Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
The new Mac Studio comes with a lot of power, but with it also comes a bit more noise.

It’s 25dB at idle which is as loud as the Mac Pro (rack mount). As it will tend to sit closer to the user than a Mac Pro would, which means it will be perceived to be louder as well.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 20.56.36.png

(More here: https://quietmac.netlify.app)

Because it employs smaller blower fans, they emit a more unpleasant noise vs larger fans. For example, with the Mac Pro, the large fans are quiet and smooth whereas the blower fan to cool the memory is louder and higher pitched.

Until there are real samples in the wild, it remains to be seen if it is unpleasant or not.

I hoped with moving from inefficient Intels to the super efficient Apple Silicon fan noise would be lower in the high-end desktop range, but It seems the design philosophy is to use a higher than needed fan speed, but less variability.

This equates to fans running faster than required so that when tasks that spike GPU and CPU usage it will tend to stay quieter rather than creating the more obvious noise of variable fan speeds.

Mine is arriving in April, so won’t be able to test before then.

But if you're looking for something super quiet, the Mac Studio won't beat the currently unbeaten (and unavailable) iMac Pro for top end desktops.

However, you will only notice this if you have a quiet office. People sharing offices or those with noise floors above 30/35dB, will not notice it at all. Also if you're not sensitive to low fan noise, it's not anything to particularly to worry about.

----

Post release update:​

It looks like my initial assessment is accurate - it's one of the loudest macs at idle.

Apple has designed a computer that exhausts say 150 watts of heat at idle, as opposed to say 60 watts of heat at idle. The upside to this is that the fans do not move much, the downside of this is we have fans that are going much faster than they need to be at idle.

It's more complicated than what I've put above about because a) I don't know how much thermal energy the fans are designed to blow out at idle b) it doesn't take into account the thermal energy store of heating up the heatsink. But the result is the same, a consistent fan speed at idle which has a large thermal buffer so it doesn't spin up and down often.

Is this going to be a problem for me?

It depends on the noise floor in your office. What is it? If it's above 30/35dB it will likely be "silent". If it's around 25dB, you will likely notice it. Use the decibel X app on your iPhone to measure sound (it's free, but doesn't appear so). I don't recommend you use the Apple watch, because it doesn't go below 30dB.

Also, if you do have a quiet office, you may not care about fan noise - many people do not.

For reference my office is as quiet as 24dB.

Why is this not a problem for most reviewers?

Many professional reviewers may work in offices with other people, the noise floor there is likely much louder than those who work from home. They also may not be sensitive to it.

Is the Mac Studio a "loud Mac"?

It is one of the loudest at idle, but the reviews show that is barely spins up during workloads and has excellent thermal properties. At idle, it will be almost as loud as a Mac Pro - and may be perceived to be louder as it's closer than a Mac Pro would usually sit - At load, it has excellent cooling and will tend to be quieter than many other Macs, including laptops.

----

Delivery update:​

My Mac Studio arrived today and as is expected, one of the loudest Macs at idle.

IMG_6567.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 21.57.45.png

Good:
  • The fan sound is more pleasant than the Mac Pro 2019 blower. It is much less annoying and doesn't feel like it's cramming buckets full of air every second. I think many people will be fine with it.
  • When forcing it to 1,100 RPM it is easy to tune out - It is still louder than an iMac Pro at 1,100 RPM.

Bad:
  • At the default 1,300 RPM it is more noticeable. It is not "silent"
  • It has a higher fan speed than is needed at idle. The fan speed is overkill at idle.
  • It's going to be hard to clean - Dust may be a problem in future.

Ugly:
  • It exhibits a whine at 2.14Kh. This tone varies a lot in terms of when it appears. It is annoying.
Overall, I would likely keep it if 1,100 was the default and it didn't exhibit the terrible whine. So maybe with a firmware update and the whine fixed, I'd buy it.

For now - I'm sending it back. I might wait to see if the iMac Pro makes a return next year.

2023 update:

The next generation M2 solves this issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...peed-lowered-from-1300rpm-to-1000rpm.2391615/

Last edited:

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
It's 25dB at idle, as a bel is 10x a decibel. I didn't want to add more complexity to the message, but I can see you guys have found the specs.

