Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesuslizardjr.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Hi, I have a 2011 Macbook, I cant source the specs as it wont boot.
It boots up to a plain white screen with no logo instantly then sticks there- I have tried resetting the PRAM, SMC, booting into safe mode, disk recovery- basically every option and nothing changes. I assume it's totally dead but im wondering if there's anything I haven't thought of trying yet- i.e. if it's a hardware issue is there a way to diagnose this despite the mac not booting at all?

Secondly is there a way I can get the data and program specific data off this macbook? I thought about buying the same Macbook and simply switching drives- would this work? (if the issues are hardware based and not drive based?) Even if it wouldnt work would it work enough to get the files etc off it.

Thirdly I have a much newer macbook that I use for work- it is possible to boot the drive off the 2011 macbook onto my new macbook? (2017 Macbook Pro) Id like to dig around in the macbook rather than boot the drive as a flashdrive as I'd like to try and claim some settings off some of the apps on it- is this possible? Or would I have to remove the HD and put it in an external casing etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.