Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Generally you have three potential timeframes:
  1. Spring Event - March 2024
  2. WWDC - June 2024
  3. Fall Event - October 2024
As someone who is planning to get a Mac Studio upon refresh I would very much appreciate March 2024, but if I had to place a bet I'd say WWDC 2024. As far as waiting, the M3 Max appears to be a sizable bump from the M2 Max, but if you had workflows that would truly benefit form that I believe you would already know. Personally, I'd just feel better waiting if I didn't need a new device since the new chipset has already been announced.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Looking forward to seeing how the M3 Ultra on the future Mac Studio fares with Blender and UE. I want to know what their hardware accelerated raytracing stuff is really made of.

I'm in the same situation as you. Bought a 27" iMac last December to develop iOS and Vision Pro apps with UE. The CPU is fine for learning Blender and UE, but the GPU is just barely adequate. The 5K monitor, however is an epiphany. But to develop apps I'll need the graphical performance of the Studio M3 Ultra. Now that UE is AS native and the M3 has hardware raytracing The Studio Ultra should be a great platform. I wonder if the Studio will drive the 57" Samsung Odyssey Neo G9?

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Glez

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
For the m ultra series of Mac’s, they could push the power draw higher since it’s not dependent on a battery and not limit it so technically better performance right for gpu/cpu?

Reactions: Harry Haller

Luis Glez

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
Looking forward to seeing how the M3 Ultra on the future Mac Studio fares with Blender and UE. I want to know what their hardware accelerated raytracing stuff is really made of.
Same here.

UE 5.3 runs pretty well on my M1 Max Studio, but I'm definitely looking forward to the M3 Ultra next year. With HW raytracing, full Nanite support and lots of CPU/GPU cores, it should be a great machine for developing games in UE.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Generally you have three potential timeframes:
  1. Spring Event - March 2024
  2. WWDC - June 2024
  3. Fall Event - October 2024
As someone who is planning to get a Mac Studio upon refresh I would very much appreciate March 2024, but if I had to place a bet I'd say WWDC 2024. As far as waiting, the M3 Max appears to be a sizable bump from the M2 Max, but if you had workflows that would truly benefit form that I believe you would already know. Personally, I'd just feel better waiting if I didn't need a new device since the new chipset has already been announced.
The problem I see with the M3 Max SKUs is that you have to choose the 40 GPU core model if you want the full 12P+4E core CPU AND you have to upgrade to 48GB RAM, which are another $500, even if you don’t especially need the better GPU and more RAM. Moreover, I expect the base SSD to be 1TB, which will probably increase the base price to at least $2399.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
While the initial benchmarks of the M3 Max look promising, it is the future M3 Mac Studio that most interests me, primarily for a combination of photo/video editing and some software development.

Can we assume that the binned and unbinned M3 Max base options will be identical to the MBP 16? i.e.
14c CPU / 30c GPU / 36GB / 1TB SSD
&
16c-CPU / 40c GPU / 48TB / 1TB SSD

Given this, will we also expect a price increase of at least $200 to allow for the larger base-model SSD (up from 512GB to 1TB)? I suspect it might be even more given the differential between M2 Max and M3 Max base models (M2 Max 12/30 core was $3299 with 1TB, vs M3 Max 14/30 core is $3499).

So do we expect the Studio M3 14/30 core with 1TB to be at least $2399? With the unbinned 16/40 core with 48GB SSD to be another $500 on top of this?

The unbinned M3 16/40 core is likely to have an even wider differential to the M2 Max, with the $500 differential between the default "high-end" M2 and M3 specification as per the MBP 16 (M2 Max 12/38 core with 1TB was $3,499, and M3 Max 16/40 is $3,999). Even if split the difference between the M2 Max price with 32GB and 64GB RAM (to get to the M3 Max high-end 48GB baseline RAM), it only takes $200 off the price, still leaving a $300 increase from M2 to M3.

It would not surprise me to see the cheapest Mac Studio increase to $2499.

I imagine that we will have to wait until M3 Ultra is ready before the M3 Studio will launch. What are the likely timelines? March/April, June (for WWDC) or even later?

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
This is probably the best case scenario for a 16/40 core, 48GB, 1 TB M3 Max Studio. Assuming +$300 for the unbinned M3, +$200 for the extra 16GB RAM, and +$200 for the upgrade to 1TB SSD.

