Apple event that the new iPad Pro already has the M4.

Do you think it's reasonable to expect that the M4 will soon be used in the new MBAs as well?

In short... since it's still in the box, should I return the MBA or are the new models not expected until the end of the year or later?

What would you do?:(

Tnx
Andy

• Haha
Reactions: kitKAC and krspkbl

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Keep what you have. If you continue to wait for the newest offered, you will wait for a very long time.

What you have is a really capable machine and will serve you well for many years to come. The M4 will not be a substantial upgrade. In fact, depending on your use, the M4 may not be a noticeable upgrade at all.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I reckon the Mac’s that were updated last year with M2/3 will be the first to get updated with M4 this year.

That is, the Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Studio (and maybe the Mac Pro).

As the MacBook Air didn’t get updated to M3 until just a couple of months ago, it’s not likely to get the M4 until next year.

In the unlikely event it is updated this year with M4, it won’t be until the last quarter of this year - Apple updating the MacBook twice in one year isn’t unprecedented (see: 2020 MBA & last years M3 MBP) but it doesn’t happen that often and it’s usually in atypical circumstances. For example with the 2020 MBA it was the transition to Apple silicon, and last years M2 MBP’s (14 & 16-inch) were originally intended to be released in 2022.

Last edited:

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
No one knows when the MBA with M4 comes. I think you can get the M3 cause the M4 is not the Apple AI chip. So big NPU improvement with 32 cores comes after M4.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'd bet sooner rather than later, like in 6-9 months. Last quarter showed Mac sales revenue weren't glowing and grew only 1% YoY.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I'd bet sooner rather than later, like in 6-9 months. Last quarter showed Mac sales revenue weren't glowing and grew only 1% YoY.
Apple can also generate new buyers in dropping support for older Macs for next MacOS.

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
I guess I'm not the only one asking this question right now: an hour ago, the doorbell rang and DHL delivered the MBA M3 24GB 1TB.
Just yesterday, we saw on the Apple event that the new iPad Pro already has the M4.

Do you think it's reasonable to expect that the M4 will soon be used in the new MBAs as well?

In short... since it's still in the box, should I return the MBA or are the new models not expected until the end of the year or later?

What would you do?:(

Tnx
Andy
If you can wait, I would. The questions that will be answered at the WWDC in June are worth waiting for. I was about to buy a MB air too, but then the IPAD pro came out and honestly, I may just go that route with the keyboard and pencil as its pretty cool and that screen! For me, I could get away with using the IPAD pro as a notebook, though I would rather have a MacBook. I am waiting to hear about what the iPads OS will be like. I would also be pretty upset if the next MacBooks have M4's with OLEDS. Thats a difference worth waiting for , if you can.

X-

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
I reckon the Mac’s that were updated last year with M2/3 will be the first to get updated with M4 this year.

That is, the Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Studio (and maybe the Mac Pro).

As the MacBook Air didn’t get updated to M3 until just a couple of months ago, it’s not likely to get the M4 until next year.

In the unlikely event it is updated this year with M4, it won’t be until the last quarter of this year - Apple updating the MacBook twice in one year isn’t unprecedented (see: 2020 MBA & last years M3 MBP) but it doesn’t happen that often and it’s usually in atypical circumstances. For example with the 2020 MBA it was the transition to Apple silicon, and last years M2 MBP’s (14 & 16-inch) were originally intended to be released in 2022.

But do you think Apple can get away with MacBooks NOT having OLED after this iPad Pro release? I agree that it will most likely be MacBook Pros that get the goodies, but screens sell, and everyone is going to be wanting the OLED after seeing it in person. If they improve iPad OS to the point of it being even more capable as a notebook, then what will become of MB AIR?

X-

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
any big difference in term of hardware M3 vs M4? I think just the Tandem OLED display engine which is irrelevant to MBA.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Air is not the Pro. The MBA was only just updated to M3 so you have a minimum wait for the remainder of this year before a refresh. Pros will get M4 first.

