Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I am running a 2017 iPad Pro which, to be honest runs everything I need, although stalls slightly occasionally. The battery life is poor, but keeping it on charge is fine for my use case. I use it daily and got rid of my laptop when the iPad 2, then iPad Air became my primary non-work devices.

I have heard of the M1-3 security flaw. As a normal consumer user, should this security issue stop me from buying the new iPad Pro, or is this more of a problem for high value targets?

I am on the border on if I upgrade this time, or hold off another year.

cpatrick08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
I am running a 2017 iPad Pro which, to be honest runs everything I need, although stalls slightly occasionally. The battery life is poor, but keeping it on charge is fine for my use case. I use it daily and got rid of my laptop when the iPad 2, then iPad Air became my primary non-work devices.

I have heard of the M1-3 security flaw. As a normal consumer user, should this security issue stop me from buying the new iPad Pro, or is this more of a problem for high value targets?

I am on the border on if I upgrade this time, or hold off another year.
It's rumored to be the M4 chip in the new iPad Pros.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I would think not. Real-world risk is low. The attack vector is specific (only during cryptographic operations) and requires the attacker to fool the user to install untrusted software. Also, I've read the flaw could be mitigated via software but will incur a performance penalty during cryptographic operations. Nerd talk aside, I think you're safe.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I would think not. Real-world risk is low. The attack vector is specific (only during cryptographic operations) and requires the attacker to fool the user to install untrusted software. Also, I've read the flaw could be mitigated via software but will incur a performance penalty during cryptographic operations. Nerd talk aside, I think you're safe.
That’s helpful thanks. I guess it will come down to how good an update it is.

Reactions: hovscorpion12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.