In reality the sound pressure at operator position is a non-standardised reading from wherever Apple defines the computer would sit - I would take the 15dB reading with a grain of salt and use the sound power level x 10. So 25dB.

I have an iMac Pro and it is significantly quieter than the Mac Pro (2019) I had. Even though in theory the iMac Pro was 13dB (at operator position) vs 11dB Mac Pro

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
How did the Power Mac G5 not make the list?

There are always trade offs when it comes to these things.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
The power Mac G5 was too old to be relevant.

There are tradeoffs I agree - Apple have chosen those tradeoffs to fit it inside the Mac mini plus form factor and desired fan profile. If they used a large single fan design like the Mac Pro 2013, it would be quieter (20dB).

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
You’re comparing Apples and oranges here and you’re both right. The lower dB is at operator position. The OP reports the measurements done right next to the machine. Sound pressure will decrease with distance squared.

Second I can see that apple uses different conditions for “wireless browsing” measurement. One is 25 popular websites- another is 8 tabs open with “media”.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
OMG 15db! 20dB! 25DB! The horror.....

Everyone realizes a ticking watch is 20db right?, Rustling leaves outside? 20db. BREATHING is 10dB...

This is a nonissue....
If this is used in a recording studio that noise is important. I will sometimes do overdubs with the mic just a few feet from my Mac. You don’t want any noise in that situation. So for some use cases it’s an issue. In office situations I agree. A non-issue. And generally I would say that one of my main reasons to use a Mac is the low noise compared to the PC world.

Still it’s interesting that they pushed it to a point where it’s louder than an intel based iMac.

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
My 16" intel i9 is very reasonably silent in idle or browsing the web. But it becomes a full blaster jet whenever I try to work with it (90% f the time).

The issue is not idle, the issue is when working hard. From what people wrote about the 14" mbp/m1 max, its fans almost never go full speed, so its a non issue.

I guess we have to wait a week to find out.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
If this is used in a recording studio that noise is important. I will sometimes do overdubs with the mic just a few feet from my Mac. You don’t want any noise in that situation.

As someone who does a lot of sound recording, this doesn't make any sense to me. A mike runs via cable, usually a fair bit of it, to an audio interface that in turn runs to a computer. It isn't good practice to be recording close to a computer, and equally importantly it's completely unnecessary, if one is halfway organised, to be doing something like overdubbing "a few feet" from one. Get longer monitor and mike cables :)

Last edited:

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
As someone who does a lot of sound recording, this doesn't make any sense to me. A mike runs via cable, usually a fair bit of it, to an audio interface that in turn runs to a computer. It isn't good practice to be recording close to a computer, and equally importantly it's completely unnecessary, if one is halfway organised, to be doing something like overdubbing "a few feet" from one. Get longer monitor and mike cables :)
Well… I am and have always been limited on space in my home studio… Or you might be doing small videos where you need to overdub. Then you would sit at your computer.

Not everyone can go to another room to do recording even though you would love to.

Ever since I got my first iMac this has not been an issue. I never had a PC that was silent enough. Just hate to see Apple going in the wrong direction on this even though the 2dB is probably not noticeable.

Last edited:

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
The issue is not idle, the issue is when working hard.
I think that this depends on both the user and the studio space. Mine space is very quiet and I want to keep it that way. That was one of the primary reasons that I got an iMac Pro. It was the first computer I'd seen that could be powerful when needed but quiet when that wasn't required. I, personally, am fine with a computer getting noisier when it's working hard but I do not want to listen to one all the time. Those computers don't stay here long.

We'll see what people find once Mac Studios start arriving. Apple's test results are a reason to be concerned that they may have optimized for powerful at the expense of quiet. That's fine for some. Not so much for others.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Big if true. Let’s wait til next week when reviewers start getting these and there are units at the Apple Stores.

Reactions: loby

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
OMG 15db! 20dB! 25DB! The horror.....

Everyone realizes a ticking watch is 20db right?, Rustling leaves outside? 20db. BREATHING is 10dB...

