Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRT2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Abu Dhabi, UAE
MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 | MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | 2TB

I would like to seek opinion from Macrumors Community if I should sell away my MacBook Pro. There are no physical damage or dent. It is a daily driver for browsing, word processing and spreadsheets and occasional.

Some years back, I have upgraded it to 16 GB Ram ( 8GB + 8GB) and also to a 2 TB SSD.

Except for the laptop being old and also the visual/graphics are no comparison to the present generation of laptop screens, there are't many things to complain about.

My concerns are how long more MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 will withstand or stay alive with my above specs?

What would be a ballpark figure if I were to sell it away? I am unsure if an Apple Store will do trade-in? (Perhaps I should let them have a look on site).

I appreciate all your valuable feedback and honest opinion. Thank you everyone.

Regards,
RT2020

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Search eBay to find sold items exactly or similar to your MBP specs to determine value.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
As much as I hate to say this . . . laptops with your specs are going for around $150. If you try using Apple Store, you will get even less from them.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
As much as I hate to say this . . . laptops with your specs are going for around $150. If you try using Apple Store, you will get even less from them.
I don't think Apple would give anything for it, other than offering to recycle it.

Reactions: Macdctr

flat6pilot

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
I just went through the same dilemma. I still used my 15" Mid-2012 unibody with an SSD and 16gb daily and it handled basic tasks GREAT. I started getting the itch for a 16 MPB and pulled the trigger on an eBay "open box" deal from quickshipelectronics a few months ago. I did hate to retire the 2012 because it still worked and had the old Mac charm.

Overall it was a nice quality of life upgrade with the better display, better speakers, latest OS, etc. No regrets.

The 2012 is worth more to me than the $150 I could sell it for. It's back in its original box for now until I found a use for it. Was thinking about running Windows via BootCamp and playing some of my nostalgic PC games. We'll see.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
It’s EOL. Maybe some demand from people who wanna use it with Linux etc… I bet you get more for it in 10 years+ than today when it becomes rare and people seeking for it out of nostalgia.

Reactions: chmania

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 | MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | 2TB

I would like to seek opinion from Macrumors Community if I should sell away my MacBook Pro. There are no physical damage or dent. It is a daily driver for browsing, word processing and spreadsheets and occasional.

Some years back, I have upgraded it to 16 GB Ram ( 8GB + 8GB) and also to a 2 TB SSD.

Except for the laptop being old and also the visual/graphics are no comparison to the present generation of laptop screens, there are't many things to complain about.

My concerns are how long more MacOs Catalina 10.15.7 will withstand or stay alive with my above specs?

What would be a ballpark figure if I were to sell it away? I am unsure if an Apple Store will do trade-in? (Perhaps I should let them have a look on site).

I appreciate all your valuable feedback and honest opinion. Thank you everyone.

Regards,
RT2020
If you don't need the $150 or less you might get selling it, just keep it and buy the best newest one you can afford. It had been there for so long, and it won't take space, and most of all it still works.

Reactions: Torty

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
If you still want to use it, why not use Opencore Legacy patcher to install Sonoma onto it? Will work fine.
Depending on the country you might get between 100-200 for it if you do decide on selling it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.