However, the base MBP 16 with M3 Max, has increased by $200 over the M2 Max, even allowing for a hidden $200 upgrade for the new default 1TB SSD. Binned M2 Max started at $3099 with 512GB SSD, and the cheapest MBP 16 with M3 Max is now $3499, so that’s a $200 increase after taking the larger M3 SSD into account.

So $2899 would not surprise me for the cheapest unbinned M3 Max Studio.

Reactions: streetfunk

streetfunk

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023

So $2899 would not surprise me for the cheapest unbinned M3 Max Studio
Thanks ! @donth8 and @Fomalhaut. I start to see the picture.

ok, lets hope for an initial of $1999. (vs. US market)
plus "not higher" upmargins for RAM/SSD as seen in the M3-MBPs

vs. Time:
i´d not wonder if they release earlier than the M2 last year.
At least the M3base/proMini and M3Studio-max at the same time.

streetfunk

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
I think i´d put my bet on March as well. +- 1

wishful thinking: January-February.

edit: ahh, threads have been merged

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Apple seems committed to an annual release for the M-series family (the January 2023 MacBook Pros were supposed to be Fall 2022). Now that the M-series has caught up to the A-series iPhone chips (M1=A14, M2=A15, but M3=A17, so the M-series are now only a month and a half behind the iPhone), the initial release has to be in late fall. If they released any of "this year's" M chips ahead of the iPhone, it would give a preview of what the phone's going to be (which they won't do - the chip of the year HAS to come out in the iPhone first)...

Unless they go to an "all one day" release strategy, in which the Ultra comes out in October alongside the other three chips, they have a problem. There will be a time when the Mac Studio (and Mac Pro if they bother) are a year behind the laptops. Even in a year where the performance increase is only 10 or 15%, that's not great - and in a year like this one, when they added a bunch of performance cores and GPU features to the Max, they could be in the embarrassing situation where their fastest machine is a laptop.

If they release the Studio only a little behind the other machines (say January), they don't have a long time when the Studio is eclipsed (only a couple of months by the time the top MacBook Pros start reaching users' hands), but they end up releasing it only six or seven months after its predecessor this year (that's fixed in the future if it goes on an annual cycle). They also end up with a situation in which all the excitement is crammed into a small portion of the year, from the iPhone in September to the Ultra in January, and all they have to release from February through the summer is existing chips in more form factors. People will know exactly what the MacBook Air and the Mac Mini are going to be, since the base and Pro chips will already be out.

Maybe that's OK - it'll save WWDC for the software (and maybe some quickie press-release hardware that surprises nobody) - unless they have a new hardware category like Vision Pro or a car. They can use March unsurprising computers like the Mini and MacBook Air, iPads, headphones and the like. This leaves a lot of WWDCs with no notable hardware (unless they have a new category, or if something that is left for WWDC like the Mini or Air gets a redesign)

On the other hand, the Studio is an awfully appealing WWDC release. The developer community loves it, and a lot of creative pros also keep an eye on WWDC. The problem with making it a WWDC release is that it's then 8 or 9 months after the lesser chips, and in the one year in three or four when they add cores to the Max, that's most of the year when the Studio looks a little silly.

I don't know which they prefer - I was a little surprised at the late fall release of three chips, because it causes this problem.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

streetfunk

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
they could be in the embarrassing situation where their fastest machine is a laptop.
i´m not sure if this is a problem in 2023 ?
It might depend on the sales volume per the different mac formats ?

i can see how one could even make "this" a strategy.
I´d figure, thats even cool for the reputation.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
At this point, waiting on a M3 Ultra for the Studio. I hope the Ultra chips will be released along with the other M3 Studios. Timing is tough to place only because of the June '23 M2 update. I really wish they would sync all the chip updates across the product line. Would make thing so much easier.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Maybe Apple discontinues Mac Studio because it flopped and thats why it didn’t receive M3. Thoughts?

Sorry but this is hilarious. On what basis did you come to the conclusion that Mac Studio flopped or isn't getting M3 Max? Mac Studio gets M Max/Ultra always after MB Pros get it first. MBP got M1 Max in Oct 2021 and 5 months later Mac Studio was released with M1 Max/Ultra in March 2022.

MBP got M2 Max in Jan 2023 and 5 months later Mac Studio got M2 Max/Ultra in June 2022. Mac Studio M3 Max/Ultra will most likely come sometime in March-June 2024.

The first reason for MBP getting M Max first is that Apple sells mostly laptops so all the new chips go inside those first. The second reason is Apple have to/wants to wait until M Ultra is done so they can put Max/Ultra in Mac Studio at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.