Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Roger that. Lots of info, names and variables thrown around here 😂

Yes 😂

I'll try to consolidate the instructions since they're dug in different pages now

So basically things you'll need for 4k120 RGB 10bit
  1. Cable Matters Adapter with VMM6100 (Should have VMM6100, if not you may need to order another one)
  2. HDMI 2.1 Certified cable
  3. Windows PC with USB-C DP capabilities. Using Parallels will not work but using bootcamp on an Intel mac should.
  4. Cable Matters update tool to upgrade/downgrade firmware
  5. BetterDisplay to extract/apply Custom EDID.
  6. AW EDID Editor to modify EDID

Steps
  1. Update the HDMI type to "PC" on your LG OLED to whichever port you are going to use. Also enable HDMI Ultra HD Color mode
  2. Plug in cable matters adapter to a USB C port that supports DP on your Windows PC. The HDMI cable connected to the adapter will need to be connected to a tv/monitor for the next step.
  3. Launch update tool and verify you have VMM6100. If you do not have VMM6100, you'll need another adapter. Follow steps on the Cable matters firmware page linked above but use the firmware "VMM61004k120hzRGB-Fullrom.zip" (extract first) located in this post instead.
    1. (Optional) - Make backup of your firmware first or you can restore the latest one from the update tool page.
  4. Once it's completed flashing, unplug and replug the adapter to verify your new firmware version.
  5. Plug the adapter back in your mac and follow the steps here to apply Custom EDID.
  6. Profit!
Credits
  • @AironMan - Testing numerous adapters/docks
  • @stevemr123 - BetterDisplay with override EDID functionality
  • @joevt - in-depth knowledge USB C protocols, firmware, and devices
  • @Alan Spiegel - Reported RGB 10bit working and provided initial EDID info
  • @hPandaa1 - uploaded Cable matters firmware where RGB 10bit works
Sorry if I missed someone or information so please feel to correct and I'll update this post.

Think I'll consolidate the information with more screenshots on my github here

Last edited:

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
Love it thank you. Perhaps the author of this thread can add the info to the 1st post?

Otherwise we could start a new thread to continue this conversation... it will prevent a lot of confusion if we use the updated into in the first post.

Toss4

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2021
How are you guys handling sleep/wake ups? My M1 Max often loses the connection after waking up or going to sleep and then I have to manually adjust everything again, even after applying all config-protection settings in BetterDisplay. :/

Would be great if we could have some saved setups in BetterDisplay that we could switch between by just using keyboard-shortcuts.

Reactions: garuspl

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
How are you guys handling sleep/wake ups? My M1 Max often loses the connection after waking up or going to sleep and then I have to manually adjust everything again, even after applying all config-protection settings in BetterDisplay. :/

Would be great if we could have some saved setups in BetterDisplay that we could switch between by just using keyboard-shortcuts.

This is the reason and how it can be prevented: https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/1575

simonix

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2020
**** you apple. I have a M1 MacBook Pro and a Lenovo ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock. 2019 16" MBP gave 4k120hz straight, but with this M1 mac I had to order the anker usb-c-hdmi adapter and use the custom firmware someone posted on this thread. Now I can get 4k120hz through the dock + adapter. No need for custom edid things.

Attachments

• IMG_8263.jpg
    IMG_8263.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 182

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
**** you apple. I have a M1 MacBook Pro and a Lenovo ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock. 2019 16" MBP gave 4k120hz straight, but with this M1 mac I had to order the anker usb-c-hdmi adapter and use the custom firmware someone posted on this thread. Now I can get 4k120hz through the dock + adapter. No need for custom edid things.
I feel ya. It is super ridculous and feels like an artificial feature block. That or a tremendously stupid oversight by Apple. I don't even know which one is worse...

Glad you got what you're looking for.

Reactions: Malus120

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Last edited:

Technotron

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2023
@AironMan I suggest you post a NEW thread, something like "4k/120Hz RGB finally possible on M1 Macs via USB-C/Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.1"

This is so people aren't thrown into an ongoing discussion. We can then still post new findings AND update the first post of that thread with updates.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
@AironMan I suggest you post a NEW thread, something like "4k/120Hz RGB finally possible on M1 Macs via USB-C/Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.1"

This is so people aren't thrown into an ongoing discussion. We can then still post new findings AND update the first post of that thread with updates.
Its

USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4 to HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz RGB4:4:4 10b HDR with Apple Silicon M1/M2 now possible !​

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Why didn't you just use the DisplayPort input the monitor has with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

You could have had 4K@144Hz 10-bit RGB all this time 🤷🏼‍♂️

simonix

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Why didn't you just use the DisplayPort input the monitor has with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

You could have had 4K@144Hz 10-bit RGB all this time 🤷🏼‍♂️
Because DP is for my gaming rig to get 4k144hz, and I want to use my Lenovo dock to get 1-cable docking.

