Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

As a secondary MacBook to MBP 16", which one would you prefer?

• MacBook Air 13"

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • MacBook Air 15"

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

ArcticBlue00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Planet Earth
Hi,
I'm using MacBook Pro 16" as my main laptop + desktop replacement (primarily at the office), and thinking about getting a secondary MacBook for travel/business trip/cafes.

Considering that it's my go-to laptop to carry around often, choosing 13" MacBook Air seems like a better choice with maximized portability.
But as a 16" MBP user, I'm afraid I might regret not getting 15" Air if the 13" display feels too small and cramped especially when using Split View or multiple windows.

If there are any 16" MBP users who have considered getting a 13"/15" MBA or have actually got one, may I ask for some advice? :)

krdetroit

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
I went from a 16" MBP to a 14" M1 MBP and now on the 13" M2 Air. I travel and perform music around the world and use my Air on stage. Life changing the weight and size (and the compact dual power supply is super). I only do audio (no video editing as of yet) and it's slightly more powerful than the MBP M1... the battery life. I don't even have to plug it in at shows now. Insane.

Reactions: mr_jomo

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I replaced my 17" windows lappy with a 15" MBA. I am older and just can't do tiny screens anymore, so the smallest I was willing to do is 15". I mostly only need it to replace my desktop while traveling. Unbelievable how much lighter it is than my 17". I can only imagine how light the 13" is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
I moved from 16 inch macbook to 13 inch ipad with brydge keyboad (of course this solution is not suitable for you) If 13/15 AIR got 120 hz mini led or oled would be my first choice.Dont understand why Apple dont make device for those who doenst need to do heavy duty task but want thin , light device with great display…… something like XPS from dell

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
My 'old' 2017 13" Air I have now relegated to my mobile / travel work computer, having moved to a Mini for my home / SOHO computer needs.
The 13" is still light enough and of an appropriate size I don't regret carrying it around or pulling it out to work in confined locations (like a plane or train), as I might with the more substantial offerings out there.

There's about a day of travel where I get used to moving down from the 24" monitor at home to the 13" of the Air, but that's about it. No regrets - even as the Air is still rocking Monterey.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Obviously the 15" Air is a lot more lighter (and feels a lot more "portable") than the 16" MBP, but the footprint isn't much different. Yes you can pick it up with one hand very easily, but if you're looking for something to work with where space is limited - coffee shops, trains etc - I think the 13" is the better solution.

That's my only criticism of the 15" Air though - I agree with the other posters who say it's a great balance of screen size, weight, power etc.

Having used all of the machines, I know there was always a lot of focus on the weight of the 16" MBP as being a big disadvantage, but when I was using it as my main laptop for traveling, it was the footprint rather than the weight that became the biggest frustration.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The 13" air makes the most sense for this particular use case. I use a 27" screen windows desktop as my machine but my secondary machine is the 13.6" m2 air and i love it, no issues with the screen being to small at all.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
In my case the laptop (my only Mac) is plugged in 70% of the time to the Apple Studio Display (so display size and quality does not matter to me) while, when I am on the move, I prioritize portability so I think I will buy a 13" Air M3 (when it comes out...).

Reactions: richinaus

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I use one Macbook Pro 16" as my main machine.
I considered getting something with less bulk, tried a few options and... it didn't work out.

Not being able to multitask on a smaller screen is the main handicap, but also having to spend more money, having to deal with my data being split across multiple devices, more clutter across the board... just doesn't work out for me.

Having to deal with just 1kg more in my backpack is a much smaller annoyance.
It also gives me peace to think that I'm squeezing every last cent of value out of a single purchase.

Apple could just make a 15" Air with more ports and multiple external screen support, it would be perfect, but maybe we don't deserve that much.

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Hi,
I'm using MacBook Pro 16" as my main laptop + desktop replacement (primarily at the office), and thinking about getting a secondary MacBook for travel/business trip/cafes.

Considering that it's my go-to laptop to carry around often, choosing 13" MacBook Air seems like a better choice with maximized portability.
But as a 16" MBP user, I'm afraid I might regret not getting 15" Air if the 13" display feels too small and cramped especially when using Split View or multiple windows.

If there are any 16" MBP users who have considered getting a 13"/15" MBA or have actually got one, may I ask for some advice? :)
Since you already having 16” MBP and you try avoiding carrying it around, I don't see the point having another “big” laptop.The 13” MBA would be better choice for your intended usage.

Reactions: ignatius345

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I use one Macbook Pro 16" as my main machine.
I considered getting something with less bulk, tried a few options and... it didn't work out.

Not being able to multitask on a smaller screen is the main handicap, but also having to spend more money, having to deal with my data being split across multiple devices, more clutter across the board... just doesn't work out for me.

Having to deal with just 1kg more in my backpack is a much smaller annoyance.
It also gives me peace to think that I'm squeezing every last cent of value out of a single purchase.

