Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
Just purchased an MacBook Air M2 docking station and was wondering how pairing an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse works. Would I for example have to disconnect the accessories when disconnecting the MacBook from the docking station?. Thanks.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The mouse and keyboard are connected via Bluetooth. You don’t need to disconnect anything.

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
Thanks for the reply and I get that, but when I disconnect the MacBook from the dock will the OS revert to the MacBook trackpad and automatically disconnect the accessories. Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
When the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are connected, you can choose to use either them or the builtin keyboard and trackpad. It’s not one or the other. So, when you disconnect there is nothing that you need to do.

The only exception is if you wish to use the wireless keyboard and mouse with another computer after you take away your MacBook Air. You would need to unpair them and pair them with the other computer, assuming they are Bluetooth. If the are the type that use their own wireless dongles that are plugged into the dock, then they will work with whatever machine you attach to the dock.

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
When the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are connected, you can choose to use either them or the builtin keyboard and trackpad. It’s not one or the other. So, when you disconnect there is nothing that you need to do.

The only exception is if you wish to use the wireless keyboard and mouse with another computer after you take away your MacBook Air. You would need to unpair them and pair them with the other computer, assuming they are Bluetooth. If the are the type that use their own wireless dongles that are plugged into the dock, then they will work with whatever machine you attach to the dock.
Thank you. This was the answer I was looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.