Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for answering. Well I've redid all the work, re-balled all the RAM chips, re-set the resistor jumpers and it still beeps 3 times.
Can I take RAM chips from 2015/2017 MacBook Air models?
Yep, you can use chips from 2015/2017 MBA no problem.

overshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2018
Well unfortunately with different RAM chips, Micron this time, I got the same 3 beeps.
I've checked and rechecked the jumper resistors, trying different combinations but no cigar.
I guess, after too many soldering attempt, I've messed up with something, possibly too much heat for the CPU or else.
Anyhow, I've spent enough time on that board and need to move on.
RIP little MacMini and thank you Dosdude for your help.

Dudul Mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
France
I do, and have done quite a few machines for people at this point (including MacBook Airs and others). Just send me a PM.
I saw your video on Youtube. It's fantastic what you do !
Do you always provide this service for soldering RAM ? I have a Mac Mini 2014 with 4GB. I have some projects with it, but due to the 4GB RAM, I can't use it.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I do, and have done quite a few machines for people at this point (including MacBook Airs and others). Just send me a PM.
I am also interested in your update RAM services for two 2014 4MB RAM Mac Minis that I just purchased. I sent you a PM.

UPDATE: I found your website and email from your YouTube video and sent you an email.

Last edited:

mnq_mbrg

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
Hello everyone,

I've got the ram chips changed on my macbook air (from 8gb to 16gb, from the same manufacturer as Elpida) but now I need to find the right 16GB strap config according to the logic board model. I've got a macbook air a1466 2017, 2,2 ghz, dual-core i7. Board number 820-00165-A. Does anyone know how to figure that out?

Last edited:

andryshik

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
I use Elpida EDFB232A1MA-GD-F chips for these machines. They are readily available from various sellers on AliExpress.
Hi!

Now I can find only EDFB232A1MA-JD-F on Aliexpress for reasonable price. As far as I know these chips have different clock speed, 933MHz (GD-F is 800Mhz). Do you think it will fit?

Thank you!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hi!

Now I can find only EDFB232A1MA-JD-F on Aliexpress for reasonable price. As far as I know these chips have different clock speed, 933MHz (GD-F is 800Mhz). Do you think it will fit?

Thank you!
That'll work just fine as well, the JD-F supports up to 1866 MHz, but the 2014 Mac Mini will only run them at 1600 MHz.

Reactions: andryshik

Mabu_1970

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Chur
Hi, Where can i find Elpida EDFB232A1MA-GD-F to Upgrade the macmini Late 2014 RAM? Can you send me a link? Kind regards

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hi, Where can i find Elpida EDFB232A1MA-GD-F to Upgrade the macmini Late 2014 RAM? Can you send me a link? Kind regards
They can be found from many sellers on AliExpress. Just search there and you will find some for sale.

Mabu_1970

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Chur
Thank you for your anwswer, is this correct? Can i solder that Kind of Chip to my machine (Mac mini Late 2014 A1347) ?

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 32

gjvdh

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2024
I do believe that High signals should be 100k to Vcc and low 10k to ground. 100k to Vcc probably to keep the overall current down. and 10k to ground to prevent shorts from doing more bad things. Based on the schematics I found on the badcaps forum. Not values are not that critical though, it's just to tie to ground of Vcc.

I did work, after the second attempt. I had the three beeps, but than I saw the last IC was slightly off. I didn't got it hot enough I think. Reheated it and voilà it worked.

Things I learned:
Good to take a picture on forehand
Next time I would have marked the board somehow, to realign the IC's ( I marked the part of the metal shield that's on the board with the perimeter of the pads to align it and used pictures magnified on the screen)

Hardest part:
The hardest thing is soldering the tiny tiny 0201 strapping resistors. Do not attempt this without a proper magnification. Check first before attempting this. I'm past the age one can see without glasses... But still, very tiny.

I had a lot of fun and now have 16 gigs instead of 8 hurray! It also has a SSD drive, which is very easy to retrofit as a second drive with an adapter board. I'm running Linux though, not mac os on this machine and it runs very smoothly.

Thanks everybody

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.