Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
Can someone help?

I use Sonnet Echo 3 and Firewire PCIe Card to connect to UAD Satellite and RME 800 using Firewire 800 port to Mac Studio M2 Ultra (OS Sonoma), However, only RME 800 works fine, and my UAD failed, it seems the driver was not accepted. Maybe there's a way, right?
Otherwise it's a real nightmare....

Can anyone help me?

Thank you

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can someone help?

I use Sonnet Echo 3 and Firewire PCIe Card to connect to UAD Satellite and RME 800 using Firewire 800 port to Mac Studio M2 Ultra (OS Sonoma), However, only RME 800 works fine, and my UAD failed, it seems the driver was not accepted. Maybe there's a way, right?
Otherwise it's a real nightmare....

Can anyone help me?

Thank you
Did you see UAD's page that states that UA doesn't support FireWire on Apple Silicon computers?
At the bottom of that page: "UA FireWire devices are incompatible with Apple silicon systems."
You might still give all of the installation steps a try anyway, but I do not think you'll be able to use the Satellite with a Mac Studio.

Also, you don't need a PCIe chassis to get FireWire connectivity on Thunderbolt Macs- you can buy the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter (now discontinued but easily available used and through 3rd party sellers.)

Nguyên Thành

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
Did you see UAD's page that states that UA doesn't support FireWire on Apple Silicon computers?
At the bottom of that page: "UA FireWire devices are incompatible with Apple silicon systems."
You might still give all of the installation steps a try anyway, but I do not think you'll be able to use the Satellite with a Mac Studio.

Also, you don't need a PCIe chassis to get FireWire connectivity on Thunderbolt Macs- you can buy the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter (now discontinued but easily available used and through 3rd party sellers.)
Thank you very much for your reply. I need the chassis because it also involves my Avid HDX sound card, and the SSD...

I also found out that UAD talked about this information. But I don't understand if UAD stopped supporting it, or Apple doesn't support this connection standard.

Thanks for all the discussion

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you very much for your reply. I need the chassis because it also involves my Avid HDX sound card, and the SSD...

I also found out that UAD talked about this information. But I don't understand if UAD stopped supporting it, or Apple doesn't support this connection standard.

Thanks for all the discussion
UAD stopped supporting it. FireWire in general still works on Apple Silicon.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You might also try looking at the "gearspace.com" web site.
That's where the "audio guys" hang out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.