Avocadoco

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
I will just have to wait for the firmware update for vm7100 hopefully coming soon. I ordered 8 different adapters (4 cable matters, 4 Anker) and all VM7100. :(

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
I will just have to wait for the firmware update for vm7100 hopefully coming soon. I ordered 8 different adapters (4 cable matters, 4 Anker) and all VM7100. :(
Why did u buy 4 Anker? The Anker has only VMM7100. U need VMM6100. U need CM

Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C auf HDMI 2.1 Adapter (USB C HDMI Adapter) für 4K 120Hz und 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3, USB4, Thunderbolt 4 Port kompatibel - Maximale Auflösung auf jedem Mac beträgt 4K 60Hz https://amzn.eu/d/8YTBsNC

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who made this possible!
It cost more than it should have and was a PITA (getting Windows onto an older Mac with USB-C) but it finally, ****ing works!
Strangely I couldn't get my own edited EDID to work. The EDID posted here worked just fine though
Hopefully this is a C2 EDID LOL (I'll do a post mortem tomorrow and see if I can figure out why my own edited EDID wasn't working and report back)

Reactions: Technotron

Avocadoco

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
Why did u buy 4 Anker? The Anker has only VMM7100. U need VMM6100. U need CM

Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C auf HDMI 2.1 Adapter (USB C HDMI Adapter) für 4K 120Hz und 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3, USB4, Thunderbolt 4 Port kompatibel - Maximale Auflösung auf jedem Mac beträgt 4K 60Hz https://amzn.eu/d/8YTBsNC
Oops. 😅 I thought I read anker could have the firmware. Even though, I feel like Amazon is going to ban me for already buying 4 cms.

Hopefully CM responds with a firmware soon.

PatricioooAG

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
Comunidad Valenciana. España
Yes 😂

I'll try to consolidate the instructions since they're dug in different pages now

So basically things you'll need for 4k120 RGB 10bit
  1. Cable Matters Adapter with VMM6100 (Should have VMM6100, if not you may need to order another one)
  2. HDMI 2.1 Certified cable
  3. Windows PC with USB-C DP capabilities. Using Parallels will not work but using bootcamp on an Intel mac should.
  4. Cable Matters update tool to upgrade/downgrade firmware
  5. BetterDisplay to extract/apply Custom EDID.
  6. AW EDID Editor to modify EDID

Steps
  1. Update the HDMI type to "PC" on your LG OLED to whichever port you are going to use. Also enable HDMI Ultra HD Color mode
  2. Plug in cable matters adapter to a USB C port that supports DP on your Windows PC. The HDMI cable connected to the adapter will need to be connected to a tv/monitor for the next step.
  3. Launch update tool and verify you have VMM6100. If you do not have VMM6100, you'll need another adapter. Follow steps on the Cable matters firmware page linked above but use the firmware "VMM61004k120hzRGB-Fullrom.zip" (extract first) located in this post instead.
    1. (Optional) - Make backup of your firmware first or you can restore the latest one from the update tool page.
  4. Once it's completed flashing, unplug and replug the adapter to verify your new firmware version.
  5. Plug the adapter back in your mac and follow the steps here to apply Custom EDID.
  6. Profit!
Credits
  • @AironMan - Testing numerous adapters/docks
  • @stevemr123 - BetterDisplay with override EDID functionality
  • @joevt - in-depth knowledge USB C protocols, firmware, and devices
  • @Alan Spiegel - Reported RGB 10bit working and provided initial EDID info
  • @hPandaa1 - uploaded Cable matters firmware where RGB 10bit works
Sorry if I missed someone or information so please feel to correct and I'll update this post.

Think I'll consolidate the information with more screenshots on my github here
Thanks so much. Finally it’s working 4K 100hz 444 10b rgb. I apreciarte it a lot. 2 years reading this Thread.

Reactions: Djlild7hina
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.