This is a nonissue....

I watched a rocket engine test once where I had to wear both ear plugs and headphones and couldn’t open my mouth or my teeth would start to vibrate in the sockets.

I‘m hoping the Mac Studio isn’t louder than that. :)

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
If you want to check now if you may or may not hear it. Download an iPhone app called decibel x and check the readings. My home office tends to be around 25dB background noise. If yours is around 30/35 it will likely be inaudible.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
To humans, some fan noises seem louder compared to others.
It depends if a tone with a certain frequency is generated.
Our ears are more sensitive to some frequencies than others, even though technically the sound pressure level is the same.
The larger the fan, the lower the generated frequency.
We are more sensitive to higher frequencies (maybe up to 8kHz) because this is where our communication (vocal chords) happens.
There is a weighted scale (dBA) for judging loudness that corresponds to the hearing threshold of our ears.
Apples measurements should be A-weighted.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you want to check now if you may or may not hear it. Download an iPhone app called decibel x and check the readings. My home office tends to be around 25dB background noise. If yours is around 30/35 it will likely be inaudible.
By spacing the blades of the fan somewhat askew (I forget the specific term), Apple found in last intel based machines - most likely the MBPs that the noise pitch could be lessened. I’m sure Apple has thoroughly adjusted and thought of this in all their Apple Silicon machines that use a fan. Just cause the fan is small doesn’t mean it’s always going to be louder.

Blade spacing, angle, and size. Also rotational speeds as required under idle or heavy cpu/gpu loads would affect.

To humans, some fan noises seem louder compared to others.
It depends if a tone with a certain frequency is generated.
Our ears are more sensitive to some frequencies than others, even though technically the sound pressure level is the same.
The larger the fan, the lower the generated frequency.
We are more sensitive to higher frequencies (maybe up to 8kHz) because this is where our communication (vocal chords) happens.
There is a weighted scale (dBA) for judging loudness that corresponds to the hearing threshold of our ears.
Apples measurements should be A-weighted.

Agreed. Depending on the studio or office you’re working in with your mac/pc it’s possible sound scaping was done to damping noise or certain frequencies.

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
NIOSH Sound Level Meter is another option. It's pretty bare bones compared to Decibel X, but it seems to give me what I need, has topped tests for accuracy, and doesn't require a subscription for longer-term use.

My office was getting down to around 26/27 dB(A) when I tested. What noise there is here tends to be outdoor ambient sounds coming in through the windows. I find that muted background less objectionable than many sources of indoor noise (depending, as others have mentioned, on the sound profile). So... Another home office that may or may not have a problem with the Mac Studio.

I'd love to hear how it goes when yours arrives.

Last edited:

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
The 12-inch Retina MacBook is listed by QuietMac with 12dB noise... but neither does it have a fan nor a spinning drive. ?
That's what Apple officially list it as on their tech spec website (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP712). I've no idea what the noise is at 12dB, whether it be the electrical noise or something else, but it is what Apple says it is.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
By spacing the blades of the fan somewhat askew (I forget the specific term), Apple found in last intel based machines - most likely the MBPs that the noise pitch could be lessened. I’m sure Apple has thoroughly adjusted and thought of this in all their Apple Silicon machines that use a fan. Just cause the fan is small doesn’t mean it’s always going to be louder.

Blade spacing, angle, and size. Also rotational speeds as required under idle or heavy cpu/gpu loads would affect.
Pitch is definitely one of the biggest issue. A loud fan with a lower pitch is much more comfortable than a quieter one with a higher pitch.

I did take sample of the blower fan on the 2019 Mac Pro when I owned it for a short while. It's low pitched, but I didn't enjoy it in my office.

Here's the sample, a Mac Pro with all 3 main fans running

Side blower fan ON: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n3wbtz3vv5stkk/MacPro2019-Blower_on.m4a?dl=0

Side blower fan OFF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lxn3q239mf9e8w/MacPro2019-Blower_off.m4a?dl=0

The Mac Studio may sound similar to the blower of the Mac Pro recorded above. If you don't mind that noise, I imagine the Studio will be absolutely fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.