Keep what you have and get busy.😉

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Apple can also generate new buyers in dropping support for older Macs for next MacOS.
Support for M1/M2/M3 will last for a long time. The last thing people should be worried about is lack of macOS support for Apple Silicon.

The iPad Air 2 got 8 generations of "new" OS support. Eight generations (or more!) for Apple Silicon is not unrealistic. That would be whatever macOS gets released in Fall 2028.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
The general rumour is the M4 MBA won't be released until early 2025… can you wait that long or have another Mac to use or is it for work?

Your new MBA is a beast! Enjoy it for years - there will always be something new every year.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The M3 MacBook Air wasn't released until March 2024, so I'd say the MacBook Pro's & Mac Studio/Mini are likely to get a M4 refresh around June at the earliest with the MacBook Air to follow much, much later. Perhaps even as late as Q1/Q2 2025.

Of course Apple could do something unprecedented and refresh the Air twice in a year, but that's highly unlikely.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
The M3 MacBook Air wasn't released until March 2024, so I'd say the MacBook Pro's & Mac Studio/Mini are likely to get a M4 refresh around June at the earliest with the MacBook Air to follow much, much later. Perhaps even as late as Q1/Q2 2025.

Of course Apple could do something unprecedented and refresh the Air twice in a year, but that's highly unlikely.
We had two MacBook Air releases in 2020, but yeah I don't expect an M4 Air this year.

Reactions: Saturn007

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
We had two MacBook Air releases in 2020, but yeah I don't expect an M4 Air this year.
That was understandable as it was long overdue for a refresh so had an Intel update in March 2020, then the MacBook Air was the first wave of Macs launched with M1 Apple Silicon late in the year with the Intel model still on sale side-by-side. Aside from that architecture change, twice annual refreshes are unheard of for the Air.

Reactions: kitKAC

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Of course Apple could do something unprecedented
...like releasing an iPad Pro with the latest, fastest M-series chip before it appears in any Mac?

There were rumours that Apple would update the entire Mac line to M4 over the course of the coming year. Only a rumour but the iPad skipping M3 would be consistent with that. Plus the lack of a M3 Ultra and the no-show of M3 Minis. Plus the possibility that the M4 fixes the widely-publicised security vulnerability in Apple Silicon (haven't seen that confirmed yet) - and, of course, M3 was manufactured using V1.0 of the "3nm" process, which might make it short-lived.

None of that proves anything, but a rapid M4 rollout is at least plausible - but I wouldn't rush to buy a M3 right now unless the need was urgent. OTOH, if I already had one, I wouldn't panic!

Reactions: Saturn007

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The M3 MBA is only 2 months old!
Sure, return it. Wait probably another 10 months until the M4 makes its way to the MBA, buy one of those, then return it and wait for the impending M5 version when they show off that chip a couple of months later.

• Haha
Reactions: kitKAC and geta

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
M4 Air isn't coming out until next Spring and it won't be much faster than M3. If it was then Apple would've compared it to M3 instead of M2.

As it stands, the M3 Air is the fastest MBA ever right now and will continue to be until next year. The iPad Pro might have an M4 but it's not going to make full use of it. Spoiler: an M3 or M4 air won't make full use of the chips either.

If you need the laptop now then keep it. If you are just buying it for a laugh and don't really need it then return it and wait until 2025. Actually why bother waiting for M4 when you can just wait for M5. Sorry.... I mean M6 :rolleyes:

arcite

macrumors 6502a
The M3 MBA is only 2 months old!
Sure, return it. Wait probably another 10 months until the M4 makes its way to the MBA, buy one of those, then return it and wait for the impending M5 version when they show off that chip a couple of months later.

This is peak ‘first world problems’ :rolleyes:
When people buy something online, get it delivered….then ‘return’ it, often it’ll become ‘open box’ and even possibly unsellable, thus adding to ewaste problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.