Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I'm looking for a logic board for a black MacBook.
It's a 2006 first issue 2GHz 13" MacBook1,1 (model A1181) EMC2092. Core Duo. Graphics Card GMA950 with 667MHz system bus.
I've seen an ad for an A1181 logic board, but from the spec it's a mid 2007 Core2Duo 2GHz, and similar 667MHz system bus (sounds like a MBook2,1).
Would anyone here know if these logic boards are interchangeable. I note that according to MacTracker my 2006 model is 32bit architecture, and the mid 2007 MacBook2,1 is 64bit.

PS: I've just realised that my 2006 is the same model as AphoticD's fascinating 'Mac Crosses Generations' thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
This video explains all of the differences betwwen the 1181 boards and cases, and will help you find your replacement.

Wow. There were quite a few specifics in that overview. I feel lucky your 1.83ghz board slotted into place in the 2.0ghz model MacBook. I guess if you have a 1,1 then any 1,1 board would suit?

It’s the mixing and matching between generations where the specifics of the heatsink type, screw locations, connector types (3-wall vs 4-wall) and the energy star rated vs non-energy star rated battery connections will make all the difference.

I guess it’s going to take quite a bit of deciphering here to determine if a 32-bit 1,1 can natively take a 64-bit C2D board without modification?

@LightBulbFun has explained to me that the 1,1 can take a retro-fitted C2D CPU via his BGA rework method of removing and replacing the CPU, but I wonder if there was a direct (layman’s) upgrade path here.

Reactions: swamprock

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Seems like a recurrent theme with Apple: I have a Mac Mini 1,1 and a Mac Pro 1,1. The only difference between these and their 2,1 successors was a processor upgrade and a firmware change. The processors and firmware upgrades could be retrofitted onto the 1,1 hardware and I did just that with mine.

That allowed better processors on the Mac Pro and doubled the usable RAM on the Mac Mini plus allowed an install of Lion, where the 1,1 stopped at Snow Leopard.

Looks like the Macbook 1,1 and 2,1 mostly follow the same pattern.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Swamprock: Many thanks! That was a most informative and very well produced video. The detail you provide is so impressive and will certainly ensure I don't get an incompatible board.

I wish I could take credit for the video, but that's not me. I found it while looking for the same info that you're seeking. In any event, I'm glad it was helpful :)

What's nice about Macbooks is screen replacement. If you need to replace your screen and it has a 4- wall connector, and the replacement comes with a 3- wall connector, you can just pull the cable from the inverters and swap them.
[doublepost=1524084865][/doublepost]
Wow. There were quite a few specifics in that overview. I feel lucky your 1.83ghz board slotted into place in the 2.0ghz model MacBook. I guess if you have a 1,1 then any 1,1 board would suit?

It’s the mixing and matching between generations where the specifics of the heatsink type, screw locations, connector types (3-wall vs 4-wall) and the energy star rated vs non-energy star rated battery connections will make all the difference.

I guess it’s going to take quite a bit of deciphering here to determine if a 32-bit 1,1 can natively take a 64-bit C2D board without modification?

@LightBulbFun has explained to me that the 1,1 can take a retro-fitted C2D CPU via his BGA rework method of removing and replacing the CPU, but I wonder if there was a direct (layman’s) upgrade path here.

Yeah I think the 1,1s are all interchangeable. It's possible that the 1,1 casing can take a later 2,1 board, although I've never tested that theory. I doubt that it'll take anything later than that, and you'll probably have to swap the inverter cable to fit the 4- wall connector on the board, and of course, you'd have to use the 2,1 heat sink.

Again, this is all conjecture, but I think it'll work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.