Apple could just make a 15" Air with more ports and multiple external screen support, it would be perfect, but maybe we don't deserve that much.
The point about data being split across multiple devices shouldn't be a problem in this day and age with cloud computing as good as it is.

Reactions: ignatius345

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The point about data being split across multiple devices shouldn't be a problem in this day and age with cloud computing as good as it is.

This is going to be unpopular, but I still prefer having access to my data without relying on the cloud, with all of its pitfalls (possibly having a poor connection on the go, paid subscription, privacy issues).
It sounds like a lot ot potential pain when on the other hand I can just endure carrying 500 grams more in my backpack and having a single machine powerful enough to accommodate my every need.
It's not like I have muscular dystrophy anyway.

Reactions: viking_01

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I think having a secondary laptop makes sense when you have a work setup with a docking station, external monitor, etc. I actually use a Dell 9430 for my primary laptop, and a MB Air M2 15 for when I want to roam the house and work during lunch, for example. Everything is synchronized via OneDrive.

The question becomes, "what will you need to do" with this 2nd machine? If you are using apps with high res or small text, the bigger screen may be beneficial. If you can "get away" with the usability of a 13", that is probably a better choice.

I also have a "gaming laptop" which I have considered adding to the mix, so that I can game when on trips. :)

R

Reactions: outlawarth

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I spent almost four weeks traveling in Europe this summer. The visit involved a couple of very long flights and much train travel in 1st class. I used my 13 MBA in both environments. The size worked really well in those cramped environments and the lack of weight was very much welcome moving around airports and train stations. Most of my use was watching videos, emails, discussion boards, and working on pictures. Real productive work was left at home.

Reactions: jason124

jason124

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2021
I also have the 16" M1 MBP and unless I am heavy lifting with image processing in Lightroom I always grab my 13" M1 MBA. It is like night and day when using it around the house and travelling. I picked up the M1 8Gb Ram and 256 gb for £480. Bargain........

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
I actually use a 12" MacBook as a secondary laptop. Definitely super portable. It handles basic tasks fine. I start to open more than 2 or 3 apps and starts to slow down.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I also have the 16" M1 MBP and unless I am heavy lifting with image processing in Lightroom I always grab my 13" M1 MBA. It is like night and day when using it around the house and travelling. I picked up the M1 8Gb Ram and 256 gb for £480. Bargain........
This is the setup I would have if I was laptop only.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have a 14-inch M1 Max that I use mostly as a desktop replacement. After having it a bit, I realized I didn't need to do any heavy lifting while traveling, that I'd like to save some weight, and that I'd rather not travel around with such an expensive computer (though it has gone down in value since). So I got an M1 MacBook Air as my travel computer (base storage but 16GB of RAM) and it's been awesome. I take it everywhere instead of my 14-inch and it's much nicer to travel with a lighter, less expensive machine. I think when it comes time to replace my M1 Max I may just get a desktop (Mac Studio or whatever there is) instead of another MBP.

Reactions: prospervic

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
It depends how your eyes love the big screen. In my case, I rarely use the 13" once I got 15". For traveling, I brought combo 11" iPad and 15" MBA.

Last edited:

GCC

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2021
I would go for a 13,6" MacBook Air M2 for travel and move around, or even a 13" M1 If you get a special price.
Just bought a 13,6" M2 Air for my son as Christmas present, slim light weight, ideal for travel.
Great laptops.

Last edited:

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I have the M1 MacBook Air which I carry when I step out and I have the 16-inch MacBook Pro for more heavy tasks. The 16-inch is always at home. I love the current combo I have right now.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I currently own a 16 MBP M3 (upgraded from an M1) and used A 13“ MBA for many years, but always found the screen was cramped. I upgraded the MBA to 15 when it was released and couldn’t be happier. but then I usually sleep on the plane.

Reactions: helloapple1

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
This is going to be unpopular, but I still prefer having access to my data without relying on the cloud, with all of its pitfalls (possibly having a poor connection on the go, paid subscription, privacy issues).
It sounds like a lot ot potential pain when on the other hand I can just endure carrying 500 grams more in my backpack and having a single machine powerful enough to accommodate my every need.
It's not like I have muscular dystrophy anyway.

you’re using it (the cloud) wrong lol. Sorry couldn’t resist.

I use Dropbox with local copies of all my data on all my computers. Keeps them all synchronized. It’s seemless. And I can also access my files for reference with my phone.

but yes, it’s not free.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
It would depend on how I'm using it. I used to prefer having everything on a single high-end MBP. And as I occasionally did longer travel (a few months), it was nice having a big screen to work from. But there is some stress when you are repeatedly taking such a high-end machine out of the house. I think if you're only doing shorter travel, it's nice having your main machine be a desktop, and using a relatively inexpensive machine (like a low-end MBA) as your mobile device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.