Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnfahy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
I have a ten year old Trash Can Mac Pro, the base model but with 32Gb Ram. If I buy the base model Mac Studio (M2 Max, 12 core, 32, 512) will I see a huge performance increase?? I use it for photo editing with Photoshop and Capture One. I would work on some large photoshop files (stitched panoramas from a high res camera, etc), a bit of video editing and general day to day tasks.
Just advice on the base model please, can't afford a higher spec!!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
I use an M1 iMac for exactly those kind of tasks, and it's absolutely fine (even with 'just' 16GB memory). So unless you're doing massive compositions for billboards or summat, or wanting to produce 6k+ video content than that, a Mac Mini would probably suffice. You'd enjoy the performance increase, and you'd save a lot of money too.

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
I have a ten year old Trash Can Mac Pro, the base model but with 32Gb Ram. If I buy the base model Mac Studio (M2 Max, 12 core, 32, 512) will I see a huge performance increase?? I use it for photo editing with Photoshop and Capture One. I would work on some large photoshop files (stitched panoramas from a high res camera, etc), a bit of video editing and general day to day tasks.
Thanks in advance.
I recommend you get the 1TB SSD: it's twice as fast as the 512GB. :)

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
The base model Mac pro 2013 has a 744 single core geekbench score. The base M2 max Mac Studio has a value of 2803.

I think both Ps and capture one will fly as they are single core application. I think you will see a 4 time faster computer working, it’s a huge improvement.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Thanks in advance.

I have changed from Mac Pro 2012, 12-core, 3,33 GHz, 48 GB to a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 48-core GPU, 64 GB. On multicore the M1 Ultra is around 3x faster, on singlecore it is around 3,2x faster. I don’t have tested these apps, but anything is working faster on the M1 Ultra.

I also have a M1 Mac min with 16 GB RAM and for me the 16 GB are not enough for some stuff (AI for example).

Last edited:

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I own both MP 2012 (12-core, 64GB) and MP 2013 (6-core, 64GB); still, most of my daily work plus Photoshop and Parallels-run Windows 11 and Linux is being done on a base M1 Mini. M2 Studio should fly!

Despite of what Apple claims, lots of RAM makes a difference with serious work, thought.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Went from 12 core trash can to base M1 Max Studio. The difference is insane for video work. Photo you will see an improvement for sure but obviously less prominent.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
The base model Mac pro 2013 has a 744 single core geekbench score. The base M2 max Mac Studio has a value of 2803.
The M2 Pro Mac Mini has a score of about 2650 (10 or 12-cores) and is a much better value for money than the Studio IMO. And 512 SSD is more than fast enough (3000MB/s r/w). The faster 1TB - at these speeds you won't see a difference. Get cheaper Thunderbolt externals.

Last edited:

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Another vote to go for 1 TB SSD. Much faster speed (5500-6000 MB/s) and more storage capacity. Absolutely worth the money.
Keep in mind that the Studio has faster GPU than the Mac Mini Pro.

Last edited:

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Mac Studio is the best alternative. It got more ports than the iMac or Mac Mini models. That integrated memory card reader is a good plus too. There is also one more positive thing that iMac an Mini don't have, in case the internal SSD goes bad, it can be replaced by an authorized service provider. That thing can give a peace of mind if you are keeping the Studio as long as you kept the Trashcan Mac Pro.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
The M2 Pro Mac Mini has a score of about 2650 (10 or 12-cores) and is a much better value for money than the Studio IMO. And 512 SSD is more than fast enough (3000MB/s r/w). The faster 1TB - at these speeds you won't see a difference. Get cheaper Thunderbolt externals.
But the Studio has 2 dedicated engine for video and two engine for Prores and Prores RAW...They make a big difference in FCP work.

Also the studio come with base 32gb that double the mini pro. Speaking about price/equipment/performance I have no doubt that the studio is the choice.

I do a lot of photography and video work and the studio is the ideal machine in my case.
I have 512ssd and raid external drive.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
But the Studio has 2 dedicated engine for video and two engine for Prores and Prores RAW...They make a big difference in FCP work.

Also the studio come with base 32gb that double the mini pro. Speaking about price/equipment/performance I have no doubt that the studio is the choice.

I do a lot of photography and video work and the studio is the ideal machine in my case.
I have 512ssd and raid external drive.
I think those are very valid points actually. I would say though, as a more 'casual' user of video and audio etc software, that the M1 even is still way more than capable for my needs. If I were buying a brand new computer today, based on my experience with Intel and now the M1 machines, I still think an iMac or Mac Mini would be more than adequate for my personal needs. I could go and buy a Mac Studio, even the Ultra version, and be very happy with it I'm sure. But it would be vastly overkill for my actual needs, and cost a lot more money than I really need to spend. In terms of longevity; I'm sure the iMac will last me the 6 years or more that I intend to keep it for.

Reactions: CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
I think those are very valid points actually. I would say though, as a more 'casual' user of video and audio etc software, that the M1 even is still way more than capable for my needs. If I were buying a brand new computer today, based on my experience with Intel and now the M1 machines, I still think an iMac or Mac Mini would be more than adequate for my personal needs. I could go and buy a Mac Studio, even the Ultra version, and be very happy with it I'm sure. But it would be vastly overkill for my actual needs, and cost a lot more money than I really need to spend. In terms of longevity; I'm sure the iMac will last me the 6 years or more that I intend to keep it for.

Totally agree... I think that an M1 Max studio would be perfect... And at time of writing you can find one refurbished for the price of a base mini m2 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.