Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
My work offers a laptop upgrade program, which heavily subsidizes the laptop cost for the employees. The eligibility cycle is every 4 years and it happens to be my year. I will have an option to get a base 14 inch M3 with 8gb RAM, 512gb ssd and my contribution would be $500. Wondering if it’s worth sitting out a year and waiting for the M4 seeing as it offers a significant step up in performance. Apple could also make other improvements but I‘m skeptical since they seem happy to pack new chips in existing form factors and call it a day. The down side to waiting is that it will delay my update cycle so I’d wait possibly 5 years from now until the next upgrade. For reference, I’m currently using a 2020 Macbook Pro 512gb ssd, 16GB RAM, CPU 2.0GHz Quad-core 10th Gen i5. It’s no M series but handles my day to day work just fine. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Cape Dave

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
Upgrade now. That is too long to wait.

I could wait another year and upgrade to whatever MacBook Pro Apple is selling in June of 2025. But it will push me back in the upgrade cycle so my next update after that would be in 2029.

Reactions: Cape Dave

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
Could be worth waiting for M4 with fingers crossed that even the base MBP comes with 16 GB RAM minimum.
True. I wonder if the public ridicule of 8GB on the base model will ever prompt a change. Was also hoping for Face ID in the notch although that could be a dream.

Reactions: Scarrus

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
with recent rumors of the dynamic island getting smaller, i can't help but feel the notches are going away in the macbooks. eventually. i think i'm going to hold out for that. if i were the op, i would take advantage of the subsidy now.

Reactions: supergt

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My work offers a laptop upgrade program, which heavily subsidizes the laptop cost for the employees. The eligibility cycle is every 4 years and it happens to be my year. I will have an option to get a base 14 inch M3 with 8gb RAM, 512gb ssd and my contribution would be $500. Wondering if it’s worth sitting out a year and waiting for the M4 seeing as it offers a significant step up in performance. Apple could also make other improvements but I‘m skeptical since they seem happy to pack new chips in existing form factors and call it a day. The down side to waiting is that it will delay my update cycle so I’d wait possibly 5 years from now until the next upgrade. For reference, I’m currently using a 2020 Macbook Pro 512gb ssd, 16GB RAM, CPU 2.0GHz Quad-core 10th Gen i5. It’s no M series but handles my day to day work just fine. Any thoughts?
Are you able to get a higher spec machine and stay within a reasonable contribution level?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There will always be something better if you willing to wait. If you need something now, just get it.

This. When there IS a M4 MB... we'll be talking about M5 in many threads. And the digits in OPs title will be incremented by 1... and then posted as new threads by 5 or 10 other people until M5 hits... at which point, we'll be talking about M6.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Could be worth waiting for M4 with fingers crossed that even the base MBP comes with 16 GB RAM minimum.

It will come with 12 GB base.

If you have a machine you can use in the interim (I.e., this is a want rather than a productivity requirement), I'd wait until the M4 Macs. They're probably only 4-5 months away. Otherwise I can see buyers remorse in your future.

If you do not have a machine you can use in the interim - buy today. There's ALWAYS something coming down the pipe, and holding off because something new is coming will just mean you miss out on getting things done with a machine TODAY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I could wait another year and upgrade to whatever MacBook Pro Apple is selling in June of 2025. But it will push me back in the upgrade cycle so my next update after that would be in 2029.

Are you saying you need to do this right now or wait another full year? I'd be shocked if the laptops aren't updated with the M4 series this fall, possibly sooner.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
If you need a new machine now, buy it now. How many people have workflows that can tell the difference between the various iterations of the M series processors (very few but they are the ones trying to convince you to get the biggest, latest and fastest machine). When the M4 comes out, you will be waiting for the M5 etc. Stop the madness. If your current machine does not meet your requirements buy the one that currently meets your needs. Waiting for the next iteration is a waste of your time. If your current machine works and it meets your needs stick with it. If you are hoping for better trade values, forget that. Apple are depreciating machines faster every time they take a breath. Apple machines are becoming like Windows machines, worthless once a new version comes out.

mblm85

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Sheffield, UK
In your situation, I would upgrade to the M3 spec you mentioned. Even if you have to contribute more for the extra RAM, you're talking about a M3 14" Pro with 16GB and 512 storage for only $700. That's a steal! You're going to notice far more performance boost from the move to Apple Silicon than anything else.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
M3 now or wait for M4? I’m currently using a 2020 Macbook Pro 512gb ssd, 16GB RAM, CPU 2.0GHz Quad-core 10th Gen i5. It’s no M series but handles my day to day work just fine. Any thoughts?
The difference between M3 and M4 is not important here.

Reactions: supergt

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Thanks all! Seems like M3 with additional memory is the play.

Absolutely if it's required to get it right now or wait a full year. The change in performance compared to what you have now is insane - literally 3x the speed (GB 4k vs 12k), and what you'd get in a year from now will only be around a 20-30% bump from what you can get now. 300% vs 30%, no brainer.

It was shocking for me coming from a maxed 16" Intel i9 to a 14" base M1 Pro and you will end up getting about twice that difference. I only upgraded to an M3 Max as performance was roughly doubled again, which seems like a lot, but it still is nothing close to that initial perceptible difference felt transitioning off of Intel. Apparent speed, battery life, heat, etc.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Absolutely if it's required to get it right now or wait a full year. The change in performance compared to what you have now is insane - literally 3x the speed (GB 4k vs 12k), and what you'd get in a year from now will only be around a 20-30% bump from what you can get now. 300% vs 30%, no brainer.

It was shocking for me coming from a maxed 16" Intel i9 to a 14" base M1 Pro and you will end up getting about twice that difference. I only upgraded to an M3 Max as performance was roughly doubled again, which seems like a lot, but it still is nothing close to that initial perceptible difference felt transitioning off of Intel. Apparent speed, battery life, heat, etc.
I've gone from a 16" Intel i9 2.3 to a 16" 16/40 M3 Max. The silence and battery life alone was worth it before you get to performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.