Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay_Wilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
http://www.macpower.com.tw/news/2005/04/25/948

M9 - Mac Mini Pod

Macpower & Tytech Technology Co., Ltd. has long been well respected by Apple users for its unique smart storage solutions and USB/Firewire external enclosures. Macpower has furthered its commitment to support Mac users with the launch of its new M9. The M9 is a new external disk drive enclosure which also has a built in port replicator. It was created specifically to complement.

Technical Specifications:

3 USB 2.0 High Speed Ports (Hub)
3 Firewire Ports
Interactive Cooling System (Heat Sink & Auto Sensing Smart Fan)
Supports any 3.5" Hard Drive (ATA 6 Compatible)
External Power Adapter

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Is it me or the ports are exactly the same as the miniMate?

I'm taking a wild guess as to where miniMate's pcboards are being made. :rolleyes:

No forward ports, only 3 USB ports, only 2 FireWire ports... Bleh.

At least they don't include a HD (which is good for switchers like me)!

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Will this be available in the US I wonder?

I don't think I'd want another fan on my desk...but perhaps you can use more than one drive since it has a fan.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yvan256 said:
Is it me or the ports are exactly the same as the miniMate?
Lookes the same to me.

I'm taking a wild guess as to where miniMate's pcboards are being made. :rolleyes:
Seems like it. The powerswitch is different and so is some cosmetic details on the case. But then again those are things that manufacturers would change for things like that.

No forward ports, only 3 USB ports, only 2 FireWire ports... Bleh.
Yeah, maybe on the next revision, but still a good start.

At least they don't include a HD (which is good for switchers like me)!
Besides, who wants to pay the high price of the integrated disk that the MiniMate has? If MicroNet had the miniMate available without a disk I would be thinking about getting it and I don't even have a MacMini.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Bear said:
Lookes the same to me.

Seems like it, however, the powerswitch is different and so is some cosmetic details on the case.

Yeah, maybe on the next revision, but still a good start.

Besides, who wants to pay the high price of the integrated disk that the MiniMate has?

The powerswitch and casing may look different but I was referring to the actual pcboard inside (since the connectors have the same positions).

Meh, so far we've got THREE "Mac mini hubs" and they either don't match (PlasticSmith, though seven USB 2.0 ports is the right path but lacks FireWire and HD) or are too limited (not enough ports on the miniMate and M9).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yvan256 said:
Meh, so far we've got THREE "Mac mini hubs" and they either don't match (PlasticSmith, though seven USB 2.0 ports is the right path but lacks FireWire and HD) or are too limited (not enough ports on the miniMate and M9).
And the PlasticSmith one is just a USB hub placed under an acrylic cover.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Yvan256 said:
The powerswitch and casing may look different but I was referring to the actual pcboard inside (since the connectors have the same positions).

I cna't speak for anyone else of course, but two extra usb ports and one extra fw port are fine with me if the device is a FW drive as well. I ordered a miniMate the day they were announced. I only need to be able to hookup my printer, scanner, and Tascam mixer/recorder to USB, and my iPod to FW. I think with all of the bluetooth mice and keyboards out there these days, the need for so many usb ports will diminish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.