Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Looking at this side by side comparison of IPP with magic keyboard, you can clearly see that the reach from the trackpad where you might rest your hand is quite a distance from the screen - significant increase from previous model.

This was the no.1 reason I returned the keyboard last time in favour of Smart Keyboard Folio. Smart Keyboard Folio Just makes it much more comfortable if slouching on the couch for instance casually browsing but still wanting a physical keyboard.

I really want to upgrade from my 2018 Pro but this is going to be my biggest issue no doubt! Will it take a leap of faith to just trust the process and live with it?

1715672455444.png

Reactions: Digitalguy

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The obvious cause of iPad being even further away is because of the added function key row, which Previous Magic Keyboard folio lacks. That’s where the trackpad comes into play, which is also bigger than previous generation, further pushing the iPad back.
You are encouraged to use your trackpad as a touch alternative while you are using keyboard accessories. I usually just take my iPad off the keyboard folio if I need intensive touch use, and put it back when I need the keyboard.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
That’s what I’m going to do. Use it as apple intended. The other issue though is I have ordered 13 inch up from 11 so this is going to be a huge change

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Doesn’t the trackpad negate the need for touch though? And then you remove the iPad from the case when you want to use it with touch

Reactions: Slix

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
You’re using it wrong if you have A trackpad and still touching the screen. Good grief.
:D

Well the problem with the trackpad is you have to move a cursor which is a slower navigation method.

And everyone saying you can undock to use it for touch, well then you gotta hold it too! And then you want to type again to dock again? Sounds like faff!

I am going to try this out because my 2018 is getting so slow now!

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
:D

Well the problem with the trackpad is you have to move a cursor which is a slower navigation method.

And everyone saying you can undock to use it for touch, well then you gotta hold it too! And then you want to type again to dock again? Sounds like faff!

I am going to try this out because my 2018 is getting so slow now!
But then you don’t want a trackpad at all, so just use a keyboard case without one, or a folio and a separate Bluetooth keyboard as needed?

Reactions: ZombiePete

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Well of course it is. They had to reengineer the entire thing to fit the function keys and larger trackpad. It was wasted space before anyways.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
It's indeed further away, now that's not an issue for me in normal use, but I could see it be even more cumbersome (the 13") on a flight in economy class.

I think I'll get the folio for when I travel. Anyone have any experiences with it? Does it fit better on a flight tray table?

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
This is the first time using a Magic Keyboard for me and I was concerned about this as well, but now that I have it I am totally fine with it. Using the trackpad is really intuitive and works great. Really feels like using a MacBook with an amazing screen. 🤩 I increased the cursor speed and now it‘s really quick but still precise. Could not be happier!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
are you getting the Apple Pencil? when using the Magic Keyboard only time I touched the screen was with the apple pencil. which for me is more ideal.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
This is the first time using a Magic Keyboard for me and I was concerned about this as well, but now that I have it I am totally fine with it. Using the trackpad is really intuitive and works great. Really feels like using a MacBook with an amazing screen. 🤩 I increased the cursor speed and now it‘s really quick but still precise. Could not be happier!
Well i am on day 3 although i have not used it tons yet. However i am amazed how good the keyboard and trackpad are. It feels natural using the trackpad and also occasionally the screen. I too increased cursor speed, turned on tap to click and turned off how the cursor snaps to app icons etc. The only buggy thing i have noticed is its tricky to access control centre especially when viewing video full screen.

i have found the 13 inch similar to balancing the 11 inch on my lap on the sofa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.